Bob Hearn, American Pheidippides (Read 391 times)

King of PhotoShop

Today I published a story in the Dallas Morning News about Bob Hearn (bhearn to all of us here) and his outstanding Spartathlon achievement.  I hope you enjoy it.  We are all fortunate to have a friend here of his accomplishments.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/more-sports/running/headlines/20151005-bob-hearn-american-pheidippides.ece

Spareribs

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Wow, nice article, and GREAT job, bhearn!!

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Mmmmm...beer

Way to go Bob, that's awesome!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Tar Heel Mom

kween

This is such awesomeness. Both his amazing accomplishment and the story!

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Village people

Great story and Bob is amazing! Loved reading this.

kcam

Indeed!  Good story Spareribs and thanks for linking it.

Congratulations Bob.  You have no idea how impressed I am with this run (and what it took to get there).  I remember your hamstring tear, tendonitis and a hip problem as well back in 2013 that had you rehabbing and not running at all for a while.  At our age it's super hard to come back from any injury much less the way you sprang back from these.  Well done!!

Pretty amazing.......great article too...

Champions are made when no one is watching

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

very cool!

Bill Wagnon / stl

King of PhotoShop

That was kind of all of you to comment on the story.  I had a very difficult time writing it, as a good rule of thumb for a blog post is about 600 words.  I wanted to tell the historical background story because it has long fascinated me, but Bob's superb effort deserved the most attention of course, and I'm still not sure I got the balance just right.

On Bob's Facebook page I commented that my 19-year old son often quotes Mark Twain, who said something like, "I didn't have time to write you a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead." One of Bob's friends, no doubt as erudite as Bob himself, responded that the quote actually came from Pascal, long before Twain said it.  He was right too. I looked it up and several writers have used some variation. But it's hard to write "tight" with a broad historical story combined with a modern super feat as Bob performed.

There's a lot of fun back story too.  srlopez, an outstanding runner himself, wrote on FB, "Be sure to mention that he is from Oklahoma," so I did. Also, Bob pointed out to me that while he was the first American male, he was not the first American.  In fact, two U.S. women finished ahead of him. Women are extraordinary ultra runners as many of you know.

Thank you all, and especially you Phidippides!  Spareribs

Nasreddin Hoja

Yay bhearn!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

WTG Bob!

WTG Spareribs!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

bhearn

Thanks Spareribs!

Finally, I've finished my race report. Warning, you won't want to read it. Seriously, I believe it may be the longest race report ever written. Weighs in at 15,000 words.

http://bobhearn.blogspot.com/2015/10/spartathlon-2015.html

Wow. Congratulations, bhearn - I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to reading the blog entry. Amazing accomplishment.

onefatchick

Amazing accomplishment!!!  Congratulations!!!

Joann Y

Just finished reading your race report. Not only a phenomenal accomplishment but your ability to put it all into perspective, to appreciate the beauty and history of the country, and sheer love of running is beyond words. Bravo Bob!

And gotta love that smile on your face in the tent at the finish!