Just Started Running after 5 years, and back surgery 4 months ago! (Read 1444 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mother Nature can be a real biotch at times, can't she?! That stinks, FMR. But there will be many other days for you to beat your time. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

If you can, try to convince yourself that running in the rain is fun or desirable in some way. Maybe that it takes a REALLY dedicated runner to be out there in the rain? Maybe you liked splashing in puddles when you were a kid? Maybe you enjoy thumbing your nose at the world who says you "shouldn't" be out there running when it's raining? I don't know about you, but I find I get wet on the outside anyway when I run (I sweat) and so I convinced myself that this is much the same except not as hot and uncomfortable. Then last week I decided that rain was just a cloud's way of patting me on the back for getting out there and doing something I know is good for me. It's all in the head. ::taps head:: Certainly not everybody likes it. Check out the "running in the rain" thread under General Running. Smile BTW, you're still doing awesome!

Roads were made for journeys...

Trust me, as bad as I wanted to do the 10 miles it was comming down so hard that I could not see. I tried .3 miles and I knew that if I kept going my chances of getting an injury were going to be good, I dont mind some rain but when you cant see thats the danger zone for me. Monday looks like a clear day, so I will try again in the morning. ( If I can move Smile Smile)
        What we do in life, echo's in eternity. Maximus.
          As you can see by my log this week I have run out of steam!!! The week started off good, but my legs were dead. I took Wed off to rest some, but when I ran today my legs were stiff and heavy. So I just put in a 2.2 run and walked another 3 miles. I guess the huge increase in miles caught up with my legs! ( Im just not as young as I used to be!) Wink
          Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

As you can see by my log this week I have run out of steam!!! The week started off good, but my legs were dead. I took Wed off to rest some, but when I ran today my legs were stiff and heavy. So I just put in a 2.2 run and walked another 3 miles. I guess the huge increase in miles caught up with my legs! ( Im just not as young as I used to be!) Wink
            FMR, We all need a down week once in awhile. You more than tripled your miles last week, and should probably take a breather to let your body recouperate.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

FMR, are you getting enough sleep and/or hydration? I just had a really crappy run, but my mom and nephew are visiting, so I haven't been eating well, getting enough non-bloody mary hydration (:snortSmile, or enough sleep. But at least I can see the effects of lifestyle on my running output. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

FMR, are you getting enough sleep and/or hydration? I just had a really crappy run, but my mom and nephew are visiting, so I haven't been eating well, getting enough non-bloody mary hydration (:snortSmile, or enough sleep. But at least I can see the effects of lifestyle on my running output.
                I thought it's your idea to bring along some adult beverages on you runs. What happened?
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, I'm not using my Camelbak for all runs, just the longer ones. I may start bringing it on more runs, though--particularly if I feel like I need more fluids (or if it's on the hot/humid side)...like today. k

~ Sarah Kay

I took 3 days off and I CAN FEEL MY LEGS AGAIN!!!!!! Big grin I did 5.5 miles and could have run another 2 or so but I did not want to burn out my legs again. Also I weighed in today at 229lbs!!!!
                    vicentefrijole

WOW! That's an amazing amount of progress! Running 5.5 miles and still feeling strong is a great sign! (Knowing when to NOT over-do it is important too!) Keep up the good work!
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

Ain't rest grand? Smile You're doing great, Bernie!

Roads were made for journeys...

Dear Fat Man Running, Been watching your posts. I don't want to take the wind out of your sails, but my only comment is that you are beating yourself up! You are definitely doing too much, too soon without adequate rest. I notice that your posts and your log have gone silent so I hope everything is okay. Push, push, push in the early days and you will beat your legs into the ground, lose momentum, and the motivation to continue will dwindle. To start, a solid running program depends on slow, aerobic conditioning, especially until you get the weight down. Only use the stopwatch to see your improvement over time, i.e. the increased distance you cover in the same amount of time with the same effort. Don't use it to PUSH yourself at this point. You shouldn't even be toying with 6 mile runs right now except only very occasionally and very slowly. Every week must have a rest day or two to allow the muscles and other tissues to recover and heal. To do otherwise is to invite injury. It is great that you are (were) enthusiastic about the sport but be careful. Do some reading on training schedules. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Thanks for the advice. I just updated my runs and as you can see I have backed off some and added more rest. I agree with the to much to soon, my legs were feeling dead. But I am going to try and stick with about 15-20 miles a week for a month or so and start to increase when the weather starts to cool off some.
                              Hey, glad to see you're still at it. Got to ease into this stuff easily or else. I've been down injury lane and it is not fun when you're all enthused about running. Did my arches in years ago (increased my mileage too quickly) and it stopped me in my tracks (pun intended) for almost 2 months. Every time I would think things were fine I would go out and give it a wherl only to re-injure one or both of them. Anyway, just take it easy. Eat a good healthy diet and reduce the calories gradually. Drink a lot. It makes you feel fuller and you need the water anyway. Let the weight melt off slowly and consistently. That alone will increase your ability to run farther and faster. Do a little dumb bell work with your arms, it will help you run. But like you are finding out, you need to build in the rest. Fast walk on your rest days. If you go the same distance you will burn the same number of calories believe it or not; and your legs will enjoy the rest while you're doing it. John Best to you. Keep me posted on your progress. Been doing this stuff for a very long time and I really enjoy conversing with others just starting out in the game. John

One more thing. I just checked your log. I would still be very careful of the long runs at this point. I see an 8 miler in there which means you were on your feet for a very long time. Undecided