Nike Free Run, etc etc (Read 1222 times)

sincerely silly

I know that everyone's different and you just have to try them...but that doesn't mean I can't obsessively think about it also! So I wanted to try a lighter shoe since my friends recommend them and there are some Nike Free Run 2+ on sale and I might take the plunge. Though originally I wanted to try a pair of Reebok Realflex...and there's mention of NB Minimus and every other brand's version of the "minimalist" running shoe. :-) Anyone have strong opinions?

I'll be honest...I almost don't want the Free Runs because I see them everywhere! But a sale's a sale. :-) And it'll be my first shoe of this type.

shin splints are my nemesis

I would get the Nike Free 3.0 v. 4 (not the Free Run).  Still plenty of cushioning but lower profile than Free Run.  More expensive, though.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

sincerely silly

I would get the Nike Free 3.0 v. 4 (not the Free Run).  Still plenty of cushioning but lower profile than Free Run.  More expensive, though.

Hmm, well the Nike Free 3.0 v3 is the same price as the Free Run 2+ (and I don't forsee wanting to use the +) at runningwarehouse, where they're on sale. :-) I thought that maybe the Free Run would be a better introduction to the light shoes, to see if it works for me or not.

I wanted to try a lighter shoe since my friends recommend them

Was there something bothering you with your existing style of shoe?

I like Nike Frees. I'm wearing some now for my desk job.  But I also believe one of the mistakes I made that lead to injuries was changing running shoes when I had no reason to.  I got one pair on sale that gave me hot spot blisters.  I ended up with Haglund's deformity.  Not sure I can blame the shoe... but maybe.  I developed PF which has bothered me for 2+ years.  I think doing hill workouts in Nike Frees was a dumb idea (for me anyway). 

So... to me... trying a shoe because your friend recommended them or because of a sale is at least a yellow flag. 

I'm guilty.  I changed shoes and chased sales. 

Now I'm back to Brooks which I think work better for me. 

Why is it sideways?

Before you buy the Nike Frees, it is crucial that you read this thread, particularly the posts by NIKE FREE ME (he starts on page 3.)

sincerely silly

Was there something bothering you with your existing style of shoe?

I like Nike Frees. I'm wearing some now for my desk job.  But I also believe one of the mistakes I made that lead to injuries was changing running shoes when I had no reason to.  I got one pair on sale that gave me hot spot blisters.  I ended up with Haglund's deformity.  Not sure I can blame the shoe... but maybe.  I developed PF which has bothered me for 2+ years.  I think doing hill workouts in Nike Frees was a dumb idea (for me anyway). 

So... to me... trying a shoe because your friend recommended them or because of a sale is at least a yellow flag. 

I'm guilty.  I changed shoes and chased sales. 

Now I'm back to Brooks which I think work better for me. 

I appreciate the honesty. =P

Well, my feet hurt in normal shoes. I guess it's hard to describe...it's mostly the outer part of the foot, but sometimes it just feels like the entire foot is in a mild cramp state. This happens more in gym classes like Step or Kickboxing so I guess I was also looking to wear these sneakers in group classes too if I had a good experience in them running. :-) The pain usually goes away before it gets bad when I run. I've been doing martial arts for years and I never felt like I had a problem with running and movements involving fast footwork and I was thinking maybe that had to do with the fact that I was always barefoot.

I asked one of the gym trainers once about it and she told me to get new shoes. I did and it didn't work. And I tried all sorts of arch support since it kind of felt like my foot was collapsing on myself. But that didn't work either. So I'm open to change!

But you're right. I'm guilty about changing shoes and getting them for the sake of getting new ones on sale. :-) It's definitely part of the motivation for it anyway.

*edit - oh I should add that I think I gave the other new pair of shoes a decent shot since I know new shoes can cause their fair share of problems. mostly out of laziness. I just had to take breaks in the middle of the classes until the pain calmed down. Honestly, I didn't know that anything could hurt so much doing step aerobics!

The Terminator

Free 5.0's are my main shoes.  I also rotate in a pair of Merrell Pace Gloves and a giant pair of neutral Saucony trail runners.  Seriously, the Sauconys must weigh 5 lbs each.  I am guilty of sale hopping, as well.  However, I am low-mileage and not injury-prone, so I have not had any problems choosing shoes on a whim.

I like Frees so much, I talked a friend into getting some, but she says they gave her Achilles problems and she had to stop wearing them.

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy

#artbydmcbride

I have been dreaming of buying some Newtons just because they are so damn bright and colorful!  Blush  

The only thing stopping me is the huge price and that they would probably break my feet.  Big grin

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just did my first run (4 miles) in a brand new pair of Free Run+ 3s.  I LOVE them.  I wasn't fighting the shoe, I could feel the ground beneath my feet, the shoes felt like part of my feet...almost like moccasins.  I wish I'd been wearing these 2 years ago, instead of the clunky Mizunos that landed me with a bad sprain.  These things seem to collapse around lumps and pebbles and things, instead of tilting off.  That root likely wouldn't have been my downfall.  I may have had a bruised foot, but a preserved ankle.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay