Wore down cartilage (Read 197 times)

gemara

Hi everyone!!

Does anybody had a wore down cartilage? Any suggestions, recomendations? Does anybody know any cure or is there any cure?

I'm quite worried about it, and will apreciate any comment and advice you can give me.

Thanks in advance!

Feeling the growl again

How do you know you have worn down cartilage?  Do you know what caused it?

There is no cure, per se, as cartilage cannot be replaced once it is gone.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

You'll ruin your knees!

Whoever told you it was "wore down" should be able to tell you how to get it fixed as good as new.  I have had lots of adjectives hurled at me by Orthopedic Surgeons regarding my knee condition, but "wore down" isn't one of them.

...and what Spaniel said.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Walk-Jogger

I've got worn down cartilage under my left patella. It can't be fixed, good as new or otherwise. My left knee has had a clicking and grinding in it for the past 15 years or so and it's gotten slowly worse over time. I don't run up stairs anymore, but it hasn't previously bothered me in any other way. So far it hasn't prevented me from running. BUT I had an MRI on my left knee and fibula and peroneal nerve for other reasons after my marathon in July,  and my orthopedic surgeon told me based on that MRI that I need to cut my running way back and start biking a lot more, to preserve what little cartilage is left. . He says every run I do now comes at a price, and eventually the cartilage under the kneecap will wear through and  the patella will be bone-on-bone with whatever is underneath it.  And then running will not be possible.  

So yea, I've got wore down cartilage. Its caused by injuries, genetics and old age. In my case it runs the family, on my mother's side. 

Retired &  Loving It

Loves the outdoors

Hi everyone!!

Does anybody had a wore down cartilage? Any suggestions, recomendations? Does anybody know any cure or is there any cure?

I'm quite worried about it, and will apreciate any comment and advice you can give me.

Thanks in advance!

I've been told the same thing, but I have found that it is actually only knocks to the knee that are painful. I don't have any issues running, so I'm ignoring it happily.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

I'm only 40, and I might be closer to Cecil58's description but at a bit younger age.  Grinding / clicking right knee the last 10 years when going up the stairs in the house,  and a history of knee replacements in the family.  . (Since I am stubborn, I am still doing 'stair sprints' on occasion since there is no pain).      But about the 'worn out' cartilage, that is pretty vague and it would indeed take an MRI and close analysis to truly define what the current state of your knees is.

---Slight subject change:  In the past couple weeks, I have met 2 different folks who still run the local races.  One has a hip replacement and one had a knee replacement.  (I overheard the knee replacement guy talking about running on Hoka shoes + able to run well).  

If the worst case scenario ever hits any of us in our later years, is it common to be able to run races on knee replacements?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

valerienv

Thread killer ..

MRI doesn't show everything . Last year I hurt my knee . I had x-rays the Doctor said it didn't look bad , good joint space only one spur . This knee has had 3 surgeries in the past . Went to another Doctor , he looked at the -rays said it didn't look bad sent me for an MRI . The MRI showed a tear in my meniscus . Went for surgery the whole story changed , I had almost no cartilage left on the medial side and had a piece of bone floating in the joint as well as the tear . I was told no more running and expect a partial replacement in 6 months to 3 years based on how bad it looked . I was also told by more than one health care professional that the replacement parts are not designed to hold up to running and running with one at my age would mean having to get another one down the road .

I did listen to what they told me , I have continued to run and will as long as I can , then I'll walk . Maybe they will come up with a better alternative for people with worn out joints in the mean time .

I did also switch to Hokas

SMART Approach

If it is in the knee, a viscosupplement with weekly injections can help preserve the cartilage, reduce pain and help body produce more of its own lubricant in knee known as hyaluronen. Do the weekly series of injection (3, 4 or 5) vs the single injection products like Synvisc One. Look for Supartz or Hyalgan - they work best And most pure on the market.  No side effects at all. i have 2 running friends who gets a series of Supartz every 2 years and it works great allowing them to run until it starts to wear off over time. One friend is age 43 and other is 61. My wife will be getting Supartz soon also for her knee arthritis. Something to think about.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

dccsr

If it is in the knee, a viscosupplement with weekly injections can help preserve the cartilage, reduce pain and help body produce more of its own lubricant in knee known as hyaluronen. Do the weekly series of injection (3, 4 or 5) vs the single injection products like Synvisc One. Look for Supartz or Hyalgan - they work best And most pure on the market.  No side effects at all. i have 2 running friends who gets a series of Supartz every 2 years and it works great allowing them to run until it starts to wear off over time. One friend is age 43 and other is 61. My wife will be getting Supartz soon also for her knee arthritis. Something to think about.

Hi...I am 53 yrs old male and have enjoyed runiing off and on for several years. The last 1 1/2  years I have been enjoying even more because my wife and I run in local 5 and 10k's. I finished my 1st half marathon on 5/18/14 in Fredericksburg, Va! (very exciting) During the last few miles after the 1/2 I could feel something in my right knee and was very sore afterwards.

A few months went by and I was running faster and stronger than I have in years. About 1 month ago I was running and it felt like a knife went through my knee. I took about a week off and was very disappointed because I felt confident enough that I had a chance to win the the next 5K (in my age group) anyways...  I made a Doctor appointment and they gave me a xray and it showed no damage. I tried to run a few days after and it hurt too much! The Doctor schduled me for a MRI and the results showed signficant cartilage loss. The doctor injected me with a cortisone shot and a few days later felt great. On 9/28/14 I showed up to the 5K I was looking forward to for several months I finished 4th with a time of 24:58! The last half mile I could barely finish the run. My knee was hurting me really bad.

I am scheduled for Supartz injections starting next week for 3 consecutive weeks. I am no elite runner , but I enjoy it so much and it takes so much off my mind and it has done wonders for my marriage! I hope and pray the injections will give me more months or years of running , but I don't want to get my hopes up...

This has been a difficult year for me ...I had an accident in January and suffered several broken ribs and punctured lung and lacerated liver...also a broken arm. I went through several months of PT and was feeling so good to finish my 1st half this past May....16 weeks after my accident!

I guess I can't feel bad the last couple years have been great and know there are alot of people out there a lot worst off than me!