Keybank VT City Marathon (Read 574 times)

labhiker

Im thinking of running the VT City Marathon this spring. Prior to registering Im interested in what other might think of the course and race. Im thinking the course may be beautiful, however am concerned about its terrain? I consider myself a "marathon newbie" as this will be my second marathon. I ran Hartford in October and had a great time. I didn't break any speed records (4:30), however had a great run and enjoyed the course/ day. All the hours of low-HR training paid off and I never noticed the "wall" or any other complications. Other than a few bumps towards the the end of new course, I liked the relatively flat terrain in Hartford. How challenging is the course in VT vs. Hartford? The website references a 1/4 climb at mile 15, followed by rolling terrain. My interest is to run a comfortable marathon in the spring and hopefully find a nice course without any killer hills. Any and all comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks Undecided

labhiker

2009: BQ?

Young Gun

I've run it twice. 2005 it was my first marathon with a time of 4:06 2006 I ran it again and set a PR of 3:40 GREAT race. Challenging course with TONS of support on the sidelines. Do it...DO IT!

www.HumanPotentialRunning.com

I ran the Vermont City in 01. It was my second Marathon , and I generally enjoyed the experience. It is well organized and the town/city of Burlington really turns out in support. Like you, however, I assumed the race would be scenic. It wasn't always. A significant part of the race is an out and back on a limited access highway that is not especially attractive. I was also surprised by how little of the race offered views of the lake. I don't mean to imply the race was ugly; I just think it doesn't do the picturesque State justice. As for the hills... The big one is pretty rough. That said, it's right in the middle of town and the spectator support there is loud and helpful. The rest of the course has some less obviously climbs that, taken together with the big hill, make it a challenging. That said, I PR'ed it by ten minutes. If you want to get out to a nice area for a fun, well organized marathon, then keep this one in mind. However, if you're trying to shave a couple minutes off past times, pick something else.
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

It's a good race. Don't worry about the hill, the crowds were so loud that I started showing off and ran it way too fast. The highway part isn't bad, it's actually really convenient because it's partially lined with forest. Lots of people were obviously glad to finally get out of the city and find a place to pee. As for scenery overall, the thing to keep in mind is that Burlington is a city. If you want country roads and cows, you won't find them on this course. But you will find a very nice downtown, parks, a forested trail along the lake, and a couple nice neighborhoods.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              I ran this last year as my first marathon and loved it. The hill at mile 15 is noticeable, but I didn't find it too hard. As mentioned in a previous post, there is a lot of fan support there. There is also a line of drummers keeping the pace as you run up. There is a less publicized hill earlier in the race, on a stretch of highway where you run out and back. You run down it first, and then back up. I don't think it is as steep, but it goes on for longer. I loved the fan support in the race; the town really comes together behind the race. Even after it started pouring rain, there were plenty of people out cheering, offering fruit slices, banging pots & pans together, etc. The course goes off on 4 loops and passes back through town after each. Because of this, you are often coming up to a big crowd of onlookers. The final 4 miles of the race is on a bike path with a slight downhill slope, good conditions for when you are at your most tired. Aside from the fairly ugly stretch of highway early on, it really is a nice course. You go through downtown, including 2 passes on Church Street (the main shopping street in Burlington), some nice neighborhoods as well as along the lake. The organization of the race was very good, including free shuttle buses to most area hotels, a good expo beforehand and a good assortment of food vendors (free and pay) at the finish. The best endorsement I can give it is that I'm already registered for the '08 race as my second marathon!

-------------------------------------
              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

I ran it in 2006. I wasn't a huge fan of the out and back, but I've certainly run worse and it's only 2 out and 2 back. The rest of the course was great. As mentioned above, it can be tough to find a place to pee - I tried peeling off a few times, but there were always kids in the secluded spots I thought I'd seen, and the johns were always full or turned the wrong way so that I couldn't find the door. If you have any family or friends coming to watch you run, then this is a GREAT race because you loop through the same area (from different angles clover leaf style) multiple times - my wife got to see me 6 times without having to hustle. A quarter mile for her was 5 miles for me.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

ajha

I've only done three marathons but my first two were the VCM. My time is generally around 4:25. I live and train in Vermont so did not feel it was a hard course as I was able to run "the hill' many times. Very well orgnanized! A great course for spectators to see you multiple times due to going through Church Street/Battery Park areas multiple times. It does have great scenery. I am looking for different marathons to do and was wondering about the Hartford Marathon. Is it well organized? Scenic? Lots of spectators? I also did the MCM this fall. It was great also. ajh
                  BeeRunB

Im thinking of running the VT City Marathon this spring. Prior to registering Im interested in what other might think of the course and race. Im thinking the course may be beautiful, however am concerned about its terrain? I consider myself a "marathon newbie" as this will be my second marathon. I ran Hartford in October and had a great time. I didn't break any speed records (4:30), however had a great run and enjoyed the course/ day. All the hours of low-HR training paid off and I never noticed the "wall" or any other complications. Other than a few bumps towards the the end of new course, I liked the relatively flat terrain in Hartford. How challenging is the course in VT vs. Hartford? The website references a 1/4 climb at mile 15, followed by rolling terrain. My interest is to run a comfortable marathon in the spring and hopefully find a nice course without any killer hills. Any and all comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks Undecided
                    I ran VCM in 2005 and liked the race. I will be running it this year as well. The course is varied and interesting. There are hills, with one biggie at mile 15 or so. I found this hill to be a lot of fun with the big crowds, Taiko drummers, and challenge of it. After that hill it's pretty flat with some slight rolling. The last 3 miles in on a bike path with a nice view of the lake. There is an out and back section in the first half that has pretty slanted camber in the road, but it's not for very long, and it balances itself off with the out and back. I enjoyed the the pasta supper. They had a great speaker from Runner's World. The city of Burlington is nice, and of course Vermont is as well. I recommend the race. --Jimmy
                    labhiker

Thanks for the comments on VT City Marathon. I'm now in and am not going to let the elevation profile scare me too much. Knowing its there I guess I will just absorb the big hill in the middle and assume the rest to be somewhat similar to the terrain I run here in northern RI (many rolling ups/ downs on my training routes). ajha - I would recommend Hartford. I greatly enjoyed the course. For the most part, I would consider it to be a relatively flat course with only a few bumps/ hills toward the end (possibly around miles 24 & 25). At this point in the course there is not much of a crowd as you are on a section of highway and then a bike path, however the crowds pick up towards the last half mile or so. The race was well organized and there were many water stops and support facilities. jimmy - Is there any reason for choosing VT again as opposed to the new marathon in in Providence? Being from RI myself, I have been contemplating staying local as opposed to traveling north?

labhiker

labhiker

Thanks for the comments on VT City Marathon. I'm now in and am not going to let the elevation profile scare me too much. Knowing its there I guess I will just absorb the big hill in the middle and assume the rest to be somewhat similar to the terrain I run here in northern RI (many rolling ups/ downs on my training routes). ajha - I would recommend Hartford. I greatly enjoyed the course. For the most part, I would consider it to be a relatively flat course with only a few bumps/ hills toward the end (possibly around miles 24 & 25). At this point in the course there is not much of a crowd as you are on a section of highway and then a bike path, however the crowds pick up towards the last half mile or so. The race was well organized and there were many water stops and support facilities. jimmy - Is there any reason for choosing VT again as opposed to the new marathon in in Providence? Being from RI myself, I have been contemplating staying local as opposed to traveling north?

labhiker

VictorN

I think it's a great course, but then I'm a local. The hill at 15 isn't too bad, as long as you take it easy. The big mistake many people make is that at mile 15 they are still feeling relatively fresh. They come around the corner, hear the drums and the crowd, and start to pick up the effort. Don't do that! You will pay for it later. Treat the hill with respect. Let your pace slow as you maintain your effort. Save the heroics for the end. Victor