Hey guys! Help with new poll (Read 273 times)

Nygrad

Hey

1) Do you buy photos of yourself following a registered race? 

A) Yes 
    B) Sometimes 
    C) Rarely 
    D) No 

2) If not, what is the reason for not doing so? (Choose more then one answer

A) Cost 
    B) Quality 
    C) Inconvenience 
    D) Did not know you can purchase photos! 

3) How much would you be willing to pay for a high quality photo? 

A) $1 
    B) $2 
    C) $5 
    D) $10 
    E) > $10 

4) How would you rank your purchasing photo experience? 

A) A 
    B) B 
    C) C 
    D) D 
    E) F 
    F) Have not purchased photo 

5) What are your questions, concerns, and/or concerns regarding race day photos? (Please comment)

joescott

Even though this smells like spam, I'll answer because this is a personal peeve of mine.

marathonfoto and their ilk charge highway-robbery rates for race photos, so I refuse to buy them except under the most extreme duress.  I understand that they need to make money for their time and trouble, but I wonder if they could be far far away from the sweet spot of the cost-volume curve that would maximize their revenue (and profit for that matter).  I have to think there are gazillions of people out there like me who wouldn't mind coughing up $10 for a nice digital photo but there is no way I'm going to give you $35 for one photo or even, say, $55 for the "special" that gets me all the digital copies from the race.  No way in H, e, double toothpicks.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Nygrad

No scam! Smile

I honestly appreciate the response.

Joe, do you think it is just a matter of money your concerned with? Do you like everything else about the way marathonfoto operates?

sugnim

No.  I do not buy them.  My friends take photos & share them for free.

Oh roo roooo!

+1 to joescott.  The cost is simply outrageous, IMHO.  Then again, the cost of registering for a race is increasingly outrageous too, as far as I am concerned, so maybe it's all perfectly proportional and in line. Guess I'm just old, cheap and crotchety.

Nygrad

Ah I see. It's the cost that scares people away. I was just doing this poll cause I felt the same.

Even though this smells like spam, I'll answer because this is a personal peeve of mine.

marathonfoto and their ilk charge highway-robbery rates for race photos, so I refuse to buy them except under the most extreme duress.  I understand that they need to make money for their time and trouble, but I wonder if they could be far far away from the sweet spot of the cost-volume curve that would maximize their revenue (and profit for that matter).  I have to think there are gazillions of people out there like me who wouldn't mind coughing up $10 for a nice digital photo but there is no way I'm going to give you $35 for one photo or even, say, $55 for the "special" that gets me all the digital copies from the race.  No way in H, e, double toothpicks.

This!  I too would buy photos more often if they weren't so darn expensive. Charge a lot less and you'll make your money in volume.

Julia1971

1) A

2) N/A

3) E

4) C

5) My main gripe is the cost of an individual photo is so expensive. It seems like a racket to get you to buy all your photos since the cost isn't that much more.  I also don't understand why it takes so long to process the photos. I hate waiting more than about 2 days. I generally like the quality but they tend to be so boring. Every race photo is from the front. Why not take a picture from another angle? One of my favorite race pictures was taken from above (and was free).

catwhoorg

Labrat

One of the local guys charges $5-10 for a photo for most of his events.

Some he even does them free to the user (presumably the RD pays him in advance).

$35+ from the big chain folks - crazy at that price.

So

B

A

C-D

B

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Nygrad

1) A

2) N/A

3) E

4) C

5) My main gripe is the cost of an individual photo is so expensive. It seems like a racket to get you to buy all your photos since the cost isn't that much more.  I also don't understand why it takes so long to process the photos. I hate waiting more than about 2 days. I generally like the quality but they tend to be so boring. Every race photo is from the front. Why not take a picture from another angle? One of my favorite race pictures was taken from above (and was free).

Interesting. I think angle is a pretty good idea considering most shots are from the front. Wait time is another issue on concern...

Penguin Forever

1) Do you buy photos of yourself following a registered race?

D) No

2) If not, what is the reason for not doing so? (Choose more then one answer)

A) Cost
                        B) Quality
                        There might be five pictures of me in a race, but only one is halfway decent. That one picture is not worth the amount of money most pay-for-pics places charge. The other pictures suck (blurry, poorly framed, can't tell it's me, etc), so I don't even want them, let alone want them enough to pay for them in a bulk package.

3) How much would you be willing to pay for a high quality photo?

A) $1
                        B) $2
                        C) $5
                        D) $10

For a really nice, wow, hang it on the wall pic, yeah, I'd pay up to $10.

4) How would you rank your purchasing photo experience?

F) Have not purchased photo

The few pictures I do have were from events that didn't charge for photos. There are a couple I probably would have paid for if there had been a fee.

5) What are your questions, concerns, and/or concerns regarding race day photos? (Please comment)

It's hard enough to fork over the money for the race, to have to pay for pics on top is sometimes too much. I'm only gonna buy if the photo turned out awesome. I'm fairly vain, so I'm going to be picky about what is "awesome." Not every race is going to have one of those.

#artbydmcbride

If the picture actually made me look good, I might spend $35, but since they all are taken late in the race, at the top of a hill, when my eyes are closed, when my mouth is gaping open, or I look like I am having some sort of psychotic or epileptic spasm, I only want the memento for $10 or less.   Big grin

Runners run

delicate flower

I voted.

<3

The only pic I paid was for my first marathon, a high quality photo for about 10 bucks.  Have enough pics from races taken by friends to know that I don't look nearly as awesome as I think I do when running.

I don't look nearly as awesome as I think I do when running.

that made me laugh...