Lance Armstrong appears finally to have run out of rope. (Read 2702 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGV35u35UM4

That was excellent.  Though I think the situation in East Germany in the 70s and 80s is different than what we're seeing in the TdF over the past 20 years.  Those girls featured in the documentary were being harmed by doctors and coaches without their knowledge or consent.  Adding insult to injury is the fact that a former athlete like Rica has been shunned by much of the athletic community subsequent to blowing the whistle on the practitioners who have caused her such physical and emotional damage.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

"If the public received any warning of what was to come, it occurred at the 1983 Pan American Games.

Officials arrived in Venezuela with an improved test for banned substances, triggering a new age in doping control. Fourteen athletes tested positive and more than a dozen members of the U.S. track and field team abruptly withdrew from their events, flying home."

Who are those athletes?  Anybody care to fight for justice against them?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but it sounds as though justice was served back then.

To be clear, I think anyone who cheats should be punished, not just Lance.  He is special only because he dominated so much for so long, and because he was running such an aggressive public defense with his attorneys and his foundation.

As for the anti-doping agencies, they have to focus first on the podium finishers, and most aggressively on those with extraordinary records.

Why is it sideways?

Two good perspectives, one highly analytic and evidence based from inside the sport.

Another from a popular media outlet, interested more in symbolism.

What was it that Dylan said? "You're right from your side and I'm right from mine / We're both just one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind."

Purdey

Self anointed title

I believe in Armstrong's achievements despite all you conspiracy theorists.  Who is to say that they didn't actually land on the moon.  Armstrong is gone now.  Let him rest in peace.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I believe in Armstrong's achievements despite all you conspiracy theorists.  Who is to say that they didn't actually land on the moon.  Armstrong is gone now.  Let him rest in peace.

How do you account for all the drug test evidence that has mysteriously disappeared?  They left it on the moon?

Purdey

Self anointed title

Entirely possible.

#artbydmcbride

Weren't there stringent anti-littering laws even back then?

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

How do you account for all the drug test evidence that has mysteriously disappeared?  They left it on the moon?

Stranger excuses have been tried.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

Stranger excuses have been tried.

That's a lame one. Cyclists are much more creative. 

Tyler Hamilton's "chimera" excuse was pretty strange. 

Landis originally blamed testosterone on a shot of whiskey.

Contador blamed a steak dinner.

Simoni blamed candy, then tea and finally his dentist.

Leukemans blamed high testosterone levels on lots of sex.

Rumsas said all the epo, testosterone, and growth hormone found in his car were for his mother in law.

Vandenbroucke said the drugs found in his medicine cabinent were for his dog.

Just this week Frank Schleck is saying he's a victim of "poisoning." He's using the defense that Xipamide is "very dangerous" so it would be illogical to take it. Well, the fact that most PEDs are "vary dangerous" hasn't seemed to stop the problem yet. I'm surprised he can't come up with anything more creative than that.

jules2

That was excellent.  Though I think the situation in East Germany in the 70s and 80s is different than what we're seeing in the TdF over the past 20 years.  Those girls featured in the documentary were being harmed by doctors and coaches without their knowledge or consent.  Adding insult to injury is the fact that a former athlete like Rica has been shunned by much of the athletic community subsequent to blowing the whistle on the practitioners who have caused her such physical and emotional damage.

Are we certain that what happened then in East Germany isnt happening now in China as the regimes are very similar? In Britain it is claimed that the illegal steroid market is bigger than the heroin market and combined with the ease of buying on the Internet it seems almost certain to me that drug use must happen at the lower levels we compete in where there are no drug tests. Xchristopheout know he isn't a cyclist but what about Shane Warne and his mother in laws slimming pills.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are we certain that what happened then in East Germany isnt happening now in China as the regimes are very similar? In Britain it is claimed that the illegal steroid market is bigger than the heroin market and combined with the ease of buying on the Internet it seems almost certain to me that drug use must happen at the lower levels we compete in where there are no drug tests. Xchristopheout know he isn't a cyclist but what about Shane Warne and his mother in laws slimming pills.

I'd be surprised if that weren't the case in China.

There is an article in the current Outside Magazine about the increasing prevalence of testing at the amateur level.  Were I ever tested (which would be laughable, as I'm a solid back-of-the-packer, C race, Cat 4/5 racer) I'd certainly fail given my use of legal PEDs in the form of inhaled steroids and albuterol for asthma and occasional Pseudoephedrine for allergy/sinus issues.  People like me with documented health issues that warrant these meds can be given special exceptions, but I'm not sure that all competitive organizations will accept these exceptions.

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

That's a lame one. Cyclists are much more creative. 

Tyler Hamilton's "chimera" excuse was pretty strange. 

Landis originally blamed testosterone on a shot of whiskey.

Contador blamed a steak dinner.

Simoni blamed candy, then tea and finally his dentist.

Leukemans blamed high testosterone levels on lots of sex.

Rumsas said all the epo, testosterone, and growth hormone found in his car were for his mother in law.

Vandenbroucke said the drugs found in his medicine cabinent were for his dog.

Just this week Frank Schleck is saying he's a victim of "poisoning." He's using the defense that Xipamide is "very dangerous" so it would be illogical to take it. Well, the fact that most PEDs are "vary dangerous" hasn't seemed to stop the problem yet. I'm surprised he can't come up with anything more creative than that.

A link escapes me now, but Contador's steak excuse is actually very plausible.  There was a confirmed case of several athletes testing positive from eating steak from Mexico...they actually linked it directly back to the meat.  They use all sorts of steroids and other medications in their animals that are not legal in the US (this is even true of Canada).

Some of the others I had forgotten about, thanks for the chuckles.  If I am ever busted I will use a Leukemans. 

Was it Gatlin that blamed it on "male enhancement" pills?  Though that one too is plausible, just stupid.

It is actually very hard to take anything for cold/sinuses that wouldn't get you banned.  I once spent over an hour searching through the USADA banned substance list while my buddy who was days away from leaving for a USATF championship event tried in vain to find something to help him clear his head so he could breath when he ran.  We never did find anything he could take.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It is actually very hard to take anything for cold/sinuses that wouldn't get you banned.  I once spent over an hour searching through the USADA banned substance list while my buddy who was days away from leaving for a USATF championship event tried in vain to find something to help him clear his head so he could breath when he ran.  We never did find anything he could take.

I'd think even nasal decongestant sprays are on the list...and they are scary addictive, too (my dad has chronically used Afrin for as long as I can remember.  I have to be REALLY desperate to use that stuff and after more than about 2 days of it starts to make me paranoid that it could cause rebound effects and become habit-forming).

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

I'd think even nasal decongestant sprays are on the list

The entire cold+sinus aisle is on the list.  I'm not kidding.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The entire cold+sinus aisle is on the list.  I'm not kidding.

Neti pot FTW!

~ Sarah Kay