Sweaty Runners: What is the best shirt?? (Read 1117 times)

Insert witty title here

Wow, I guess I'm not alone. I break a sweat just driving to the place I normally run. I use Dri-more shirts and I think some kind of polyester blend shorts (I know they're not cotton), but my shirt is definitely soaked after just a 3 mile run. One thing I've started doing is wearing wrist bands which I've found are perfect for reaching up and wiping off my face. I hate wearing hats, but as my distance increases I may have to give that a try.

ThomasRuns Blog
    Twitter

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - [Walter Bagehot]

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Wow, I guess I'm not alone. I break a sweat just driving to the place I normally run. I use Dri-more shirts and I think some kind of polyester blend shorts (I know they're not cotton), but my shirt is definitely soaked after just a 3 mile run. One thing I've started doing is wearing wrist bands which I've found are perfect for reaching up and wiping off my face. I hate wearing hats, but as my distance increases I may have to give that a try.
      I have to wear two sweatbands on my face, a hat and still carry a hand towel.... Sad

TRUST THE PROCESS

Menace to Sobriety

I have to wear two sweatbands on my face, a hat and still carry a hand towel.... Sad
        Two shirts, two towels on the treadmill.....outdoors, I just let it fly. BTW, sweating like we do is an asset in basketball. No one ever wants to guard me, and if they do, I just slide right off.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

OOPS....I don't wear sweatbands on my face!!!!!!!! Blush I meant to say on my right wrist (Garmin gets left wrist). Big grin

TRUST THE PROCESS

After a lot of trial and error I figured out that most of my sweat started on my head and worked it's way down my body (yay gravity) from there. Sometimes I'll take a couple visors with me. They let the heat escape but still trap a lot of sweat. I also stopped wearing shirts with short sleeves to let the heat escape better from my armpits. Sometimes I'll wear a compression top under a technical shirt. I've seen people wear headbands around their necks, I don't know if that's a sweat thing, a fashion thing, or just a confused thing. Oddly enough my feet stay bone dry when I run. Knock on wood. Nothing is going to stop the sweating but their are ways to either reduce it or minimize the particular problem it creates. To all my fellow sweaters (that didn't come out quite right), if you see pedestrians walking three abreast on the trail, can you please give them the sweaty brush-by as you run past? I'm convinced this is an awesome way to teach them proper trail etiquette.
            2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Ostrich runner

I don't mind cotton so long as it's really old, threadbare, and fairly snug. I find that my technical tees get just as wet, and i usually prefer to run shirtless in the warm months anyway. I will forever avoid gray shorts though--I have this pair of Asics shorts right now that make me look like I've pissed myself as they turn shades with sweat.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Maybe RunAbe has it right, maybe the best shirt on a hot day is no shirt at all.
                I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                  Maybe RunAbe has it right, maybe the best shirt on a hot day is no shirt at all.
                  Yeah, but my problem is the human hair sweater I carry around. If I go shirtless, the police get inundated with calls about Big Foot/Sasquatch sightings.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, but my problem is the human hair sweater I carry around. If I go shirtless, the police get inundated with calls about Big Foot/Sasquatch sightings.
                    Huh...perhaps my DH really does have a long-lost twin... Wink Our kid is doomed. I sweat like a horse and his dad is hairy like a Yeti. Yeah...the ladies are gonna LOVE that! Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

Clippers, they are your friend.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Clippers, they are your friend.
                        Yeah, so is waxing... or so I've heard MTA - Damn, I give up... tried to insert a picture again with no luck! Angry

Dave

Yeah, so is waxing... or so I've heard
                          Fixed that for you.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Fixed that for you.
                            Thanks very much! I appreciate the help. 2 questions for you... 1. How'd you make the link work? I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong. 2. What branch of the military are you in? (Retired Navy - 21 years - myself.)

I have the best luck running in shirts made of light weight merino wool. Expensive... a little, but they last forever, never get smelly, absorb heaps of sweat and wick it away, yet never "feel" wet on skin. I've also never had a chafing issue with wool shirts as I have had with some synthetics. The lightest weight t-shirt I have is great for hot summer days even though it works well as a winter layer. Nothing really stops the sweat till you are dripping issue really but I definitely find it way less uncomfortable when I'm wearing a wool shirt.
                              The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                              • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                              • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                              • Complete a 10K fun run