This might sound simple but... (Read 836 times)

I've been running for a couple of months now and can see some real improvements. But my pace always seems to slow during the middle of my run. I am fast at the beginning and always try to finish strong but some where in the middle it is like I lose track of my feet and slow right down which of course slows my over all pace. How do you guys keep yourselves in a consistant pace without mile markers and a watch?

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

When I have runs that resemble what you describe, it's usually because I'm starting too fast, then I need to slow down a bit in the middle to recover and then I can pick up the pace again at the end. My suggestion would be to slow down - just a touch in the beginning and see if that helps. I don't know how others do it without a watch - I've always run with a watch and more recently a Garmin.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I usually wear a watch but don't always know how far I've gone. I would love to buy a forerunner but my wife is a non runner and doesn't understand the obsession so the price tag is a little much for her to swallow quite yet.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

I hear you on convincing the wife to spend money on gadgets. Another thing you could do is use the mapping tool to plan out some mile (and possibly half mile) markers and use your watch to keep a more even pace.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

The Plodder

I am about to start work on convincing my non-running wife that a Garmin would be a good purchase, but for the meantime i do most of my outdoor running round a course that i know pretty well, or along our local canals that have the advantage of having mile markers, although when you get outside of the city the tow-paths are a bit rough.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

What Bonkin is saying is that if you use the course mapping tool on this site (under the tools tab), you can figure out where your mile markers are on just about any course you run (either using the street maps or the satellite view).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Or you could just buy it, then when she asks when you got it? Say, this ol' thing? It's from the 80s. Big grin Try to go out a little slower at the beginning would be my advice!
                2009: BQ?

Basically... run!

What Bonkin is saying is that if you use the course mapping tool on this site (under the tools tab), you can figure out where your mile markers are on just about any course you run (either using the street maps or the satellite view).
                  That is what I do to plan my runs. Then I just have to remember where each mile is (intersection or landmark) so I can check my pace. This works well when I'm running around the neighborhoods near my home because I just use the same courses depending on how many miles I want to do. The only annoying thing is always having to stick to a certain course. I'd love to get a Garmin (and would if it was 1/3 the size) so that I could run any which way direction-wise and still be able to log the distance of my run.

Into the wild

Buy a Garmin...I don' notice mine....and thats a 201 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=230&tab=forerunner201

Shut up and run

I use my HR monitor. Sometimes, I notice my HR dipping in the middle of the run so I'll pick up the pace a little to get it closer to my target.
                      "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Buy a Garmin...I don' notice mine....and thats a 201 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=230&tab=forerunner201
                        The current 205/305 series is much smaller than the 201. The only time I notice my 305 (my avatar) is when I choose to look at it or when it beeps at me.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

actually if you put them next to each other they are almost exactly the same size. the 305 just looks less bulky as its bulk straps round the wrist rather than going along it. the weights are pretty much exactly the same too. still i'd rather have a 305 than a 301 though due to the fact its locks on to the satellites so much better.