Advice needed on 30+ km LR (Read 472 times)

Hallo, I would need your advice on the a.m. subject: In my case, running is fun. Running anything between 10 and 26-28 km is fun. Running 30+ km is definitely NOT fun. The problem is that as preparation for my first marathon in June, I'm supposed to run 30+ km every second week and so far (2 x 33 km, 2 x 31 km) I've finished pretty much dead. Today, after 31 of the expected 33 km, I just ran out of fuel, no special pain, the motor just stopped, and there was no way to get the engine back in action again. Right now I don't see how I can keep dying for 10 more km in order to finish the 42km. I'm really wondering: - Is 30+km ever going to be "fun", or should I resign to suffer every second weekend until the marathon is over? - I just carry 1 l of gatorade+water (drink belt). Should I consider doing shorter loops, in order to get home and reload again? - May be you'll say my training pace is too fast, but I have the feeling that if I slow down, after 3 hours or so, my legs will just get fed up and stop anyway As I just said, your advice is more than welcome, it would be really great to find a way to enjoy even the "very long" (at least for me) training runs Thanks in advance Rafa

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR

My experience has been that the more you train for something (say, 30 km runs) the easier they will seem. Maybe not the first few times, and it may take a couple years. Part depends on what the rest of your training looks like. Do you have enough other runs to support that length long run in a 2-wk period? Are you adequately recovered from the last long run and your regular runs for the next long run or do you need to adjust spacing, duration, or intensity? I always do my long runs some place pretty and try to rotate locations. Consider that maybe you are going too fast and slow down. Don't worry about pace initially. Just get your time on legs in. If you're running continuously for 3 hr, maybe consider a 1 min walk break each hour (or whatever). That's one way of getting more running time on legs. For instance, if you can run 2.5 hr comfortably, but struggle for 3 hrs, put a few short walk breaks in there and stay out longer. You end up running more time that way. Kinda like intervals where you increase the amt of quality time in a workout by including recovery jogs. Depending upon how long it takes you to do your runs, consider some fuel besides sports drink. Be sure you're adequately hydrated. Some people (like myself) use about 10 oz/hr in cool weather for a long run; others may use 30+ oz/hr in hot weather while racing. You can deal with hydration however you find convenient. I just load my camelbak bladder and go for several hours (we don't have aid stations in races so it's specific for my races). If you only have a waist belt and need to stop home or by car to grab another bottle, then arrange your run that way. Whatever works. If you're out there a few hours, you might need something besides sports drink while you're starting. Popular solutions include gels, clif shot bloks, energy bars, gummi bears, assorted real foods.
      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

If you "just ran out of fuel" then bring more fuel. Like AK said I would bring some real food/more calories. I personally like Nutrigrain bars (basically fig newtons). Also, make sure you are doing stuff right the day/week before. Particularly make sure that you eat a substantial amount of of carbs (not too much) and of course hydration.
          I like wheat thins (nice and salty) for long training runs (I switch to Gu for races). I would say "slow down", but you've already thought about that, so instead of that I'll say....examine your pace during the run. If you are doing a 30K run, your answer to "does this feel like an easy pace?" should always be "yes" for all points until you get to 25K. Then it's natural to feel somewhat tired after that, and very tired in the 30th K. Rafa to self at 10K: "Does this feel ridiculously easy?" Self: Yes Rafa: OK, good. Rafa to self at 20K: "Does this feel easy?" Self: No, but I want to go faster. Rafa: Slow down now! Self: Wah, I want to go faster Rafa: No, not yet. Angry Self: grrrr, all right The main point of the long runs is to train your quads to function over a long period of time. How can you do that if you rush your long runs? If you want to go fast, save the last 5K for speed. Sorry this was a long post. My marathon is one week from today and I am a bundle of nerves.

SMART Approach

Urano AK Trail advice was dead on. I am assuming you gradually built to 30K runs right??? I would seriously take a look at your pace because if you are running too fast, it will accumulate and you will get deader and deader each long run because you really don't recover fully going into the next one. Try a bit more fuel. Also, 200-400mg of NO DOZ (caffeine) or herbal version could have a positive effect but try this first with a shorter run first.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Hi, @ AKTrail, I believe I'm doing enough other runs, you can check my log. Since around 1 month ago, I managed to get a fifth training day per week. If no business-trip-to-a-remote-location gets in the way, I'm doing around 80 km per week. On the other hand, I never feel any special soreness, or feel too tired the day after any of the runs. I assume the main issue is pace, somehow I have to learn to train slower. Regarding walking breaks, I'm afraid my ego wouldn't accept that (I admit it may be stupid, but that's the way it is). So, in two weeks time, I believe I have to run 35 km. I'll try lower pace, more food ... and will keep you posted Wink @Econo, great comments, I'll try to get my "Self" to listen harder to my "Rafa", so far the first one is winning Big grin @Tchuck I try to avoid caffeine, I'm trying dry figs & bananas. Next time I think I'll try MORE dry figs and bananas Thanks for your advice

Targets 1) No injuries 2) Keep having fun 3) Some kind of PR