Allowance (Read 790 times)

we didn't get an allowance, growing up. we got jobs. paper routes, dog-walking, babysitting, snow-shoveling, selling paintings or handmade soaps, whatever. if there was something we wanted that was outside of what our parents were going to provide, we'd have to earn some money, save it and then buy it ourselves. if our mom-- always the astute shopper-- agreed with us that a particular sale item wasn't likely to last on the shelf, she'd give us an interest-free loan, but she would definitely hold us to the repayment (which apparently she put towards our christmas gift fund-- we had no idea). not sure, yet, how i'll do it when i have kids. chores around the house-- i kind of think you're just supposed to do them b/c you're part of a family and you live there, and you SHOULD be helping out anyway. i think i'd rather have my kids get more creative when it comes to earning actual cash from me.
      The system that my mom found worked with me was this: I had an allowance that was given to me for no particular reason. I suppose really it was for many of the reasons mentioned here (so I could buy my own stuff rather than asking for it, to learn money management skills, etc.). Here was the catch, though: At the beginning of each month the amount I'd receive at the end of the month was written down on a piece of paper on top of the fridge. If I didn't do the chores I was assigned, or if I misbehaved in some way certain amounts (preset for the chores, up to mom for behavior) would be deducted from next month's allowance. Some months I did pretty poorly Smile and I think my younger sister consistently got more than I did, but after a little time it worked pretty well. I was sort of getting paid for doing chores, but I think the distinction that I was being punished for not doing them was important.

sean