Krupicka interview (Read 228 times)

Joann Y

Oh man, if you're a fan of Tony Krupicka, this is a treat...  irunfar interview

running metalhead

Whaoo, THX Joann, I am a great fan of this guy!!
      We even run in the same shoes Smile

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

Just a dude.

Whaoo, THX Joann, I am a great fan of this guy!!
        We even run in the same shoes Smile

At the same time? That has to be awkward... 

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

jpdeaux

That was a good read. It hits on his gratitude for running, respect for his environments, open-mindedness, and sheer outdoors enthusiasm. Plus, it's just fun reading smart people.

Nice find Joann.

bhearn

Very cool, thanks. I had forgotten how interesting a person he is. Though I have to say, it's a bit of a shame that he seems to have left the academic side of things behind (he says hypocritically).

kcam

Good one, thanks for posting that.  Did y'all see this short video of Rob Krar running the Grand Canyon?  A little insight into his demon.  Great footage shot with a Canon 5D DSLR and a MOVI Freefly (gyro stabilized camera system).  Really amazing footage.

http://vimeo.com/105194950

Joann Y

I'm glad others also liked that interview. He is a really interesting (and smart!) person. I read something recently (not sure where) that said something about how from a broad perspective our individual lives can seem very similar, mundane even. (And I think that is true). But it's the details that add richness to us as individuals. At least that's how I understood it. Maybe a pretty obvious observation but it struck a chord and I think that's what makes this a neat interview (the details!). It's like we need to dial in and dial out the focus so as not to take ourselves too seriously.

Good one, thanks for posting that.  Did y'all see this short video of Rob Krar running the Grand Canyon?  A little insight into his demon.  Great footage shot with a Canon 5D DSLR and a MOVI Freefly (gyro stabilized camera system).  Really amazing footage.

http://vimeo.com/105194950

Yeah, I did see that clip a little while ago. It is great footage but something bugs me about it and I'm not sure what. I don't want to say anything negative because I don't know anything about him and obviously this is a very personal thing for him. Maybe the lack of context makes it a little hard to understand.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I enjoyed it too, especially since he grew up just a bit up the road from me.  Still trying to figure out whether he's a study in brilliance or obsession.

And the video...are we more interested in the subject in the video or in whoever's carrying the camera, or the technology?

Joann Y

And the video...are we more interested in the subject in the video or in whoever's carrying the camera, or the technology?

I was referring to Krar. I like almost everything I've seen by Wolpert (don't know anything about him either). And I could care less about the technology.

I was referring to Krar. I like almost everything I've seen by Wolpert (don't know anything about him either). And I could care less about the technology.

An interesting longish read on Krar. People who follow him have probably already seen it, but it was pretty eye opening to me.

Runners run

Joann Y

An interesting longish read on Krar. People who follow him have probably already seen it, but it was pretty eye opening to me.

Hey, thanks. Good read.

Kalsarikännit

Thanks. I hadn't seen it and wasn't aware that he had those breaks in running. I always assumed that he had that glorious road from middle distance to ultra, kind of like a Max King thing.

He is absolutely fascinating because he came out of nowhere and beat a crazy competitive field at UROC 100k running 5:16's for the last four miles (it was flat and decline).  I may have posted this before, but I really like it.

http://www.irunfar.com/2014/03/speed-can-matter-in-ultras-part-two.html

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Joann Y

Thanks. I hadn't seen it and wasn't aware that he had those breaks in running. I always assumed that he had that glorious road from middle distance to ultra, kind of like a Max King thing.

He is absolutely fascinating because he came out of nowhere and beat a crazy competitive field at UROC 100k running 5:16's for the last four miles (it was flat and decline).  I may have posted this before, but I really like it.

http://www.irunfar.com/2014/03/speed-can-matter-in-ultras-part-two.html

I don't think I had any idea that those guys are so fast. Not a quick mental calculation to figure out min/mile when you get to that kind of mileage. And 5:16s for the last 4 miles is nuts. Nice article. Those guys are monsters.