First Ever Fell Race report (Read 657 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

The last 2 weeks leading up to the race have been really nerve racking for me, today the day arrived. I prepared well: peanut butter on toast, 7:30am. porridge with banana 11am, then a banana and Powerade before the race. The race in question is an annual one in Chipping, near Preston, England. According to my garmin 305, it worked out at over 8.5 miles, and 2500ft ascent. The whole concept of fell running to me was new, and I was really nervous, though my brother (who is an avid fell runner talked me into it). We arrived at Chipping about an hour before the race was due to start. It was a kind of an agricultural show being held there, as well as the race. At 2:40pm we were all summoned to the start. We were in the middle of a field which was metal gates off from the public, incidentally there were hundreds of people all leaning over with anticipation waiting for us to start. This did not help with the nerves as I have never been in a race with such a high profile. (All my races to now have been on the road or country with only a few watchers). Anyhow, sorry if I am boring you. I was there, in the pack with my new fell running shoes on, my shorts, vest, and hip bag, with a couple of gels in. When we set off, I just kept it in my head that this was all new to me, and that I would just intend to get around the course, and not worry about time or anyone else. It proved difficult from the start as we hit about 1.5 miles of gradually ascending fields, a little boggy, and which tested my ankle strength. I was then faced with total intimidation as I saw the first climb. It looked as though it went on forever. I just kept my head down and plodded up it, the sheer incline rendered it impossible to run up. It seemed relentless, and went on for ages. In fact it was 0.4 of a mile in distance to the summit, and it ascended by 565ft-sheer hell. On the way up the lactic was so intense, it felt like my calves were going to blow up. I found that when on top with some open space to stretch out the legs, I made tracks pretty well. Next there was some wicked descent which I enjoyed, but all the same it was hard, because it is at these stages I thought I need to turn on the speed a little to make up for the hills. There is a serious danger in running down these rocky, slippy, hills, but I thought what the hell, and went all out, I actually overtook 3 people on my descent, and then it was time for a monster climb again:This one was more gradual but a killer all the same, 1.3 mile with an ascent of 825ft. After this it felt like I was literally on the top of the world. The clouds were below my feet, the wind was biting and the visibility was becoming worse. I still had 2 runners in the distance there to guide me. I managed to keep them in my sights, pushing myself harder and harder over the precarious, perilous terrain. There were many more hills to contend with but I will spare the detail. Towards the end we had just downhill to go, and this tested my legs to the max - constant breaking really tested my quads, and it was quite difficult trying to get down the steep drop as fast as I wanted without running great risks. It was 0.4 mile descent of 650ft. At the end my legs returned to power as we hit the road, and then the fields for the final mile. I did the final mile in just over 7 mins, and ended with a sprint finish into the crowd of spectators. I even got a pat on the back from one of the officials, saying "great finish". The results are not in yet, and so my time is a little hazy as I forgot to stop my garmin, but I know I came in 37th out of a field of about 90, so I was really happy with that. Spoke to my brother and he thinks he was 9th, so well done to him! Now it was time for a well deserved burger.........only joking.....I settled for a bottle of water and a flapjack. Got changed and headed home. I am sat here now typing this very sore, but hell it was worth it. I will definitely be hitting the fells more often, - hope you liked my report. Comments welcome.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Wow that sounds like a neat race. I have always thought I am more of a hill runner then a flat course runner. Sounds like that would be cool to try but I'm not sure I would care for the descent part. I like going up steep hills but not going down them. Congrats on the finish. Once you upload the garmin put the link on here so that we can truly appreciate what you just did.
        2011 Goals:
        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
        That was some course for a first fell run!!!! WTG, congrats, and nice report! Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Into the wild

Nice one Eddy, great read; I felt the burn in my calves as I climbed with you Big grin Well done on the weight loss too matey Wink

Shut up and run

Great race! Sounds really tough -- especially for your first one! ... so, when's the next one? Wink
            2009: BQ?

Slow-smooth-fast

Great race! Sounds really tough -- especially for your first one! ... so, when's the next one? Wink
              Not sure, still got aching legs, but will be very soon. Will keep you posted.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

You'll ruin your knees!

Congrats, Eddy!!!! I would absolutely love to do one of those, true fell race! Gotta love a race format that started up from a group of guys in a bar making a bet as to which one of them could make it to the top of a close-by mountain and back to the bar! Very respectable position in the field, given your novice status! Way to go! Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)