Out of the frying pan, into the fire (Read 1039 times)

In light of some recent impact-related injuries I have sustained, for the past few weeks I have not even been logging my runs or times due to self-esteem issues (lol). Today, however, I decided to try something new. I'd done reading about barefoot running and how it lessens impact, etc.  I thought "Hey! That sounds like it just might make this a bit more bearable." So, I threw my 400 mi. brooks trainers in the trash and went out for a 10K run.

The good news is that I didn't have any of the knee / calf pains that I was having before. I felt like I was running slightly faster with the same amount or less exertion than with shoes. However, I now have three blisters on my right forefoot, on the pad of the foot, my big toe, and the toe next to it. Apparently this is because I am not lifting my feet enough. The idea of being laid up drives me nuts. How soon can I expect to be back on the road, and how can I speed recovery? 

thanks! 

runnerdave 

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

. I'd done reading about barefoot running and how it lessens impact, etc.  I thought "Hey! That sounds like it just might make this a bit more bearable." So, I threw my 400 mi. brooks trainers in the trash and went out for a 10K run.

Did you read the pages about easing into it?

No idea about healing your foot, but once healed, you may want to try taking it a bit more gradually. Kinda like the whole running thing before your injury when you were pounding out speed session after hard session after tempo session - don't repeat this.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, 10K is mighty ambitious for a first BF run.  I'd suggest <1K for the first week or two, with alternate rest days.  And don't jump to 10K in week 3, either.

xor

I thought this thread was going to be about Green Bay cancelling their race because of heat... leading into the Madison Marathon this week, which is already threatening to cancel (they make the call Friday) because of forecasted heat.

On topic: What Led said.

I walk around barefoot all day (benefit of working from home), still find the quarter mile or so of barefoot running quite painful on asphalt a couple of times I tried it to see If I am missing something.  

Try easing into this thing by running on grass infield at a track if possible.

Did you read the pages about easing into it?

I wish...

Treating my feet with ice now, hoping the swelling will go down in a few days. Going to try running on softer surfaces once I'm healed.

By the way, I noticed a big difference between running on asphalt and on the concrete that is on city sidewalks. The latter is quite softer

and easier to run on, but you can kind of get the same thing sometimes if you run directly on the white stripe painted on the side of the road. It depends on the road, though. 

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

I wish...

Treating my feet with ice now, hoping the swelling will go down in a few days. Going to try running on softer surfaces once I'm healed.

By the way, I noticed a big difference between running on asphalt and on the concrete that is on city sidewalks. The latter is quite softer

and easier to run on, but you can kind of get the same thing sometimes if you run directly on the white stripe painted on the side of the road. It depends on the road, though. 

Hmm...do you mean "smoother" instead of "softer"? Concrete is typically 8 to 9 times harder than asphalt (drop a basketball or any rubber ball on each surface from the same height and see off which it bounces higher).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                luken

RA's cranky old teenager

Like all others have said, you need to ease into it. I used Brooks Ghost 4 shoes for my main trainers, while using Kinvara 2 shoes for workouts/short runs for the cross country season. I then ditched the Brooks and used the Kinvaras for everyday trainers for the last half of winter and all of spring track. I just got a pair of New Balance Minimus 20 trail shoes for workouts/short runs over the summer. "Barefoot" shoes should get you the same benefits as barefoot running (don't quote me on that), but it's all about doing things gradually. Right now I'm using them 2 times a week for 5-7 mile runs. I'll probably max out my Minimuses at 4-5 days a week, while still keeping my Kinvaras for 9 or 10+ mile runs.

I do love running in "barefoot" shoes. They make the trail feel great underfoot. Sometime I wish they didn't kill my calves so much, but that's just because I'm getting used to them.

As for your foot, I had a similar problem. My first run in my Minimuses (5 miles) was done without socks. I got two big blisters on my right foot that hurt like hell. What I usually do with blisters is I pop them right away, clip away the excess skin, disinfect, and put a band-aid on it. I did that and wore socks the next time I ran in them and only had a little bit of pain.

Hope I helped!

That's probably maybe mostly true.

jfa

That reminds me of last week when I was getting the boat ready for launching. I had gotten off work early and went down to the marina to work on it but I had only dress shoes with me. I keep a pair of 5fingers on the boat for deck shoes ( the original purpose of 5 fingers were deck shoes on a sailboat). Anyway, I wore them all day and thought they feel so good, I'm going to go for a run in them. I too ran too far and after 6.5 miles in them, I had blisters in the back of both feet and on the top of my toes.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

That reminds me of last week when I was getting the boat ready for launching. I had gotten off work early and went down to the marina to work on it but I had only dress shoes with me. I keep a pair of 5fingers on the boat for deck shoes ( the original purpose of 5 fingers were deck shoes on a sailboat). Anyway, I wore them all day and thought they feel so good, I'm going to go for a run in them. I too ran too far and after 6.5 miles in them, I had blisters in the back of both feet and on the top of my toes.

Huh, one of the reasons I love VFFs is that I haven't had a blister (nor a black/lost toenail) since I started using them.  You might try using the Injinji toe liners/socks with them, as I do.

if you or someone you know was injured while running barefoot contact the law offices of Stephen "Skippy" Weinstein.  we will sue the pants off the manufacturer of your bare feet and get you the settlement you deserve.