I won a cyclocross race! (Read 672 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wish I had a photo of myself looking THAT GOOD!

This one taken at the start is good, too.  I want to add a thought bubble that says "OMG, I'm SO gonna win this thing!"  That was right before the overwhelming feelings of dread and terror and inadequacy and second thoughts overwhelmed me.  I always get that a minute or two into a race, as shit starts to get real.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Black-Toe-Nailed

Kudos!

Cyclocross is a great sport, you really need a good condition for that

--

"If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years,
      then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter.
      I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to."

Emil Zatopek

xhristopher

Kudos!

Cyclocross is a great sport, you really need a good condition for that

Nice. That should give you a boost. I'll be lucky if I just participate in a second CX race this season.

DoppleBock

Congrats

What is Cyclocross?

How does it differ from mountain biking?  Or Duathalons?

Is it like a long course BMX ish type race or do they make you get off and push/carry you bike over / around obstacles?

How long has it been around?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

xhristopher

Congrats

What is Cyclocross?

Is it like a long course BMX ish type race or do they make you get off and push/carry you bike over / around obstacles?

Cyclocross is when you are crazy enough to ride a road bike with little knobs on the tires around in circles through grass, sand and mud. 

You get to get off and run while carrying a bike.

You have to go at about 10K effort so people crash easily due to fatigue.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Wow!   Congrats Zoomy!

steph  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Congrats

What is Cyclocross?

Dang, I had a long post about it and then the power went out while they install our Smart Meter. Wikipedia has a good page. World championships are in Loiusville this Feb...wish we could go.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You have to go at about 10K effort so people crash easily due to fatigue.

This is almost exactly how I've described it...5-10k effort for 30-60 minutes (depending upon the race division) + coordination necessary to get on and off the bike, tackle hairy terrain, carry the bike up and over things, and not run over or be run over by other riders.  After a lap or two I really start to find my coordination diminishing greatly--and it's pretty much shit to begin with.  I've yet to crash, this season.  I doubt I will make it through unscathed, though.

And then there are the "beer hand-ups" at the tops of hills that make matters more sketchy (I have yet to take one, because I'd almost certainly be DFL or puke with even a few oz. of beer in my stomach).  One of the A guys was drinking a couple of ounces on each lap on lap on Sunday and it was hilarious how much slower he was with each subsequent lap and how much longer it took him to get back on the bike...then he dropped his chain.  I think it was really an excuse to rest while putting the chain back on the bike.

We haven't had any really muddy races, yet, this season.  Well, there was one, but that was when a bunch of us were in Tahoe for the JDRF ride.  It poured rain for much of that race.  The muddy races are extra crazy fun.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow!   Congrats Zoomy!

Thanks! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I should add that as much fun as a CX race is to ride, it's at least as much fun to spectate (DB, I am pretty certain there are a few CX series in your neck-of-the-woods, too.  I know I saw video of at least one WI race that had a beer hand-up).  Heckling and cowbells are required components (one chick used to tote a megaphone around in earlier seasons and was pretty ruthless in her "critiques" of riders).  This season DH and I have been threatening one-another to sleep in the garage.  DS picked-up a $25 trombone to mock us as we race.  In a couple of weeks most of us will be sporting Halloween costumes during the race.

Wiki link.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

And then there are the "beer hand-ups

Last month as we were staging the race organizer gave his talk about the race, thanking us for coming, thanking the sponsors, etc... It was all very heartfelt and positive. Then talked about the course a bit. Finally he got to the topic of "beer hand-ups."

His demeanor changed to that of a principal after you got busted. He said we've worked very hard to get this race off the ground over the last year. We've worked very hard to get sponsors over the last year and due to this we're making a sizable donation our chosen charity. We've worked very hard to get approval to use this venue and if were going to be allowed back next year there will be no FUCKING beer hand-ups. I had better not see a single FUCKING beer hand-up. If I do see a FUCKING beer hand up you are going to have to FUCKING deal with me and there's going to be FUCKING hell to pay!

Damn!

It was the soberest CX race outside of UTAH I bet.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Last month as we were staging the race organizer gave his talk about the race, thanking us for coming, thanking the sponsors, etc... It was all very heartfelt and positive. Then talked about the course a bit. Finally he got to the topic of "beer hand-ups."

His demeanor changed to that of a principal after you got busted. He said we've worked very hard to get this race off the ground over the last year. We've worked very hard to get sponsors over the last year and due to this we're making a sizable donation our chosen charity. We've worked very hard to get approval to use this venue and if were going to be allowed back next year there will be no FUCKING beer hand-ups. I had better not see a single FUCKING beer hand-up. If I do see a FUCKING beer hand up you are going to have to FUCKING deal with me and there's going to be FUCKING hell to pay!

Damn!

It was the soberest CX race outside of UTAH I bet.

Boo!  Founder's sponsors the Kisscross races.  Even in uppity West MI there is beer at many races, as long as it's OK with the venue.   Founder's had a half-barrel of Centennial IPA that we emptied on Sunday.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Boo!  Founder's sponsors the Kisscross races.  Even in uppity West MI there is beer at many races, as long as it's OK with the venue.   Founder's had a half-barrel of Centennial IPA that we emptied on Sunday.

It was fine by me. Plus it was 9 in the morning. I like to try and hold off from drinking till at least brunch time.

I've gotta imagine open land and good venues are harder to come by in the northeast, especially within a 45 minute drive of Boston. The venue was good. Here's a pic from the race. Even the fast sections were curvy.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It was fine by me. Plus it was 9 in the morning. I like to try and hold off from drinking till at least brunch time.

Ahhh...yes, our races are 11, 12, 1 -- so perfect timing to have a few beers and then go grab post-race lunch.

~ Sarah Kay

DoppleBock

Looks like all things that could be on a mountain bike course - But in a controlled environment and the bikes look like a lot smaller less nobby tires than mountain biking.

I am sure I am offending someone - But it looks like a sprint mountain bike race they put in a loop controlled environment ( more spectator friendly) with purposefully longer segments put in to carry your bike.  Having smaller courses also would allow them to be set up in much more population dense urban area parks.

When I get time I will Wiki it.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !