biking -- how can it help running? (Read 1374 times)

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

For overall cross training, I think cycling gives a deeper fitness. Running will certainly make you overall more fit in less time, but I find that the long, low-intensity rides lead to really long-lasting strength. I'm always amazed at how good I feel on the first few spring rides. And do the hills! Long ones, short ones, steep ones, do 'em all. Do uphill intervals on 'em. For the ultimate whacked-out fun, though, find a local bike shop and learn how to do paceline rides. There's nothing like them. The one I do from time to time covers 40 miles in a bit under two hours, and that includes a few "regroup" segments where we loaf along in the 15-18 mph range before cranking back up to 24-25. Oh, and let's not forget the stop sign sprints - up to 34-35 easily. Paceline rides make you realize just how strong you actually are. did

Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm thinking we have a biker in our midst... !!! diddidit, your secret's out!

Roads were made for journeys...

Jill_B

I fly.

Thanks diddidit!

Bring it on.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm thinking we have a biker in our midst... !!! diddidit, your secret's out!
          Just don't ask him about his bike...trust me on this one! Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Just don't ask him about his bike...trust me on this one! Wink k
            OH ROOOBEEEE YOU'RE BLACK AND YOU'RE LIGHT AND YOU'RE SHYYYYNEEEE TWENTY SPEEDS, DURA-ACE, AND YELLOW CON-TEEEES etc. etc. did

Member Since 2008

I try to run and bike at least once per day. I can get my heart rate up tot the same leve on the bike as I han with running, although, I do have to bike longer. A good work out is to go on a twenty mile jount, run one mile, ride one mile, run one mile, ride one mile, and so on. The trick to this is you have to have very good balance when running cause you have to lead the bike next to you.
              waterfordrider

Team Effort

I had to take up riding when I had an achilles that would not heal. I am now doing 4000 to 5000 miles a year. Cycling's major benefit to the runner is maintaining and improving aerobic capacity. Hill work, flat work, it is all good. Learn to maintain a high cadence. I have found when I keep my cadence above 90, I can go a lot further and longer. If you are turning your pedals over too slowly, you will burn your legs up before you gain much benefit. Learn to shift gears. You do not have to have a top of the line cycle, but you want one of good quality. If you are doing mostly road work, get a road bike. Break down , get the bike shorts. They will add immeasureably to your comfort on a long ride. Clipless pedals and bike shoes are much better than clips and your running shoes. Bike shoes are designed to transmit your power to the bike better than your running shoes can, plus your feet do not fall asleep. Smile

www.runninngahead.com/groups/5000MC/forum

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

...You do not have to have a top of the line cycle...
                  Of course, eventually, you get addicted, and you end up with, say, a Waterford... Wink did

waterfordrider

Team Effort

Of course, eventually, you get addicted, and you end up with, say, a Waterford... Wink That is true. Except this is a used frame that happened to be my size. But one day... Big grin

www.runninngahead.com/groups/5000MC/forum

shonan marathon, girl

I highly recommend biking and swimming. It will help prevent over-use injuries and give your body the best balanced workout. This year I haven't been out riding much because of the cold, but plan to do more and more as the weather warms up. I love biking up hills and mountains. I am not exactly sure how biking helps running. One belief that I do have is that too much of just one sport isn't very good and it is smart to cross-train.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!