Can't run - too much pain in my knee now (Read 722 times)

Now that was a bath...

Well I got up at 5AM, got dressed, stretched (which was painful) and left the house at a gentle run which I managed for about 1 minute as every step was agony. Heck even walking back was painful. I think at this point I probably have to admit that I have actually injured myself. Poo. I definitely suffered from the 'terrible toos' - training too hard, too fast, too long. Stupid me. Now what? I have to walk at least 7K today and tomorrow - I don't drive and my kids still need to go to school! Hopefully that won't make this problem even worse. Janell's advice of RICE springs to mind. Rest - not likely with four children, 7K's of walking and a four hour cleaning session at an early childhood centre to be done tonight. Ice - check Compression - will buy a bandage during my 7K walk Elevation - I'll try! I also thought that I would contact my local sports physio and see what they thought. It would be a good oportunity to mention the ITP and running too and I am desperate for someone to get me back running quickly. I am such a girl though. I actually cried on the way home just because I couldn't run. How long do you think I will be off the roads? Four weeks and four days before my 12K. This is really going to burn into my schedule. Claire xxx
  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
    derek

I was curious....which part of you knee is it that's hurting?

Derek

Now that was a bath...

Derek it's my left knee and it hurts on the outside edge. It's a stabbing pain at the side. Here's a picture... That's my pain - right there only it's the wrong leg, mine's the left. Claire xxx
          I've found that most of the stupid injuries I've gotten from overtraining can be worked out in a relatively short period of time... The one thing that's helped a lot is trying to run every OTHER day instead of every day.... If you do that, and keep your pace slower, you might find yourself feeling better quicker than you might think. Ice helps, too, as does stretching.... And if takes a week, LET it and try to do a little cycling or cross training.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Any chance the kids can walk themselves, or that you can borrow a bike for the occasion? Walking hurts a ton with ITBS! Black eye

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have had this random, shifting pain on my left leg for about the past week, too. Yesterday I did a long run and it really didn't bother much at all. But as the night wore on I started to get twinges and my leg felt generally a bit weak. This AM I was stumping around the house. It's a very odd pain...I can't really pinpoint where it's coming from...I don't think it's ITBS. It bothers me more when I bend my knee and put weight on it. The pain a few days ago was more along the side of my lower left leg, but now it seems more concentrated around the bottom edge of my knee. Any ideas what muscle(s) might be involved? I have had odd, traveling pains in my lower left leg ever since running on snow and ice over a week ago. I have new shoes, too, but they are the same model as my old ones and I had the pain a little before wearing the new shoes, too. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I hope your knee feels better really soon, Claire. Can you take Ibuprofen with your blood disorder? I've had very good results with good ole vitamin I and knee pain. Wingz and zoom-zoom: I don't think we can allow you both to use that avatar pic. The dualing 1K billboards are messing with my head. Especially when you post back-to-back like that. Can you flip a coin to see who has to change theirs please?

Runners run

Now that was a bath...

Mike, the Hemo said that I can take Ibuprofen if my platelets are above 100 and they are so I have been taking plenty of those since I got my results today. Just got back from the Doctor. I have an appointment at a Sports Physio/Rehab in three hours. Hopefully it will be good news. I just saw a runner on my way home and I felt so jealous that it wasn't me out there. Good news too - my referral and treatments (if necessary) at the Sport's Rehab are totally funded by the health system here! I'll take my running log and my shoes just in case they help. I'm crossing everything that whatever they say, it includes the words 'You don't have to stop running, just how you run.' I promise to be a good girl and do everything that they say. Claire xxx
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

Wingz and zoom-zoom: I don't think we can allow you both to use that avatar pic. The dualing 1K billboards are messing with my head. Especially when you post back-to-back like that. Can you flip a coin to see who has to change theirs please?
                    Mike - It's just advertising. Promise I'll take mine down when the new year starts up...

Roads were made for journeys...

Claire, I know exactly how you feel. I started running a year a half ago after being inactive and lazy for my entire life. I was starting from scratch to get into shape, since I'd never been there before. Like you, I showed an aptitude for it, and once I got down closer to a normal weight I progressed amazingly fast. Heck, in less than 4 months I was able to shave nearly 7 minutes off my 10K time. And then the sky started falling. Knee pain sent me to the orthopedist, and xrays showed that my miniscus is virtually gone (thanks to a surgery I had as a pre-teen, and probably helped along by being at least 50 pounds overweight for most of my life). I came home in tears after he told me that I could keep running but that this would likely be the last (and first!) marathon or even half I would ever run, as he doesn't see my knee standing up to the stress of running for much longer. I wallowed and cried and cursed and then figured I may as well go out with a bang. My main point is that I understand how it feels to get hurt just when you have found something you love and that you're good at. The idea of it is devastating, but do what the dr says, go to physical therapy if you can, rest, ice, etc., and go from there. Ironically, I haven't had any major pain since about a week after that appointment, and I am already planning my race schedule for next year. I just can't see giving up something that I love as much as running, that is so new and that I am actually good at........until there is really a reason to do it. Just because he thinks I might have to quit running soon doesn't mean it is defintely going to happen. "Soon" is a relative thing, and I may still have (more than?) 2-3 years in me. As far as your blood disorder and running, is there an ITP organization? I know that many disorders have support groups of some kind that are often in contact with doctors. You may be able to contact them to see what they think about ITP and long distance running. You could also document all your reactions/side effects/etc. on the off chance that someday someone else with ITP wants to run long distance. Then they could look back on you and say, "Hey, Claire did it!"
                      "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wingz and zoom-zoom: I don't think we can allow you both to use that avatar pic. The dualing 1K billboards are messing with my head. Especially when you post back-to-back like that. Can you flip a coin to see who has to change theirs please?
                        Is this better...? Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

derek

Derek it's my left knee and it hurts on the outside edge. It's a stabbing pain at the side. Here's a picture... That's my pain - right there only it's the wrong leg, mine's the left. Claire xxx
                          That's the exact pain I had started to get a cpuple weeks back that only showed up after I finsihed running. Initially it would show up about 1-2 hours after, but one time, it started the moment I stopped running and I had to actually limp home. I found that the pain was only there if I weren't mobile. E.g. after sitting for a while with my knee bent, or after standing for a while. If I were moving, my knee was fine. I took 2 days rest and it seems to have gone away. It hasn't come back as yet, but I haven't been doing much running because of yet another pain in the other leg. I know exactly how you feel about not being able to run.....I'm itching to get back out there and it's driving me nuts!

Derek