spin bike at home? recommendations? (Read 3515 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well.......... I have Coach Troy, too.  If your hardcore friends shudder at them, than it's because they are pretty bland.  B-O-R-I-N-G.  Also, don't forget that that your don't HAVE to go as hard.  It's pretty individual.  Robby's are more intense ... but again, you get to choose how hard you make it, or use the big ring or the little ring. 

Hubby has said that Troy is a tad dorky.  So Robby is less so?  Any specific DVDs you recommend?  I'm about to place a Christmas order on Amazon, so I could add that for a stocking stuffer.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Elly.

Hubby has said that Troy is a tad dorky.  So Robby is less so?  Any specific DVDs you recommend?  I'm about to place a Christmas order on Amazon, so I could add that for a stocking stuffer.

I have the Race Day DVD.  They take you through a good warm up.  They set up cameras on two of the bikes.  They take you with them for about 40 minutes of race.  They offer advice on intensity on scale of 2 to 10.  You ride along with them trying to match his efforts and intensity.  I use a yoga mat to catch all the sweat.  It's challenging. 

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just discovered that we already own the Race Day one...huh.  Someone must have given us that one.  I look forward to trying that.

Just finished Spinervals #37 - Suffering on the Chesapeake.  It actually got easier as we went.  Well, not so much for my hubby, but for me.  The intervals became increasingly more anaerobic.  Sprinting is definitely my strong suit.  He's more of an aerobic beast.  We took turns laughing at each other. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Look at the IM Arizona results (2010).  Troy Jacobson (coach Troy), second place amateur, first master, total time of 9:05.  If you think he's a dork maybe you should race him first.  That result has caused me to dust off a few of my Spinerval DVDs.  His bike split was solid, but he went sub 3 on the run.  Fuckity.

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Look at the IM Arizona results (2010).  Troy Jacobson (coach Troy), second place amateur, first master, total time of 9:05.  If you think he's a dork maybe you should race him first.  That result has caused me to dust off a few of my Spinerval DVDs.  His bike split was solid, but he went sub 3 on the run.  Fuckity.

He can still be totally badass, but a dork, nonetheless.  The most gifted athletes I know IRL all seem to be more than a little dorky--not that this is a bad thing.  I think it takes a certain degree of "off-ness" to be that awesome at anything, whether it be sports or music or Science...

~ Sarah Kay

Elly.

I like the Robby Ventura Race Day DVD because it is something different.   The camera on the bikes is totally different and exciting.  "Coach" Troy does a spinning class for folks on trainers, and that is way better than spinning classes on Schwinn Spinners at your local gym. 

I enjoyed the scenery on the Race Day DVD.  I did not enjoy the disconnect of going up and down hills and cornering, but it is magnificent for intervals and I found a significant improvement in my biking on my first spring run. 

I am thinking of putting more Robby Ventura's on my Christmas list. 

Elly.

I just discovered that we already own the Race Day one...huh.  Someone must have given us that one.  I look forward to trying that.

Well, zoom, how did it go? 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, zoom, how did it go? 

I haven't tried that one, yet.  I'll probably be riding the nowhere bike on Thurs, so I may give that one a spin, then.

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I'd be interested in knowing. I'm currently enjoying some free Trihardist.com podcasts (I then can watch TV with caption on if needed), but am interested in what others do.

TRUST THE PROCESS

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Finally got around to doing the Robbie Ventura "Race Day" DVD...that is all sorts of fabulous!  Can't wait to get more of his workouts.  Definitely made the time pass and I never would put that sort of effort into any workout while watching a movie or TV.  Why is he not as popular as Coach Troy?  I think he's a lot more informative and less of a knob.  Pretty easy on the eyes, too.

~ Sarah Kay

farm girl

Hi, ..if anyone is still reading this forum, I'm the person that asked the initial question.  Thanks to everyone for all the great comments.  FYI, my friendly UPS driver is supposed to be delivering a new fluid trainer, computer, and dvd's next week!  Hopefully, I'll be doing some training on my hybrid bike by this time next week.  Who knows, maybe I'll pick up a road bike next summer?  Thanks again for your commments.  Take Care~

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Who knows, maybe I'll pick up a road bike next summer?

Ooh, and then you will already have an indoor bike to keep on the trainer...win-win!  Enjoy your indoor workouts in the meantime.  Spring is coming! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Finally got around to doing the Robbie Ventura "Race Day" DVD...that is all sorts of fabulous!  Can't wait to get more of his workouts.  Definitely made the time pass and I never would put that sort of effort into any workout while watching a movie or TV.  Why is he not as popular as Coach Troy?  I think he's a lot more informative and less of a knob.  Pretty easy on the eyes, too.

I did the "Speed" DVD today. Great stuff! I also like that he does the ride with you....unlike Coach Troy and the clipboard (at least in the Spinervals DVD I have). The ride went really fast and was a lot of fun!

......and yes, he is very easy on the eyes! 

I will say though, I like Spinervals, too, but def like Robbie Ventura better.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Elly.

I can't even get myself back into the Coach Troy stuff.  Robby sings my song.  I'm getting a great workout here.  I even scream at him for cycling too close to the curb! 

I'm going back to my local bike shop and see if there is anything similar.  I'd rather get their recommendation than choosing from Amazon on some outside chance it would be good. 

On the other hand, my husband feels like he gets a good workout from Coach Troy.  But he does not enjoy the challenges ... he's into fitness. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just ordered the Robbie Ventura "Force" DVD.  I will post a review once I have had a chance to give it a go.  I have high hopes.  I think I might do the Race Day one again, tomorrow.  Hubby is feeling a little under the weather, so I may be "racing" all by my lonesome.  That was fun the other day working out side-by-side and pretending we're in the peloton. Tongue 

~ Sarah Kay