Marathoning and Effect on Shoes (Read 559 times)

Just wondering the effect running a marathon would have on your shoes? Would it make it break down quicker? I run in Mizuno Inspire 4's. I trained from Jan-March in 3's, and they feel as though they have more cushion left in them at 500 miles than the 4's do at 400 miles. Just wondering if it was just me, or if there was some type of conclusive evidence. Purchased another pair of 4's today, because my right knee is starting to hurt and shins are hurting, too. But, just asking. Your experience?

The marathon itself probably made no difference. I regularly run 20-25 miles at a time in a pair of shoes and it doesn't seem to affect the total number of miles that I get out of those shoes. Your shoes probably broke down quicker because of the training conditions that you ran in, your running style being different, or (most likely) because they changed the shoes between the 3s and the 4s and they just don't last as long. Do you rotate your shoes? That can sometimes help.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I rotated at the beginning, but just as of late it seems like the shoes are just less comfortable. Less cushion. I'm an overpronator, so the outsides of the shoes were already wearing down after the marathon (100 miles or so in) whereas the 3's didn't show that much wear until probably 250