Do you want Garmin Connect API integration for RunningAhead? (Read 1006 times)

flauta

Eric, that course of action makes sense to me.  In any event, I agree with the sentiment expressed by others - I support the route that you deem to be the best.

BinL

Way to go Eric.  Thanks!!

Bin

Just realized I hadn't donated, now i did.

peaches123

I just got a device that uses Garmin Connect, so donating now. Smile  Yay!

BeeRunB

Congrats on the win on the modified contract, Eric, and for the expansion in RA's capabilities. You have a fine creation going here.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Garmin came back with a slightly modified contract.  I doubt they'll budge anymore so I'm planning to finalize the deal.  The integration should be ready in a couple of weeks.  Once deployed, the workouts you upload to Garmin Connect will be pushed to RA automatically.

I skimmed through Tapiriik's code last night, since it's open sourced.  It interacts with Garmin Connect through Garmin Connect's REST interface.  In other words, it is pretending to be a web browser.  This could be why Tapiriik breaks every time Garmin makes a change.  Garmin's API program ensures it would not happen to RA.  If Tapiriik has a large enough user base, Garmin might take notice and force it to sign up for the API program.

Tapiriik is welcome to integrate with RA via RA's API.  I don't have the resources to work on another project at the moment.

eric Smile

Now I just need to get Garmin Connect to work!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

When this thread got rolling I knew that it was getting close to that time for me to chip in again, and today I got the gentle reminder of ads where normally there are none. This time around I settled on a simple formula. $10 + $42 = $1 a week, so that's what I did. It's still a ridiculous bargain. I absolutely don't care what Smile does with the money, as long as I get to keep using RA. I'll keep coming back to RA pretty much however all the Garmin stuff shakes out. How I get the info into my log is utterly secondary to me, as long as I can get it there somehow. Thanks, Eric, for all your hard work.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

I don't believe it will be a problem.  I use Garmin Xpress to automatically upload to Garmin Connect.  Once the data is there, you can export it to TCX or GPX and then upload that here.

I currently do not directly upload to RA.  I have a GARMIN 610 (and an older 405) and use the ANT Agent to upload from my watch via the ANT stick to my computer.  As part of the upload process my run data is transmitted to Garmin Connect though I do not use their site (just never shut it off).  I then use the file upload function in RA to upload the GPX file from my computer.

This works will for me, but I wonder how I will be impacted if I ever upgrade to Garmin Express.  Will I lose the GPX files that are automatically stored on my computer and with it the ability to upload them to RA?

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

eric :)

Update: I've submitted all the paperwork.  I am waiting for Garmin to process the application and send me the invoice.  I have no idea how long it will take but we're moving toward having this project completed.

tomatolover

yay!!!!!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Excellent!

[more Bill & Ted than Mr. Burns]

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

HermosaBoy

Excellent!

[more Bill & Ted than Mr. Burns]

or Wayne and Garth?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Been away for a while but just getting back to things and I'm glad I came across this thread. Thanks for the reminder Mike! And Thanks Eric. Keep up the great work!

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

or Wayne and Garth?

And SCHWING!!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Update: I've submitted all the paperwork.  I am waiting for Garmin to process the application and send me the invoice.  I have no idea how long it will take but we're moving toward having this project completed.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/