Do I need to follow a training plan if I'm just running for my own enjoyment? (Read 1900 times)

I've been running and cycling for over a year now, my only objective is to be fit and active.  I have no real desire to compete in any races, although that may change in time.  I've been logging my activities on this website for the past few months, (all of my running & cycling for the last year is on Garmin Connect)  and would appreciate some input with regards to a running & cycling schedule that I would like to begin next week.  I'm considering alternating between running and cycling 6 days a week, M-W-F: 10 mile run, Tu-Th: 20 mile bike ride/Sat: 35 mile bike ride.  If you look at my training log you can see what I've been up to lately, please keep in mind that I only discovered this website a few months ago, and have over a years worth of cycling and running logged on Garmin Connect.  Seeing how I'm NOT training for any race/event, I'm just looking for some friendly advice to see if I should just stick to my current schedule. Thanks in advance.

Stephen.

Change your thoughts and you change your world.
    Norman Vincent Peale

Believe you can and you're halfway there.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Lane

If it works for you and you're getting everything you want out of it, why change?  If you work up to it slowly enough to avoid injury,  I don't see a problem with that schedule.

A Saucy Wench

Hell, I dont follow a training plan when I AM training for a race.  Although this:

a running & cycling schedule that I would like to begin next week.  I'm considering alternating between running and cycling 6 days a week, M-W-F: 10 mile run, Tu-Th: 20 mile bike ride/Sat: 35 mile bike ride. 

That constitutes a training plan. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

But you are on a training plan.  It's the get out and run, sometimes farther, occasionally faster plan. I used the same plan, except without the bicycling, to run four marathons so far.  Looking at your log, you could go out and race a half marathon right now. 

Have fun.  Enjoy. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm considering alternating between running and cycling 6 days a week, M-W-F: 10 mile run, Tu-Th: 20 mile bike ride/Sat: 35 mile bike ride. 

That constitutes a training plan. 

Much more of a training plan than I have, and I do race.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Queen of 3rd Place

There's no need to change anything if you're looking for fitness and you're not getting so bored that you stop. If all of your runs are joyful, well, I'll admit to being a little jealous. 

Personally, I need goals, even if they're modest, pointless and/or flat-out stupid. The thing about goals (and why my point is germane to your question) is that they guide my training, for example I signed up to run a trail ultra so I discovered long trail runs and back-to-back long runs, or I wanted to race local 5K and 10Ks and played around with short, fast track repeats. The variety has certainly made running a lot more interesting and fun for me.

Just to throw out a few ideas:

1) trail running - a great way to see some beautiful places, hey why hike when you can run?

2) fun runs - I always get a kick out of people who are so excited to be running X miles for the first time

3) local races - what a blast to have a friendly rivalry with other people in your age group!

4) yearly mileage goals - dumb for so many reasons, but sometimes, say when it's freakin' HOT out there, it keeps me stupidly trudging on going

5) time goals - nice round numbers are as good as any, lots of people like to try to qualify for the Boston marathon

6) running marathons in all 50 states- travel and meet up with long-lost friends!

7) running X marathons in a Y time period - get more stars on the Marathon Maniacs site!

I'm sure there are many others that people have dreamed up. It's all about what sounds fun. Then you can figure out your workout schedule.

Ex runner

There's certainly no need to have a training plan, if you're enjoying what you're doing then stick with it.

But racing can be fun... try it out Smile

Stranger than you know

You don't need a training plan.

BUT I think it's a good idea to know the basics of what training plans look like and how/why they work. This helps you avoid mistakes in running, especially injuries if you increase the training load.

For example, most training programs have a variety of run types and run lengths through the week. There's two reasons for this:

1. Different types of runs work on various physiological properties. This isn't important if you are just running for fun.

2. Variable runs are both mentally and physically less straining than repeating the same thing over and over. Running 4x10 miles could be overtraining for a person who could easily tolerate 5+8+12+15 miles, also a 40 mile total.

If your current running pattern is fun and causes no trouble, you don't need to worry about all this stuff. But if you want to increase the work load, it is a good idea to know the guidelines ... you can always ignore them if you want to Smile

I've PR'd two HM's and one 5K since March with no training plan whatsoever other than trying to run at least one hour each time out and at least one longer run of 1:30 each week.  I have no set days to run or set miles, just the time on my feet.  No speed either...just get out and run some easier miles (mostly due to runner's knee issue since January). 

Why is it sideways?

Just run, baby.

"run" "2" "eat"

Just run, baby.

+42

(hey, jeff!)

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Well you all have given me some things to consider, and I appreciate everyone's input. I think I'll probably be better off spreading my goal of running 30 miles a week over a four, or five day period, instead of trying to run 10 miles every other day during the week.   Having some sort of goal is a good idea, so I'll shoot for a weekly mileage goal of 30 miles running & 60 -75 miles a week on the bike.  I think that those are obtainable goals, now I just need to decide how to spread out my running & cycling mileage from Monday - Saturday.  Thanks everyone!

Stephen.

Change your thoughts and you change your world.
                          Norman Vincent Peale

Believe you can and you're halfway there.
                          Theodore Roosevelt

Just run, baby.

That's the quote I was waiting for.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Just run, baby.

+4

just do it! and of course enjoy it!

bob e v
                              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.