Yet another shoe question (Read 779 times)

Lia's Daddy

I have a dilema. Currently I am running in Asics (2120). They have 328 miles on them. Last night on my run I noticed that the balls of my feet felt a little sore (like a bruise). I have never had this pain before. They feel fine today. I am attributing it to the shoes getting worn out. My problem is that I'm not goint to be able to replace them until a week from Wed. What should I do in the meantime. I am building a base from a previous injury and DO NOT want to get injured again. I figure I have about 5 or 6 more runs to do before I can replace my shoes. I have a pair of 2120 trails that are great but I do not envision being able to get to the trails to run in the next week? Should I run in them on the road? Should I just HTFU and get a few more miles (30ish) out of these shoes? Should I take a week offf (not really an option I want to consider)? Should I get on my hands and knees and beg my wife to let me put a new pair of shoes on the credit card tomorrow? Confused
    "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
      I would avoid hills and cut back on your long run this week, and see how it goes, maybe just a one time thing.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Junior Amphibian

Or you can buy athletic inserts. They're cheaper and add quite a bit of mileage to your shoes.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

A is A

I dont see any reason why you couldnt use your trail shoes on pavement. It's not like it violates the laws of physics -- a good running shoe is a good running shoe.
            If you're that worried about the shoes, maybe run slower so you're not going to jar your feet as much when hitting the pavement.

SMART Approach

Wear your trail shoes if a lot of life left. They may be a bit heavier but who cares. You need the cushioning.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Another option other then what every one has suggested, replace you insole with the ones from your tail shoes and see if it helps. In my experience, when a pair of shoes go out the insole goes first.

Lia's Daddy

Thanks everyone for the input. I ran in my road shoes again last night. Didn't develop any new pain but I don't think I will push it. I'm going to run in my trail shoes for the rest of the week.
                  "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
                    I have a dilema. Currently I am running in Asics (2120). They have 328 miles on them. Last night on my run I noticed that the balls of my feet felt a little sore (like a bruise). I have never had this pain before. They feel fine today. I am attributing it to the shoes getting worn out. My problem is that I'm not goint to be able to replace them until a week from Wed. What should I do in the meantime. I am building a base from a previous injury and DO NOT want to get injured again. I figure I have about 5 or 6 more runs to do before I can replace my shoes. I have a pair of 2120 trails that are great but I do not envision being able to get to the trails to run in the next week? Should I run in them on the road? Should I just HTFU and get a few more miles (30ish) out of these shoes? Should I take a week offf (not really an option I want to consider)? Should I get on my hands and knees and beg my wife to let me put a new pair of shoes on the credit card tomorrow? Confused
                    Shoes are very much an individual thing, but I am far from convinced that heavier shoes with more cushioning are of any help. I tried them briefly in the hope they would help with hip soreness I was getting all the time during my first year back into serious training a little more than 3 years ago. After that I developed a mild, but persistent case of plantar fascitis. Finally I went back to my light shoes that I'd always worn before and started doing several of my weekly runs on soft grass. I haven't had an injury in 2 years (knock on wood). I think the hip soreness was more because of being a bit over ambitious that first year rather than shoes I was wearing. At the same height as you and 138-140 lbs I am often told that I am skinny. At 5' 9" and 135 lbs I think there is a chance that light shoes could work well for you. I know it sounds counterintuitive but it might be worth a try. I actually wear racing flats for most of my runs, including long ones on the pavement (I still do most of daily maintenance runs on grass though). The flats I use are in the 7.5 - 9.5 ounce range rather than the ultra light models. The cushioning is suprisingly good too. A couple nice ones are the Asics Bandito and the Saucony Grid Type A. The Asics is a true racing shoe, while the Saucony is a lightweight trainer. Both have a nice, cushy feel despite being so light. I'm still doing daily runs in my Asics Ohana racers with almost 400 miles on them and they don't seem even close to wearing out or losing their cushioning. They have been discontinued and the very similar Bandito has replaced them.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Lia's Daddy

Jim- You have given me something to think about. I have only run in the heavier cushioned shoes. Maybe I'll buy some lighter shoes to rotate in. I stopped by the running store on the way home from work and picked up some new shoes. I ended up going with Brooks Glycerine 6. Felt like putting on slippers! Yes, I am a true addict. I can always find money for my next "fix". Wink
                        +1 on the Grid Type A.