Transitioning shoes (Read 461 times)

I have had multiple injuries in stability shoes (metatarsal strss fracture, mild hamstring tear all on left side) and I have been working hard on regular strength training of my hamstring and glute muscles which I have been told is my problem and although they aren't curative they seem to help quite a bit. I am going to try a more neutral shoe since I wear orthotics. I currently have Saucony omni grid 9's and I'm moving to Progrid Ride 4. What is the best schedule for transitioning? I run about 30k per week consisting of 3 shorter runs and one longer. I'm 54 and pretty lightweight. I'm 6 weeks away from my first 10k race of the season. What has been your experience? MTA fix iPad 'corrections'

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I've moved from motion-control to stability to neutral-with-structured-insoles.  For some reason, I ended up with three pairs of shoes in the rotation (caught a deal, tried them to make sure they worked, then never put a pair back in the box).  Anyway, I guess I went "two days in the old style, one in the new" for a few weeks, then retired a pair and added a new one in the new less restricting style, then started the cycle again.  I used the older kind of shoe for my longer runs, though, figuring I might need them as my legs got more tired.  Maybe that was more paranoia than logic, though.

Hope that helps.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Hey Ruth, did they put you in orthotics and stability shoes?  It seems excessive.  Maybe the shoe store fit you for motion-controlled and separately, the podiatrist put you in orthotics? 

My experience with shoe transitions is to do it gradually.  I would buy a neutral shoe and use it each week for one of the three shorter runs.  If things work out, then maybe for two.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hey Ruth, did they put you in orthotics and stability shoes?  It seems excessive.  Maybe the shoe store fit you for motion-controlled and separately, the podiatrist put you in orthotics? 

My experience with shoe transitions is to do it gradually.  I would buy a neutral shoe and use it each week for one of the three shorter runs.  If things work out, then maybe for two.  

The podiatrist put me in stability shoes when I first got the orthotics 4 years ago (new pair last year). He says that he only corrects so far and I still need stability shoes and warned me that running stores will put me in neutral and to ignore their advice. But the stability shoes are starting to feel weird now that I am strengthening my left side to correct the imbalance. And I am still getting injured, so I am going to try this too. I tell you though, my first run outside with nice cushy light shoes sure felt good!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.