Dumb things we runner types are guilty of... (Read 1188 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yesterday was my long run for the week (12+ miles), so tonite was supposed to be short and EASY. But I made the mistake of lacing up my flashy, lightweight NB 902s. Of course, then I felt obligated to run hard and fast right from the start (especially when I saw another, slower runner out on the trail...couldn't very well let her catch up to me in my snazzy shoes). After 1.5 miles of that I was hurtin'. Dumbass, thou name art Kirsten. So the remaining almost 3 miles stunk and were very S-L-O-W and stiff. Der. What have you done lately that has made you want to give yourself a well-deserved dope-slap? Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

madness baby

Eating a protein bar right before going for a 5- mile run (I was in traffic, didn't think I'd get to the trail that quickly, but I did). I ran 1 mile. So ashamed I can't even log it. Sad
      deb
        I do this more times than I should admit... Head out to run without a hat on, a little while into the run the sweat is dripping into my eyes, my eyes are burning, I'm blinking and wiping my eyes as I run. And every time I say "why do my eyes burn so much?"...and every time I say "oh yeah, duh, I'm not wearing a hat, and the hat always absorbs that extra sweat!". I'm a slow learner. (I should know better than to not wear a hat)

Michelle

Forgetting to wear my helmet! Tongue Okay... Seriously... it has been just not getting out there to run... so what I have not done...

Vim

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and I should mention that my right knee is really pissed at me after last night. That'll learn me to not turn a recovery run into a tempo run. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

I recently started a run and realized that my running shorts were backwards... I decided that it shouldn't be noticeable since they are all one color, but i forgot about the fact that they were not made to be worn that way. Not too comfortable! Roll eyes
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Wow, asking me to name dumb things I'm guilty of is like asking someone to fish out of a barrel -- it's just too easy. A few "highlights": ■ Running immediately after powering down a 32oz chocolate malt. I spewed about a mile in (without breaking stride Yes ), but had to stop at a buddy's house for some mouthwash to remove the malted hurl taste. Dead ■ Thinking that running 3.5 miles to Little Caesar's for the lunch special (and running back) was a good idea. The return trip resulted in the slowest 3.4 miles I've ever run followed by the fastest 0.1. ■ Racing in 9-year old flats. They actually crunched when I flexed them. Run really fast, hurt really bad. ■ Poor college kid or not, no excuse for being so cheap as to put 1200+ miles on a pair of shoes --> stress fracture. Should have saved a little bit of my beer money for shoes. ■ Pretty much every time I've left the house for a run thinking that I'll be okay and won't have to go to the bathroom. After 20+ years, thousands of miles, numerous snowballs/ leaves used for wiping, and one wicked case of poison ivy, I'm still doing it. ■ Causing my heart to fibrillate after slamming ice-cold liquid following a run. It's happened 3 times, each resulting in a trip to the ER, and the last two requiring cardioversion (CLEAR!) to get me back to normal rhythm. Message to cold liquids from Jeff: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, shame on my parents because stupidity like that can't be learned -- it can only be bred. ■ Most recently (still ongoing), repeatedly trying to stretch my calf over the last week ever since I had a bad cramp last Tuesday. Up until yesterday, I kept stretching the hell out of it throughout the day, and it kept on hurting. Now that I've stopped cold-stretching it and leaving it alone, it's improving.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Lazy idiot

Wow, asking me to name dumb things I'm guilty of is like asking someone to fish out of a barrel -- it's just too easy. A few "highlights": ■ Causing my heart to fibrillate after slamming ice-cold liquid following a run. It's happened 3 times, each resulting in a trip to the ER, and the last two requiring cardioversion (CLEAR!) to get me back to normal rhythm. Message to cold liquids from Jeff: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, shame on my parents because stupidity like that can't be learned -- it can only be bred.
                  This is a University of Michigan education put to good use. Big grin
                  ■ Most recently (still ongoing), repeatedly trying to stretch my calf over the last week ever since I had a bad cramp last Tuesday. Up until yesterday, I kept stretching the hell out of it throughout the day, and it kept on hurting. Now that I've stopped cold-stretching it and leaving it alone, it's improving.
                  Yes, cold-stretching is evil. I've learned to warm-up and stretch, and then do more stretching after a run.

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gah, my right leg is still hurting...not as bad today as yesterday, but I'm hoping it doesn't cause me to shorten today's run. No more wearing flashy shoes for short, easy runs. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Gah, my right leg is still hurting...not as bad today as yesterday, but I'm hoping it doesn't cause me to shorten today's run. No more wearing flashy shoes for short, easy runs. k
                      It's amazing how much of an impact our shoe type can have on our body. Live and learn! I learned not to wear my old worn out trail shoes for running anymore. OUCH.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's amazing how much of an impact our shoe type can have on our body. Live and learn! I learned not to wear my old worn out trail shoes for running anymore. OUCH.
                        It wasn't the shoes...it was me running like a dumbass the day after a long run--because I had my speedy shoes on and felt the need to run speedy instead of slow and easy, as I *should* have done. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

It wasn't the shoes...it was me running like a dumbass the day after a long run--because I had my speedy shoes on and felt the need to run speedy instead of slow and easy, as I *should* have done.k
                          OHHHH. This whole time I was thinking it was because of the shoes! Duh. Got it. Big grin The speedy shoes part confused me. Blush

Michelle

How about going out with 2 pairs of sunglasses? Confused One on head and wearing a pair.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Gah, my right leg is still hurting...not as bad today as yesterday, but I'm hoping it doesn't cause me to shorten today's run. No more wearing flashy shoes for short, easy runs. Tongue k
                              Ughhhhhhh sorry to hear that!! Just make sure to take it easy! Hopefully you'll feel much better after getting your run in!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

How about going out with 2 pairs of sunglasses? Confused One on head and wearing a pair.
                                This morning I tried to put my reg. glasses on over top of my sunglasses. My 16 y/o was hysterical with laughter.

Michelle