Recovery from Marathon (Read 515 times)

I know that many of you have run your first marathon this year (yeah for Sara, Rick, Marion, Freckles, and I'm sure there are more of you out there too!!!). I finished my first marathon two weeks ago. I have done three easy runs since, and I'm developing some pains - on my left knee it is on the bottom of the kneecap toward the outside of my leg (ITB area?) and on my right leg it is behind the knee - like the muscle group that connects the hammy to the calf muscle. I didn't have any of these pains before the race...and the second half of the race was pretty difficult for me. Is this normal? Should I take it easy and do non-running exercises for another week or so? When should I start to worry that this isn't just soreness/recovery and it is an injury? Thanks for your help!

The Greatest of All Time

Should I take it easy and do non-running exercises for another week or so?
      That's what I would do. You might have inflammed anatomical features in your knee that need more time to resolve themselves.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        I ran a 1/2 about 3 weeks ago, and really pushed it at the end, I don't want an injury, so I have been taking some Advil before bed and trying to bring the inflammation down, I know its in there! I tried doing some very easy running and it just didn't work out for me, then I walked on a treadmill at a slow pace with incline on about 5 and speed at 3.5 to 4.0, raising and lowering the incline from 2 to 8 like a walk in the park and its been helping out, its low stress but at high incline it gets my heart rate up. I have learned the lessons from the past and if your body says no, then you shouldn't push it because running is a full body exercise. My next race isn't for a while and I will build up to it.

Bugs

Clearly your body is saying not to run, but some activity might help recovery. How about trying some swimming?

Bugs