The new log is here! (Read 7547 times)

Have you thought about "FAQ" for the new log? Two things I noticed immediately: Colors in the bar graph are displayed differently, and to my eyes at least, they are horrible. Some colors have changed from what I had before, so that now with the "eyestrain" display two colors which were different are now almost indistinguishable. Do we have control over how our colors are displayed? Before, multiple run entries for the same day seemed haphazardly/randomly ordered, so that they often were not in time sequence. With the new log, the problem is still there, but seems to be worse. This, for me, is a terrible bug. Is there a way to set entries up with earliest runs on the bottom of the bar?
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... Before, multiple run entries for the same day seemed haphazardly/randomly ordered, so that they often were not in time sequence. With the new log, the problem is still there, but seems to be worse.
      I only had this problem in the first several days of the new year -- Eric said he fixed it. He also implied I did something to cause it, but I never understood what I did (or allegedly did). http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/62dee7cf856d43b8b719ad2d101f9f8f#focus

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I only had this problem in the first several days of the new year -- Eric said he fixed it. He also implied I did something to cause it
        Well, I sure don't get it (yet)... My 3 entries for Dec 11 are ordered correctly (bottom to top), but the 3 entries for Dec 16th are backwards (times are 8:45 AM, 9:30 AM, and 4:45 PM, but they're ordered from top to bottom.) Of the days from Dec 17 to Dec 24, 7 have different run types, and of those 6 are backwards, with only one (Dec 20) being in the proper time sequence from bottom to top. Beats me. If it gets fixed, maybe I'll start logging again.
        Tony Evans

Do you have the "time of day" column showing in your workout list. If not then look for the customise link at the the top right of the work out list, you can then add and remove columns. Make sure that the Time of day column is displayed. That might then help to see what the problem is. You could also try sorting and re-sorting the workout list by clicking on the Date column heading. It might also be worth using a 24 hour clock format when inputting time of day, though I see that Eric converts the AM/PM input.
          eric :)

Well, I sure don't get it (yet)... My 3 entries for Dec 11 are ordered correctly (bottom to top), but the 3 entries for Dec 16th are backwards (times are 8:45 AM, 9:30 AM, and 4:45 PM, but they're ordered from top to bottom.) Of the days from Dec 17 to Dec 24, 7 have different run types, and of those 6 are backwards, with only one (Dec 20) being in the proper time sequence from bottom to top. Beats me. If it gets fixed, maybe I'll start logging again.
            slowgino, In my experience, positive encouragements are more effective in getting what you want, especially when it comes to a product that I spend all my free time on and do not expect you to pay for its use. As I stated in this thread, I rewrote much of the log and therefore expected bugs. I spent my entire vacation last week responding to issues that came up after the roll out. Now that I am back to work, I don't have as much time and I'm doing my best. Statements like "If it gets fixed, maybe I'll start logging again." do not motivate me to look into your problems any quicker. To answer your questions, you can use the old graphing style by going to Options -> My Log Preferences and select "Graph style", which may reduce your "eyestrains". If I understand you correctly, you were asking about why the workouts on the graph aren't ordered by time of day. AmoresPerros' problem was related to the workout list. I have indeed fixed AmoresPerros' problem and your workout list is displayed properly. The problem of the graph still exists and cannot be fixed because I use a commercial graphing package. It does not allow ordering within each stack. As I stated in other posts, my time can be better spent in adding features than to write my own graphing code. And yes, I know the FAQ is out dated for the new log. I need to prioritize the tasks. I'm sure users will prefer that I fix problems with the log than to spend time rewriting the FAQ at this point. Perhaps you will volunteer to write a new FAQ for us? eric :-)
            irunslow

Eric, I for one am very happy you spend the time you do with this project. It is an awesome place to go to log activities and I think that more runners then not would agree with me. You have done a great job! Keep up the good work Big grin
                I spent my entire vacation last week responding to issues that came up after the roll out. Now that I am back to work, I don't have as much time and I'm doing my best.
                Eric, I apologize for that remark I made. I know you must have been working super hard, with long hours on this project (been there... done that...) I have a feeling I'll really like some of the new capabilities with the log... It'll just take trying a few things out over time.
                To answer your questions, you can use the old graphing style by going to Options -> My Log Preferences and select "Graph style", which may reduce your "eyestrains".
                Yes, thanks, I'd just discovered that and was happy to find it.
                The problem of the graph still exists and cannot be fixed because I use a commercial graphing package. It does not allow ordering within each stack.
                Ok, I can understand that. I'll just live with it. Thanks for the work you've done.

jules2

Eric, there might be the odd glitch but thats to be expected, what really counts is the ethos behind the site and the amount of work you put in, thank you. Theres free beer waiting for you if you ever come to the UK.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

mikeymike

Eric, after a few weeks of use I'm very impressed with the new log. So many little things that are too numerous to name. I'm loving the ability to add an ad hoc route while logging a run instead of having to add the the new route first--I know you had that one in mind for a long time. I just remembered it was there and used it today for the first time. Especially in the winter when road snow/ice/wind conditions sometimes force me to make a route change on the fly, this is nice. Anyway, I hope you get to take a break from this place sometime soon, you deserve it. Things are working pretty well now and there will always be bugs to fix and feature requests to prioritize. Great job!

Runners run

Eric, I'm loving the ability to add an ad hoc route while logging a run instead of having to add the the new route first--. I just remembered it was there and used it today for the first time. Especially in the winter when road snow/ice/wind conditions sometimes force me to make a route change on the fly, this is nice.
                      What's this you speak of MIke? I may be missing something.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

mikeymike

What's this you speak of MIke? I may be missing something.
                        Okay like today. I ran a route that was basically my "Van Norden 8" route but with an extra little 2.4 mle loop in the middle to make it 10.7 miles, not 8.3. So normally where I'd select "Van Norden 8" and just change the mileage from 8.3 to 10.7 or just log it as "Random Route" instead I over wrote the name and called it "Van Norden 11" and put in the distance as 10.7. Now there's a saved course in my course list called "Van Norden 11". Then I actually went back in and searched for all the runs on "Van Norden 8" that were 10.7 miles and changed the route to the new route. A bit anal, I know, but I like when all the runs on a certain route are the same distance. So going forward I think my rule of thumb will be if I run a route I'm unlikely to ever run again, I'll continue to use "Random Route." But if it's a route I want to run again, I'll just add it on the fly like I did today.

Runners run

I see how this could work in a pinch. I do something very similar myself is why I asked. When I add on something like you did, whether on the fly or preplanned, I make a copy of the map and edit the points of the copy to include an add-on road, loop or turnaround point, change the name of the course and save it as a new one. That's the reason I now have several McCurdy or Union loops of varying distances. Seeing how you labeled courses also helped me simplify how I differentiated them. Thanks. *mta - Thanks eric! I am liking everything about the new log, especially the "Follow Road" checkbox thingy on the mapping and the widgets, etc. It's all good. Donation coming soon...

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Oh Mighty Wing

And yes, I know the FAQ is out dated for the new log. I need to prioritize the tasks. I'm sure users will prefer that I fix problems with the log than to spend time rewriting the FAQ at this point. Perhaps you will volunteer to write a new FAQ for us?
                            Eric, would you really like help with this? I'd be more than happy to help you out!
                            ohorgmo

Just moved to the source from runnersworld.com. This is just great! I'll be sure to donate soon.
                              eric :)

Eric, would you really like help with this? I'd be more than happy to help you out!
                                Shannon, If you're volunteering, then yes! I could always use help to make this place easier to use and prettier Big grin Send me an email and we'll talk! eric :-)