Falling on a trail (Read 152 times)

Carbs and Cabernet

Fourteen years of running - my third fall on the trail. Not too bad, but I don't necessarily need to spend Labor Day Saturday at the emergency room...

Just after going down though, before assessing which body parts needed medical attention, with blood gushing out of a big cut on my chin, bone exposed... - what did I do first? I stopped the Garmin...

Feeling the growl again

Fourteen years of running - my third fall on the trail. Not too bad, but I don't necessarily need to spend Labor Day Saturday at the emergency room...

Just after going down though, before assessing which body parts needed medical attention, with blood gushing out of a big cut on my chin, bone exposed... - what did I do first? I stopped the Garmin...

Reflex.

Hope you are OK.  Honestly on the two worst falls I ever took, my reaction was the same.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

dennrunner

Not a bad move. It makes the forensics easier. Smile

Carbs and Cabernet

Reflex.

Hope you are OK.  Honestly on the two worst falls I ever took, my reaction was the same.

Does it make us hard-core? A little bit at least?!

Carbs and Cabernet

Not a bad move. It makes the forensics easier. Smile

Big grin

running metalhead

I hope my wife never reads threads like this one.

O broke a toe in the woods with a group. I stopped a few meters further, got my shoes and sock off and my toe was looking like a gore movie... I went on running with the guys for an hour including a short sprint at the end.

And yes, first thing after stabilizing myself on the ground was stopping my FR60, LOL

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
              - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
              - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
              - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
              - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
              - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Will run for scenery.

Third fall in 14 years ??? !!!  You had it coming ! (j/k)

I fell a month or so ago and managed to mangle both index fingers pretty bad by wedging them between rocks and tree roots.  In retrospect, I think one was broken and hasn't healed properly.  My reaction at the time : "Awesome !  Nothing that will affect my running...."

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

O broke a toe in the woods with a group. I stopped a few meters further, got my shoes and sock off and my toe was looking like a gore movie... I went on running with the guys for an hour including a short sprint at the end.

And yes, first thing after stabilizing myself on the ground was stopping my FR60, LOL

Going for the finishing sprint after an hour on a broken toe. Well that definitely sounds hardcore.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

EdithRevisited

If you ask

I broke my pinky toe (the least important of toes, I admit) by walking into the door, while getting ready for a race.  I taped it up, ran, and managed to win my AG in the nighttime trail race.

Of course, because it was dark, we weren't running as fast as we would in the daylight.

Never gotten seriously hurt by falling during a trail run, but I do trip and fall often...

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
                    • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
                    • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

GOOD JOB --- if you don't go down once or twice per year, you're just not running properly....i know I usually fall twice per year usually steeping up a curb and shuffling instead of stepping...

Definitely stop the Garmin - dont want your time to get screwed up.......the body will heal  Smile

Champions are made when no one is watching

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This thread is useless without pictures

Half Fanatic #846

I fell a month or so ago and managed to mangle both index fingers pretty bad ...  In retrospect, I think one was broken and hasn't healed properly.  My reaction at the time : "Awesome !  Nothing that will affect my running...."

Exactly!  That's a runner's mindset.

One of the reason that I sold my motorcycle was because drivers frequently pulled out in front of me and I figured if I wrecked, I probably wouldn't be able to run...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...I think when I FUBARd my left ankle 3+ years ago during a trail relay that I didn't stop my Garmin, but only because I wanted an accurate account of pace.  WR, were you mid-race or on a training run.  I definitely stop my Garmin when I stop during training workouts.

So did you end up with stitches...and how many?  Yes, we need photos! Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Carbs and Cabernet

Thanks for the support!

I should have taken a "before" picture. Now it is just a bruised and swollen chin with 22 stitches. The visible bone would have been a tad more impressive, but then - after hearing from you - I'm not so sure... Broken toes, index fingers and pinkies did not even stop you...

I'm a nobody! What was I thinking?! Better crawl back into my no-hard-core-zone cave.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm a nobody! What was I thinking?! Better crawl back into my no-hard-core-zone cave.

Are you kidding?!  Running with exposed bone anywhere on the body and a wound requiring TWENTY TWO stitches (*shudder*) -- that's about as hardcore as it gets!  When I jacked my ankle there was no blood or bone showing. (just thinking about that makes me queasy, for realz!)

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay