Damn It's Good to be Back! (Read 91 times)

So, running is pretty awesome. Especially when you haven't been able to for 20 months cause screw you groin.

Pretty much what I learned in that time is

1) Don't get hip or groin inuries

2) Especially don't try to come back too quickly and aggressive from such injuries

3) Injuries really suck

4) Don't slip on ice when you already have a groin strain

5) Year+ injuries REALLY suck

6) Enduring over a year and a half of elliptical workouts definitely if worth it when you do come back as you find you still have some semblance of fitness

7) Groin/Hip injuries reeaallllyyy SUCK

So yea, pretty much just an "I'm back" thread. Gameplan now is a very conservative return to running with an increase of maybe 5-10 miles a month, and stabilizing back at 40mpw for at least 6 months.

On the plus side I am basically as fit now as I was pre injury despite being 10lbs heavier and not running. I can only guess that my training age was young enough that those 6-7 hours a week of elliptical were enough to build up overall fitness even in light of lost running-specific fitness.

If I can stay injury free and keep eating well I feel pretty excited at what i might be able to do in the fall

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

BeeRunB

Welcome back. But for the grace of God go I in the slipping on ice department. Twice a year I'd slip, but somehow (like the theater) it all turned out well. I live in Atlanta now, and ice is rare. I hope you stay healthy and enjoy the new journey.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Welcome back.We know your pain too will.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Wow! Welcome back. Your persistence and hard work to get back into shape and return to running is admirable and inspirational. Keep healthy, and keep up the good work!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.