Gu/gel (Read 295 times)

dirtroadrunner

I know I'm not there yet as far as needing them, but when are they most useful and what are some good brands?

Cool Jump Suit

I use Gu and PowerGel from time to time.  I like them both.  As far as when they are useful though.........I just take when needed.  The other day I ran a half and just had a sip of water during the race.  On the car ride home though I had 3 Gu's.  Go figure.Confused

So bittersweet,
      This tragedy
      Won't ask for absolution;
      This melody,
      Inside of me,
      Still searches for solution.
      A twist of faith,
      A change of heart
      Cures my infatuation.
      A broken heart, 
      Provides the spark
      For my determination.

npaden

I'm a month or so away from needing to incorporate them into my training schedule.   Not because I need them on my training runs, but because I need to practice using them for my marathon.  I didn't use any during either of my half marathons and I've gotten in a 16 mile training run before without using them, but I think I should plan on using some during the marathon.

I'm curious to try gummies or similar things instead of the gu and gel though.   Just sounds more appealing, but I have zero experience one way or the other.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

I like the SiS gels. No need for water to take them and they taste OK.

Turbolegs

I started with Powergels and used them for a while before i found the GU gels which i simply love. Especially the Strawberry / Banana flavor. Some of my more seasoned runner friends are training to do away with gels completely and run the entire marathon just on sports drinks available at the aid stations. I guess you need to experiment a fair bit to figure out what works for you best. One of the important things that you will need to toy around with if you do take gels .. is to figure out when to take them. That takes a fair bit of experimentation. In running a marathon, I look at the distances between 31-32 kms as the proverbial wall risk territory so time my gels for 3-4 km before that and work backwards. So usually what i end up doing is 1 gel at 12km, 1 at 20km, 1 at 28km and i keep a spare gel with me in case i feel i will need it during the last 5kms of the race.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

meaghansketch

I don't use them much in training but do use them in races.  One every hour is a good rule of thumb for me, of course adjusting that to the length of the race and where the water stops are.  You would want to use them a couple times in training if you do plan to use them during a race, just to get used to them and see how well you tolerate them.  I really like the Powerbar brand-- Tangerine and green apple are my favorites.  They both have caffeine, which is a plus for me but can be a negative if you don't tolerate it well.

Half Fanatic #846

I kept reading this as "Google".

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I also like the PowerBar brand. It is very fluid and slides down very easily. The Gu is so thick it takes a lot of effort for me to get it down, so I don't really like it (but will sometimes take it if they're giving it out during the race). But everyone is different, so try a few different ones and see what works for you.

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

Christirei

Gu is used during most races, they must have a good gig with race directors or something. But I don't actually like the Gu brand very much. I prefer the products from Hammer nutrition, especially their chocolate "gel" it tastes like chocolate frosting
                    bluerun

Super B****

The first one I ever tried was Hammer gel -- and when my extremely finicky stomach didn't complain, I didn't bother to try anything else.  The flavors aren't that bad, though the gooey texture does kind of gross me out.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Peanut Butter Gu - yum!

mta: Gels are not created equal. Some use a lot more simple sugar than others. Hammer and Gu brands are lower in sugar content and have more complex carbs. Just something to think about.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

xor

And some flavors (from pretty much all brands these days) will have caffeine and others won't.  Definitely check that.  Clif's gels take that to another level too... some flavors have no caffeine, some have a little, and then their "turbo" flavors have a lot.  FWIW, if a brand has a coffee-like flavor, it'll always have caffeine.

Also, consistency varies a lot.  This matters to me more in the winter.  Anyway, the hammer products are "thinner" whereas gu is thick.

Remember to drink water with your gels.  Not sportsdrink.

BTW, "need" is a tricky thing.  Gels are handy for the calories, but there's all kinds of ways to get calories.

Kalsarikännit

Gu is used during most races, they must have a good gig with race directors or something. But I don't actually like the Gu brand very much. I prefer the products from Hammer nutrition, especially their chocolate "gel" it tastes like chocolate frosting

Trail races are primarily sponsored by Hammer, which means Heed to drink (ick) and their gels which are ok (the raspberry tastes like jam).  Their gel packaging seems much bigger than other brands.

Clif shot gels have a litter leash, so the ground doesn't become covered in gel tops. I wish they would let other companies use this idea.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Imminent Catastrophe

Another thumbs up for Hammer. I like their products, even Heed, because it's not too sweet. Really sweet gels make me gag.

Having said that, I don't use gels in a marathon, I generally just take the sportsdrink that they offer, or if it's nasty (Ultima) I'll carry a bottle of my own concentrated drink and use it with the water at aid stations.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Clif shot gels have a litter leash, so the ground doesn't become covered in gel tops. I wish they would let other companies use this idea.

Their litter leash is brilliant.  Reminds me of how the stay put tabs on aluminum cans eliminated the pull tab litter.

Hopefully cliff shot will put some thought into their shot blok packaging also.  Trying to open one with sweaty hands and carrying a water bottle is not easy.