What is going on when you actually feel better as a long race progresses / injuries subside? (Read 270 times)

DoppleBock

PS - Having an excessive cumpulsive personality, I am smart enough not to touch drugs.  That would have no chance of ending well.

http://a-big-horse.blogspot.com/ 

2013 Goals ~ Mar < 3:00, 5M < 29, 10k < 35  

zonykel

I ran a half marathon once in which one of my knees hurt on the side (ITB, probably). I ran with the pain for several miles (5?), and then all of a sudden, the pain went away, and I was able to run faster the rest of the race.

the pain returned after the race, though.

I asked my dr. About it, and i think she said my body released hormones to counter the pain. My memory may be Faulty, but I haven't read anything that would substantiate that claim.

PS - Having an excessive cumpulsive personality, I am smart enough not to touch drugs.  That would have no chance of ending well.

Same for me.  And I figure that with Gambling and Booze, 2 vices is plenty enough already.  No need to add a third, right? Big grin

The Plan (big parts)→  /// April:  Hampton, VA 24 Hour Run for Cancer (PR 80 Miles) ///  Nov:  New York Marathon  ///  Dec:  Seashore State Park 50K  ///  ∞

Mmmmm...beer

I asked my dr. About it, and i think she said my body released hormones to counter the pain. My memory may be Faulty, but I haven't read anything that would substantiate that claim.

I don't have any links, but I have read that studies have shown increased endorphin levels will reduce the affects of pain.  Exercise, among other activities, has been shown to increase endorphin levels.  Sex/orgasms will also increase endorphin levels, and one study actually showed that just thinking about sex will cause your body to release more endorphins, thereby reducing pain levels.

-Dave

My running blog

2014 Goals | sub-19 5k done! | sub-40 10k done! | BQ done! | sub-3 M

Chantilly75

It's always something...

K L Duke Congratulations on your 24 hr.

A couple of years ago, I read some articles in Running Times, I think,  which gave the opinion that over-long distance can help some kinds of running injuries.  Can't remember what the reasoning was.

Maybe that is what happened for you.

DoppleBock

I have managed to eliminate cigarettes and gambling ~ I gave up alcohol for 18 months in 2005-2006 but decided life was better with it than without.

Same for me.  And I figure that with Gambling and Booze, 2 vices is plenty enough already.  No need to add a third, right? Big grin

DoppleBock

Too many bad places to take this, I will not ... But I am thinking about it.

I don't have any links, but I have read that studies have shown increased endorphin levels will reduce the affects of pain.  Exercise, among other activities, has been shown to increase endorphin levels.  Sex/orgasms will also increase endorphin levels, and one study actually showed that just thinking about sex will cause your body to release more endorphins, thereby reducing pain levels.

I'm back!

Well to start with, where's the relevant RA log activity type?

Mmmmm...beer

I did make it a lil too easy. lol

-Dave

My running blog

2014 Goals | sub-19 5k done! | sub-40 10k done! | BQ done! | sub-3 M