Not the best way to win a race (Read 1322 times)

For some reason I can't stop thinking about NASCAR while reading this thread...

that would work for an indoor marathon.  they have one around here where you run 95 laps. 

when someone falls there will be a yellow flag and everyone has to bunch up and jog until the person who falls gets up and is good to go. 

it sounds kind of cool actually.  you should be required to pull into a pit stop for water and new shoes.  I like it. 

that would work for an indoor marathon.  they have one around here where you run 95 laps. 

when someone falls there will be a yellow flag and everyone has to bunch up and jog until the person who falls gets up and is good to go. 

it sounds kind of cool actually.  you should be required to pull into a pit stop for water and new shoes.  I like it. 

Are you talking about the indoor marathon (and other distances) at the Pettit National Ice Center?  I'd hope runners don't fall often cuz I'd find it pretty annoying to have to slow down and bunch up until cleared to go again.  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

So if you're tired, you can either trip someone, or go down yourself, to get the yellow flag rest period?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Turbolegs

It almost seems to me that the guy who's running by the girl who fell "pushed" her ahead at the finish.  If that's the case, she should be even disqualified.  I'm not sure what the fuss is about.  If someone falls in the race, should everybody else halt till he/she gets up and gather composure?  

While it is a great display of sportsman/womenship to help out even right at the finish line; it should never be a rule or have-to or expected.  There's a reason why a runner collapse.  Some may be faulty situation like being tripped, etc., but in many cases, the reason is, as someone else had mentioned, improper pacing, lack of preparation, dehydration, etc.  Then it would become an issue of what's really FAIR.  Is it fair to help out those who didn't properly prepared to those who had prepared properly and paced themselves properly?  

It should probably be noted if someone helped out other collapsing runner; but it shouldn't even be a topic of discussion that if someone didn't do anything about it.  

Hi Nobby .. Sportsmanship cant be mandatory .. thats why people who display it in situations where they have least incentive to do so are worthy of praise and recognition. Can they then be faulted for "lacking" the competitive killer instinct? I dont know the answer to that ...

Not to beat this to death because its a very subjective topic ... you see tremendous examples of sportsmanship in cricket all the time, but its not something i can discuss here as most of the folks here dont know the game much.

Running down someone at the finish is best exemplified here. Just phenomenal. Which is why I titled the post as "Not the best way...." ..

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

xor

I dunno.  "Sportsmanship" seems to be sport dependent.  It also changes over time (see: all the stuff last year about LeBron going to the Heat).

Let's all go out for a snow cone now that the game is over.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

here.

Dude. 

That is so totally unsportsmanlike on Adere's part, sneaking up on Pirtea like that in the last few hundred yards. She should at least have warned her, giving Pirtea a chance to respond.

Totally unfair.

Turbolegs

Landy vs. Clarke, 1956.

Was tempted to not post this .. but even independently and unconnected to this thread, its quite remarkable.

Turbolegs

Dude. 

That is so totally unsportsmanlike on Adere's part, sneaking up on Pirtea like that in the last few hundred yards. She should at least have warned her, giving Pirtea a chance to respond.

Totally unfair.

Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

xor

No.  Not the dreaded winkie.  Unsportsmanlike.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

It occurred to me that you can't have sportsmanlike conduct if it becomes part of the rules.  It must be supererogatory.  You also cannot have unsportsmanlike conduct if it's similar legislated against: then it just becomes rule-breaking.  They become unidentifiable as sportsmanship.  It's nice that there's always a possibility for people to act well toward each other despite not being required to.  And if there is an ethos established by the elite in the field, and a culture to the sport that the fans and athletes cherish, then they are justified in their scorn of someone who is violating the cultural norms because that is one way culture is preserved (shunning the deviants).

Note that similarly, the fans/athletes who scorn the deviant are only under the obligation to accept the action as legal, but under no obligation to approve of it.

You don't have to shake your opponent's hand in chess, but when you don't you are being a jerk.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Landy vs. Clarke, 1956.

Was tempted to not post this .. but even independently and unconnected to this thread, its quite remarkable.

<possibly flogging dead horse>

Okay, sure, but in the OP video the woman was back up, recovered, and running toward the finish line.  Still not sure what is wrong turning on your kick and with passing her for the win.  

</flogging>

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

It occurred to me that you can't have sportsmanlike conduct if it becomes part of the rules.  It must be supererogatory.  You also cannot have unsportsmanlike conduct if it's similar legislated against: then it just becomes rule-breaking.  They become unidentifiable as sportsmanship.  It's nice that there's always a possibility for people to act well toward each other despite not being required to.  And if there is an ethos established by the elite in the field, and a culture to the sport that the fans and athletes cherish, then they are justified in their scorn of someone who is violating the cultural norms because that is one way culture is preserved (shunning the deviants).

Note that similarly, the fans/athletes who scorn the deviant are only under the obligation to accept the action as legal, but under no obligation to approve of it.

You don't have to shake your opponent's hand in chess, but when you don't you are being a jerk.

... and this stuff about sportsmanship.  Again, in the OP video, what is the sportsmanlike thing to do?  The woman is up, recovered, and running toward the finish line.  So you slow down and just let her win?  Is that sportsmanship?

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

xor

What?

dennrunner

Not sure if any unsportsmanlike conduct occurred. But I'm pretty sure stadjak has the RA record for the use of "supererogatory" in one thread.