2011 Goal of Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 8006 times)

Probably this is good advice above.  But it is not my experience. 

The first two times I ran Boston I tried to just ease up the hills and had two colossal failures, although that factor alone was certainly not decisive.  However, I decided in round three that I had to do things differently -- I had to hit first rather than waiting for the course to hit me.  So I trained hard on hills all winter and (moderately) attacked the uphills in Newton and used the downhills for recovery.  It worked for me, and it worked again the following year.  Maybe it was just a change of mind state, but I got dramatically different results.  I would also urge taking the first 16 very relaxed -- not slow necessarily, but not running away with the loooooonnng downhill, either.  I have a friend who believes in running the first 16 fast, banking time, and then just suffering through the last 10.  I personally will not run the race this way.

I'm not saying to walk up the Newton hills, but  I think attacking the hills might be a little much. I was able to run 6:30's-6:40's through the Newton hills (except for 21 which was a 6:55, this has HBH). And then comeback and run high 6:20's, low 6:30's all the way into the finish.

You pace for miles 17/18 should be GMP + 15. For mile 21, GMP + 25. 19-20 can be GMP to GMP + 10. That's not easy, but not killing it. You should count on positive splitting 45 - 90 seconds for optimal race.

joescott

I'm not saying to walk up the Newton hills, but  I think attacking the hills might be a little much. I was able to run 6:30's-6:40's through the Newton hills (except for 21 which was a 6:55, this has HBH). And then comeback and run high 6:20's, low 6:30's all the way into the finish.

You pace for miles 17/18 should be GMP + 15. For mile 21, GMP + 25. 19-20 can be GMP to GMP + 10. That's not easy, but not killing it. You should count on positive splitting 45 - 90 seconds for optimal race.

Well, I won't argue with you.  You probably have more experience on the course than I do.  In support of your point, I did positive split it by 1:48 when I PR'd there in 2007, but I think I lost most of that in the last couple of miles as I was just fighting to hang on.  I negative split it in 2006, however, and that was also a PR and a dandy of a race for me all the way around.  But certainly it is possible that it was not "optimal".  Pretty hard to run an optimal marathon in my experience -- I think I've run only 1 that I would call "optimal" out of the 15 total I have run. 

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Ok Im in. London April 17th 2011.

After blowing up in my first ever marathon last year in Belfast and finishing in 3.11, I am going to prepare a bit better this time.

I gotta be 14lbs lighter than last year and get a lot more miles under the belt.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

kcam

Well, I won't argue with you.  You probably have more experience on the course than I do.  In support of your point, I did positive split it by 1:48 when I PR'd there in 2007, but I think I lost most of that in the last couple of miles as I was just fighting to hang on.  I negative split it in 2006, however, and that was also a PR and a dandy of a race for me all the way around.  But certainly it is possible that it was not "optimal".  Pretty hard to run an optimal marathon in my experience -- I think I've run only 1 that I would call "optimal" out of the 15 total I have run.

Joe - just wanted to say .... WOW!  Huge improvement in going from a 2:58 to 2:50 at Twin Cities last month.  Nice work.

Are we there yet?

Joe - just wanted to say .... WOW!  Huge improvement in going from a 2:58 to 2:50 at Twin Cities last month.  Nice work.

Indeed.. Joe and I have a lil wager on the side.. who can go sub 2:50 in Beantown.. place your bets.. place your bets

Indeed.. Joe and I have a lil wager on the side.. who can go sub 2:50 in Beantown.. place your bets.. place your bets

Hopefully you both will and I'll come in 2 minutes ahead of you.... Big grin  Boston is my favorite marathon course to run fast on. Hopefully I'll get to try Houston in 2012 and see if I remember it to being fast also...

joescott

First of all, gosh, thanks for the notes of encouragement, Kahn, ken, Sreen Name 1 (if that is your real name).  Blush

Also, this is starting to get a little competitive!  (In a good way)!  I think maybe I'll just try to hang on to you guys in Boston and maybe good things will happen.

MTA:  Bet on ChakaKahn, he is much younger and, I am sure, better looking....

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Are we there yet?

Also, this is starting to get a little competitive!  (In a good way)!  I think maybe I'll just try to hang on to you guys in Boston and maybe good things will happen.

Nice Joe, an attempt to feign humility.. and while certainly better looking.. it may be my ultimate demise @ Wellesly.

2 minutes dcv??Screen Name.. thats all I needed to hear...

I thought running up the Hills last year at Boston was the easy part. 

The start -> newton hills did a number of my quads.  I did a ton of steep up hills to prepare for going up the major hills but absolutely no long runs on really rolling hills.    Where I was living made getting that sort of simulation hard.

For NYC,  the goal is to actually go in properly trained.  That should help.  Smile

gilbertlemieux

Hi everyone,

I'm taking the plunge and putting my name down this year.  Hugely optimistic, but I won't let that stop me.  I lurked around the 2010 list and was so jealous of people hitting their goal times.  I think Chicago (10/9/11) will be my goal race... Way Too Cool 50k (if I get in) and Big Sur are not conducive to this goal. 

Background, as requested: been running on and off since high school, but only seriously for the last 15 months or so.  PR of 3:30 (no jokes please!), but it was at the Lake Tahoe Marathon, which is hilly and at elevation.  Next year I'll be putting in more base (maxed out around 55mpw this year), which will hopefully help me improve quickly.  Any other suggestions are definitely welcome!

I'm also in for sub 3 at Boston in 2011

kcam

First of all, gosh, thanks for the notes of encouragement, Kahn, ken, Sreen Name 1 (if that is your real name).  Blush

I'll withhold placing my bet until I see you guys' running logs in April!  If I had to bet now, I'd bet all three of you hit sub-2:50 but then talk is cheap  .... show me the money (training)!

Are we there yet?

I'm also in for sub 3 at Boston in 2011

@bzaganjo - ur PR's indicate a definite sub 3 capability.. how many marathons have you run?.. I'm tempted to say you are sub 2:50 guy with the right build up. welcome aboard the PR train!!

@gilbert.. Chicago is supposed to have ideal weather next year! I imagine you will be running down Mich Ave with time to spare Smile

I'd like to join the Boston crowd as well.  I'm setting the initial goal at sub-2:50.  Sounds like I'll have a lot of company in this group!  I'll reassess the time goal in March after I see what I've managed for training and have a few tune up races under my belt.

A little background - I've been an off and on runner for many years, but have committed to being much more consistent over the past 18 months.  I've done better mileage since then, and have made some nice progress on my shorter times this year.  Managed a 2:58 and change last Spring in Providence, but was hoping for significantly better.  I had trained pretty well for that one, but I think I fell victim to warm weather and poor hydration / nutrition, although I also could have just been too aggressive on the pace.  I crashed pretty hard around mile 19-20.  I'm hoping to figure the hydration / nutrition out this time, and hopefully avoid my typical marathon crash.

Running Boston in memory of my son.  Want to help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Goals:

1. Run Boston for Matthew (< 2:40 if possible)
                              2. Run 5k < 16:00
                              3. Hold off father time for at least another year

I've got 15 minutes to go, but I'll give it a shot in the fall of '11, maybe in Philly...It would be nice to have an extra month (vs. an October marathon) to train.

I ran a 3:15:41 last month at Mohawk-Hudson, my 7th marathon, and I'd like to better that at Gansett come Spring '11....but I think I'll need at least most of 2011 to shave that kind of time off my PR.