Help with jogging (Read 959 times)

Matt_Squires

I've been jogging now for about 8 months and I'm trying to get into better shape. I've come down from 280 to 216 atm and really need some advice on jogging. I've been really increasing my training the past couple of weeks and just above my right ancle is pretty sore and kind of hurts to jog on it. I use to jog on roads but I recently got a membership to a gym and have been addicted to a treadmill. I have the right shoes so I know that's not an issue. I stopped jogging on teusday in hopes that it would stop hurting but it seems to not want to go away Cry . Is there a certain stretch I can do to make it a little better? Any advice is REALLY appreciated. Thanks guys.
      First off - congratulations on the awesome weight loss! Second, it's probably good that you stopped for a bit to rest your ankle, the only things I would add would be to do RICE on your ankle and maybe share your log so that people can see what volume and intensity you are working at for perhaps better advice then I can give.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Matt_Squires

Ok I put my log on public. What is RICE? You mean just get some rice out of my pantry and put it on my ankle?
        db7

I think what Bonkin is going for here is: R-rest I-Iboprofen? C-cold E-elevation Although you can put some real rice in a pillow case and put it in the microwave for 3-4 min and use it for a heat pack. Works very well. Never goes bad. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Matt_Squires

Well I don't elevate the treadmill I leave it at 0 elevation. Are you're talking about resting my ankle and elevating it?
            db7

I don't want to step on his reply, but I think that is what he meant. If not, I would go with the rest and elevation. Are you hurting on the inside of your ankle, just below the "ball" on your leg? Could be tendon. Do you have any swelling? Hurt to touch it? Could be overuse or just an injury. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Matt_Squires

It's not swelling at all. It feels like I just pulled something and it's sore. I can still walk, that's no problem. It's just when I start to jog is when it hurts. The place where it hurts is below my calf muscle but a little above my ankle.
                db7

If its directly in the back, it s your achilles tendon(sp?) Be very careful. You dont want trouble there. Rest is key. Start back slow and stretch very well before your runs. Calf stretches and slow warm ups would be good. Keep us updated on your progress. DB

Matt_Squires

Awesome. Thanks so much man I greatly appreciate it. I'm gonna give myself a full week and start back on teusday.
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

The I in RICE is for ice. It helps reduce swelling and inflammation especially with a new injury. Rest - take a few days off Ice - 20 minutes on (with a cloth between the ice and your skin so you don't get frostbite!) Compression - use an ace wrap Elevation - that means put the ankle above the level of your heart. IE, lie on a couch with your foot up on a couple of pillows. While you're icing it (20 minutes at a time) is a great time to do this... If it's not feeling significantly better in 3 days, go get it checked out. Good luck!

Roads were made for journeys...

sheil2009

21:00

Also make sure you dont ice your ankle more than 20 minutes, or it may actually increase swelling, so says my schools sports doctors
                        Matt_Squires

Thanks for all the help guys!! How do you record strength training on your workout sheet?
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

There's an optioin in the drop-down box called "new strength training" where you can put in your exercises, sets, and reps..

Roads were made for journeys...

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I've been really increasing my training the past couple of weeks...
                              This is almost certainly why you're starting to hurt. Your body is telling you that you've increased too much too fast. You may be feeling like you're ready for more intensity, because your aerobic fitness and your muscle tone have improved a lot. But keep in mind that your joints are much slower to improve. You need to be patient and let them catch up.
                              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                                You might want to do some walking till you start feeling better. modal (who does not discount walking)

Vim