race packet pickup in person - why (Read 273 times)

Julia1971

I also assume is it to force people to go by the vendors. Another reason to hate the big for-profit races....

Unless you love expos.  Which is a reason to run big for-profit races.  (Or, live in a city that has them so you can just go to the expo).

Julia1971

I've only experienced this at big races like Chicago and Berlin.  Supposedly RnR races makes it a hassle to pick up someone else's big, too.  I've always thought that it was to prevent or lessen the likelihood of "illegal" transfers taking place.  It's less likely that people will sell their bibs if you have to give someone else your ID.  It doesn't prevent it entirely, obviously.

One year they charged you to have someone else pick up your bib.  In that example, yes, I can see how that's trying to get people to the expo.  It's just not that hard these days to photocopy your id and give it to someone.  I could probably send you mine in about 5 minutes.  (I'm not gonna, but I could).

ultramarathon/triathlete

NYCM is that way.  Need ID.  Most big races are (Ironman races too).

I usually like the expos, but I can see how it's a PITA for some people (your case, for example).  Since you have to go to it, make it a game to see if you can get enough freebies and samples to make the whole thing worth your while.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

Nasreddin Hoja

I work packet pickup every year for a couple of races.  We don't have an expo, though it is in the basement of an LRS.

We require the ID, but the person on the ID, doesn't have to be the one picking it up.  People come in with printouts or they hand me their phone with the IDs on it.  Lots of people, pick up 4 or 5 packets.  It's actually faster with IDs, we don't have to go back and forth on the spelling of the name etc.  If one of us is overly busy, they can hand the IDs to another one of the volunteers to keep the line moving quickly.

Fact is, someone steals a packet, you can reissue a new number to the "victim" and invalidate the stolen number.

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Damn the terrorists.

Damn the security theater enabled by the gullibility of the people.

keeponrunning

I've actually not done races due to inflexibility in race packet pick-up.  I'm willing to drive 1.5 hours to get to a half, but there's no way I'm doing that two days in a row to get a bib, nor spending $100+ for a hotel room just to pick up a packet.

The largest race I had someone else pick up my stuff was about 5000 runners, so not huge huge.  I gave her a copy of my ID and a letter and there was no problem.  At a smaller race, I just emailed the RD and told him so-and-so would be picking up my bib for me and there was no issue.   However, at a huge race, I could see both those solutions not being plausible just due to the enormous number of people coming through.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Damn the security theater enabled by the gullibility of the people.

+1

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

I needed an ID to register for a small 5K yesterday.

Oh, wait. That's because there was a lot of required beer drinking going on. Sorry. Wrong thread...