iPod and cold weather? (Read 729 times)

My iPod mini is a wimp ... she does not like cold weather (roughly defined, by her, as anything under 33*). The battery only lasts for about 20-25 minutes in the cold, then dies. I tried, um, sticking it between my boobs to keep it warm ... and that worked for a little bit ... and then it died. Again. Sad I checked out some websites and apparently it's a pretty common problem .. any suggestions on how to prolong the battery? Or just run w/out music for the rest of the winter? Surprised Thanks! Trish Smile
    2009: BQ?
      All (chemical) batteries have this problem, since they work based on a chemical reaction which slows down in the cold. Sorry. Just try and keep it in a warm place B]
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My Nano has been fine, even running when the actual air temp is only around 10º. But mine is inside a rubberized case and generally under my fleece top. Do you keep yours covered at all? k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kirstin, from what I've heard, the Nano and shuffle do better in cold weather b/c they don't have any moving parts ... I think. I do try keeping it covered, but it still dies Sad
          2009: BQ?
          JakeKnight

I tried, um, sticking it between my boobs to keep it warm ... and that worked for a little bit ... and then it died. Again. Sad
            Insert your own joke there. Scout, settle down. ---------------- I had the same problem with the mini. After owning it a few years, the battery was good for maybe an hour on a warm day, and truly about 20 minutes in the cold. Clipping it to the inside of my shorts did actually double thatm but 2 x 20 ain't much. (Scout, I said settle down.) I looked into options regarding the battery, but they all turn out to be as expensive as just buying a new iPod. Get the Nano - it's worth it. I think the 2 gig (which is already way more room than I need - 500 songs maybe?) retails for like $150, you can find it for $130 or less. The shuffle goes for half that. The battery on the nano seems to last roughly forever. I wore it in a half marathon in Tennessee's version of a blizzard, then drove home, then left on my desk all day without plugging it in .... and had better than half the power left.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirstin, from what I've heard, the Nano and shuffle do better in cold weather b/c they don't have any moving parts ... I think. I do try keeping it covered, but it still dies Sad
              Ahhh...that's right. I had forgotten that the old ones are little hard drives, essentially. I agree with Jake, the Nano is worth it. Plus, since there are no moving parts, if you were to drop it it should be MUCH more rugged. That's the reason I use CF cards in my camera and not microdrives, which are a TON more memory for the price--they are just too fragile and I'm a klutz. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

still alive

Yes, it's the hard drive, not the battery. I run with my nano even at -25°F and it's fine.

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Trishie, I'd also recommend the Shuffle. I have a regular iPod, but I found it too bulky to run with, was worried about it skipping and concerned about HD performance in the cold so I bought a Shuffle exclusively for working out. It's completely without exciting features (including a display), but it's got this going for it: 1) $79 2) 1 GB flash memory (no moving parts). That's about 250 songs. 3) tiny 4) has a built in clip so you can easily attach it to your clothing. 5) Several exciting colors (ok that's a gimmick, but choice is good) 6) ~12h battery life, or so Apple says -- haven't tested this. Ultimately though, here's what you have to decide: 1) If your mini is doing the job for you and you don't feel the need to upgrade/replace it, buy a Shuffle. 2) If the mini is not doing it for you from a memory/performance/battery standpoint and you've been thinking about upgrading, buy a Nano. They range from $149~$249 (for 2,4,8GB), are flash-based, and extremely light/small. Good Luck! Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.