Suggestions (Read 759 times)

I just joined the gym today and had my first workout in a long long time. Any suggestions on certain exercises i should do, or should avoid to make me a better runner?
    2009 Goals (nobody laugh) Run 800 miles or more Run 12 or more 5ks Run 2 10ks Get 5k times in 25's Run a 3 miler in 24:29 or less Run in HM in October
    Slo

I just joined the gym today and had my first workout in a long long time. Any suggestions on certain exercises i should do, or should avoid to make me a better runner?
      Exercises to become a better runner.......Run Based on your goals.....since your not listing any Marathon specific's doing lower body workouts like the squats and deadlift should help with your 5k and 10k times. You don't have to worry about "bulking up" if you keep running your higher priority. Be careful that weightlifting.....assuming that is what your talking about.....doesn't interfer with your run training. Don't blow your legs out today if your scheduled for a long run tomorrow. Check into doing super sets or weight lifting that is targeted at weight loss. These are generally lighter weights, higher reps and keeps you moving from set to set. Gets the heart rate up. I strength train 2 - 3 times/week. I do full body workouts....starting with core, then legs, then upper and ending again with core. My goal is only to keep what I got. And at 43 that's getting tougher to do. Finally.......There are several experts that recommend a strong core for all runners. These can be done without a gym membership and I usually avoid doing these at the gym 'cause you only see the girlies doing them. Big grin

Tiefsa

Try circuit training. It gets your heart rate up, and it makes you stronger for other things besides running. Runners world suggests 12 different lifts, 10 for upper, 2 for lower. 1 - Bench Press, 2 - Dumbell Flys, 3 - Lateral pull-downs, 4 - One-arm dumbell rows, 5 - Leg extensions, 6 - Leg Curls, 7 - Dumbbell Presses, 8 - Lateral raises, 9 - Shrugs, 10 - Upright Rows, 11 - Triceps push-downs, 12 - Dumbbell Curls. Only give yourself 30 seconds or less between exercises, so it is an aerobic workout in addition to building strength. I ride the exercise bike before and after the workout for 10 minutes. Good luck