Paleo (Read 1215 times)

What is everyones take on a Paleo lifestyle as a runner? I was injured doing crossfit about a month ago, but now since I am going to just be running as my new "lifestyle" change I was wondering any advice. I obviously want to lose some weight, but don't know if cutting out grains would hinder my performance. Thanks for any help. God Bless.

Being on a higher level than imaginable to the human race...

Dom, I do not know anything about the Paleo diet, but am confident that cutting out grains is a terrible idea for the runner. I think that dieting and training is a bad mix and can lead to injury.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet  (WFS)

Paleo really isn't a diet. It is a lifestyle change. It is pretty big with crossfit and crossfit endurance, but wanted opinions from members on here. Thank your for your advice.

MrH

There is no magic in one diet over another.

Of course it depends on how exactly you define one diet versus another, but for general health and well being, looking at measures of obesity, life expectancy, you might conclude that the typical Japanese diet (with a heavy emphasis on rice) gives better results than the typical American diet which is heavy on protein.

Now you might argue that's not a complete picture or fair comparison, but the argument that simply because our ancestors didn't eat grains or beans, then we shouldn't, seems silly.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet  (WFS)

Paleo really isn't a diet. It is a lifestyle change. It is pretty big with crossfit and crossfit endurance, but wanted opinions from members on here. Thank your for your advice.

You might want to get a hold of the book "Paleo Diet for Athletes". I have it and had a tough time following the plan so I just put it back on the shelf and will pick it up again when I feel like investing more time to understanding it.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

dennrunner

...but the argument that simply because our ancestors didn't eat grains or beans, then we shouldn't, seems silly.

+1

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Paleo really isn't a diet.

Um. Define: diet.

There is no magic in one diet over another.

Of course it depends on how exactly you define one diet versus another, but for general health and well being, looking at measures of obesity, life expectancy, you might conclude that the typical Japanese diet (with a heavy emphasis on rice) gives better results than the typical American diet which is heavy on protein.

It also appears that the Asian countries diet use protien (fish, meat etc.) to supplement a diet consisting largely of vegetables and rice where as Americans seem to do just the opposite. Lots of meats, starch and dairy with very little vegetables or rice.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

All I am saying is...how can any food processed by humans be healthier than an all natural diet that consists of Fruits, Veg, Meats, Nuts, etc? However, I do not know if consuming grains and processed foods will benefit my performance. I know I can always experiment, but was wondering if anyone has experience doing paleo like I do and switch to a more "normal" American lifestyle change.

All I am saying is...how can any food processed by humans be healthier than an all natural diet that consists of Fruits, Veg, Meats, Nuts, etc?

How can processed antibiotics be more effective than natural mold?  It's a false dichotomy.

I think the more important question is: what do you want your change in diet to achieve for you?

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                      Emil Zatopek

Travis8880

Real training and dieting do not go together.  You need to fuel your engine.  Variety is best.

I trained for a 30K with two women trying the paleo thing.  They bonked every long run.  You can't limit your food intake and expect maximum results from training.

How can processed antibiotics be more effective than natural mold?  It's a false dichotomy.

I think the more important question is: what do you want your change in diet to achieve for you?

"Some animals are clearly adapted to grain consumption. Birds, rodents, and some insects can deal with the anti-nutrients. Humans, however, cannot. Perhaps if grains represented a significant portion of our ancestral dietary history, things might be a bit different. Some of us can digest dairy, and we’ve got the amylase enzyme present in our saliva to break down starches if need be, but we simply do not have the wiring necessary to mitigate the harmful effects of lectins, gluten, and phytate."

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/#ixzz1kUOL7qkN

Real training and dieting do not go together.  You need to fuel your engine.  Variety is best.

I trained for a 30K with two women trying the paleo thing.  They bonked every long run.  You can't limit your food intake and expect maximum results from training.

Thanks for the information. The only problem that scares me to go back to a more variety of food intake is how my body is not use to processing the grains and such. I feel like I would need to start in small doses so my body doesn't go crazy if I decide to do it.

I don't understand the need to make severe changes to a diet for weight loss such as removing a while food group.  What is wrong with the "everything in moderation and sufficient exercise" diet?

Why is it sideways?

This is more fun than the politics thread!