What do you feed your four-legged running buddy? (Read 134 times)

Latent Runner

That is probably beautiful to watch him do it, is it kind of like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opl5o2p7QBA , I just grabbed a video after typing American Saddlebred slow trot

I cannot view the video here at work; I'll check it when I get home and report back.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

K

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Latent Runner

I just had a chance to look at the video and yup, same basic idea.  The difference here is that this particular horse in our barn does that trot at maybe a quarter of the forward momentum of the horse in the video, I mean, I can literally be walking and he'll be keeping pace with me while at a trot.

I'm thinking I should have my son video him doing it; it's a gait I don't believe I've ever seen before.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
        FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That would be cool, it could also be because he is doing so much more naturally (without a rider) while the one in video is being "told" to by the rider on him.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

NHLA

Stella & Chewy's  dandy lamb dinner & rotate in beef & deer.  This is an all raw diet.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The beef & deer or both? My ole girl Molly could handle raw food like nobody's business, but for some reason Rocky's stomach is a little too sensitive.

Stella & Chewy's  dandy lamb dinner & rotate in beef & deer.  This is an all raw diet.

PRs

NHLA

Sorry beef or deer. Check out their web site. They have some veggies mixed in. They sell it freeze dried or frozen.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Cool, will do.

Sorry beef or deer. Check out their web site. They have some veggies mixed in. They sell it freeze dried or frozen.

PRs

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

In spite of the recalls, I have stuck with feeding California Naturals Grain Free (rotating through the proteins) and Evo Red Meat Grain Free.  The recalls were for possible salmonella contamination, and my feeling on this was that neither of my dogs nor anyone in my household has a compromised immune system.  And my dogs also get as a treat, raw chicken necks or eggs, which could also have salmonella.  And both my dogs have done well on these foods throughout the recalls.  I am not paranoid about salmonella, having seen the other kinds of things my dogs are willing to eat and not get sick from.

My main running partner is my German shepherd.  He is 28" tall at the shoulders and weighs just under 80 pounds.  He typically runs 10 - 12 miles, 6 days a week.  He gets one cup of kibble in the morning with chicken stock, another cup of the same for lunch, and for dinner he gets 8 ounces of cooked chicken and two scrambled eggs.  And of course treats through the day, and I make those myself so I don't know how many calories they have.

Now, that being said, opening up the can of worms that is "how should I feed my dog?" is a bad idea.  You will get a dozen different opinions but what it basically boils down to is how your dog is performing.  How is his coat, his eyes, his weight?  Is he a poop machine or does he only go a couple times a day?  That's all that matters in the long run.  The feeding regime I stick with is the one that is working for my dogs.

I don't increase my feeding amount with increased mileage unless I notice a drop in weight.  My dogs are of a breed prone to hip dysplasia and keeping them lean is important.  My dog could weigh an additional ten pounds and still look okay, but it is healthier for his joints to be leaner.

Leah, mother of dogs

BeeRunB

I feed my hippo grass and water plants. If I deviate, he gets angry and difficult to run with.

And believe me when I say this: you don't want a hippo anger-crapping on the rug.