Training paces for Pfitz 18/70? (Read 264 times)

fittestover40

Dtothe

Congrats on your plan.  Most people jump into marathons before having a good base.  With this Sept target date that's plenty of time to get a proper base and the tempo and marathon pace training you need.  Based on your times you already seem to have a nice base built up and you appear to be more of a strength runner instead of speed.  This will help you with your goal marathon time.  These plans and caculators are often to generic with paces.  This is why some people look at what they run for a 5 or 10K and it doesn't translate out to marathon pace because they really don't have the aerobic base yet.  Based on your times your half is your highest Vo2 race which means your either in much better shape than the beginning of the year or a high strength low speed ratio.

BQ is a great goal and it sure seems like one you can achieve.  Good Luck!

Mmmmm...beer

Ok, so somehow when I read the book the first time, I completely missed Chapter 7 that describes in detail each type of run and how to pace them, I'm an idiot. lol

fittestover40, thanks, my original plan was to keep base building over the summer/fall and do the 18/85 plan over the winter, but the 18/70 plan will have to do for now.  Maybe I'll be ready for more on my next cycle, we'll see.  Part of the difference in my times from Jan to March is probably improved fitness, but I think part of it is also just learning how to race and push myself.  I played it a bit conservative for my 10k and 20k races and then pushed a lil harder for my PR half.  I think I could knock a few minutes off my half time right now, and might have on the 13th, but I didn't taper properly and couldn't pull it off.  But it's all a learning experience, just trying to make sure I don't repeat mistakes. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

fittestover40

Sounds like you have a good handle on it.  Racing does take a lot of experience to master especially when you're doing a range of distances.  The marathon is the hardest to prepare because you just don't know how the body will repsond for 3 hours.  If you get that last 20-22 miler in about 3 weeks out with 10-13 at your goal pace you're about as ready as you can be.  My advice to you would be to not be rigid with this training plan.  Be prepared to make adjustments to training based on how the body is feeling.  Good luck to you!

Ok, so somehow when I read the book the first time, I completely missed Chapter 7 that describes in detail each type of run and how to pace them, I'm an idiot. lol

fittestover40, thanks, my original plan was to keep base building over the summer/fall and do the 18/85 plan over the winter, but the 18/70 plan will have to do for now.  Maybe I'll be ready for more on my next cycle, we'll see.  Part of the difference in my times from Jan to March is probably improved fitness, but I think part of it is also just learning how to race and push myself.  I played it a bit conservative for my 10k and 20k races and then pushed a lil harder for my PR half.  I think I could knock a few minutes off my half time right now, and might have on the 13th, but I didn't taper properly and couldn't pull it off.  But it's all a learning experience, just trying to make sure I don't repeat mistakes. Smile

Mmmmm...beer

Sounds like you have a good handle on it.  Racing does take a lot of experience to master especially when you're doing a range of distances.  The marathon is the hardest to prepare because you just don't know how the body will repsond for 3 hours.  If you get that last 20-22 miler in about 3 weeks out with 10-13 at your goal pace you're about as ready as you can be.  My advice to you would be to not be rigid with this training plan.  Be prepared to make adjustments to training based on how the body is feeling.  Good luck to you!

Thanks.  I'm definitely going to stay flexible.  While I want to BQ and get to Boston next year, I'm not going to risk injury to do it.  I have no problem backing off if needed, even if it means having to wait to get to Boston.  I'm in it for the long haul. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Just looking at this plan.  I've noticed there are only 2 M pace runs (one is a couple of miles in the taper).  This seems odd to me... what am I missing?

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)

Just looking at this plan.  I've noticed there are only 2 M pace runs (one is a couple of miles in the taper).  This seems odd to me... what am I missing?

Not sure, I count 5 marathon pace runs, starting week 16, then 13, 9, 5, then 2 miles race week.

MTA - what edition are you reading?

lagwagon

Not sure, I count 5 marathon pace runs, starting week 16, then 13, 9, 5, then 2 miles race week.

agreed, they build in duration from 8 mi to 10,12 and 14mi.  in fact it seems to me like one of the plans key features.  i do remember reading something in the book's forward (or maybe a review) that Pete added more of these to keep with the latest evidence, so maybe it has changed from earlier edition.

Personally I find runs with more than 10 miles at MP pretty taxing.  I think if you can consistently do 6-8 miles at MP you are probably good.   The key is learning to stay relaxed while running at that faster pace.  You will be glad you mastered them when you are about 20 miles into your race.  Smile

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Marathon Advantage | Running Times

• Black Canyon 100k
                    • RRR
                    • Zane Grey 100k
                    • High Lonesome 100
                    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                    • The Bear 100
                    • Javelina Jundred (?)