Leg injury (Read 813 times)

jennalba23

Can any runner out there please help me? I just got the OK from my doctor to start running again after my c-section delivery. I began walking at first then graduated to running about 2 miles but at a very slow place...5 miles an hour on the treadmill. I did this for 2 days and on the third day I started to notice this stinging pain on the inside of my left leg right below the knee but located more on the inside of the leg than the outside. What is this pain??!!! I've read a bunch of different things but thought I would throw this out there to you more experienced runners. I should note that I've been running since high school and ran cross country in junior college so I'm not a total newbie. On the other hand, anxious to lose my pregnancy weight I may have pushed myself a little too hard hence the leg injury. Is this just due to inactivity for so long, or is it something more serious?? Thanks so much to anyone who can help...I'm so anxious to get back to my runs. Undecided Undecided Undecided
    Scout7

Hard to say. Could be your muscles trying to get back into it. Take a day off, see if it goes away, then try to come back slower.
        Congrats on your having a new baby! I suggest you rather walk more instead of running very slowly. Sometime, running unusually slow might give you problem especially when you are just started back which your muscle is not quite ready for it. Take a day off as scout7 suggested may help.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Congrats on the new little life. I found excersie very difficult on any muscles on the inside of my legs after both of my C-sections. I was working with a trainer at the Y and was in total denial about my lack of muscular fitness. So my trainer urged me to go ahead try it "tuff chick." I couldn't do move weights at all on the inner thigh machine. Lesson learned. Come back slowly, I know it sucks but it will pay dividends in the end. Swimming is good, light weights (doctor permitting). I can't remember when they let me start lifting again, I think it was a month or two after I was cleared to run/walk. Good luck, gets some sleep...Ha, ha, ha!
          Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
          jennalba23

Hard to say. Could be your muscles trying to get back into it. Take a day off, see if it goes away, then try to come back slower.
            Thanks. I tried taking off several days...in fact I haven't run since it happened which was last Friday and it seems like each day the pain gets worse just walking on it. I'm stumped.
            jennalba23

Congrats on your having a new baby! I suggest you rather walk more instead of running very slowly. Sometime, running unusually slow might give you problem especially when you are just started back which your muscle is not quite ready for it. Take a day off as scout7 suggested may help.
              I tried that...not getting better. Sad
              jennalba23

Congrats on the new little life. I found excersie very difficult on any muscles on the inside of my legs after both of my C-sections. I was working with a trainer at the Y and was in total denial about my lack of muscular fitness. So my trainer urged me to go ahead try it "tuff chick." I couldn't do move weights at all on the inner thigh machine. Lesson learned. Come back slowly, I know it sucks but it will pay dividends in the end. Swimming is good, light weights (doctor permitting). I can't remember when they let me start lifting again, I think it was a month or two after I was cleared to run/walk. Good luck, gets some sleep...Ha, ha, ha!
                Thanks for the advice. I am really hoping the pain goes away if I continue to stay off of it. Lifting weights doesn't seem to be a problem at all...of course they're only 5lb free weights! I'm trying to get some sleep. My son is 7 weeks old so it's difficult altho he did do a 5 hour stretch the other night!!
                  If it's on the inside of your shin next to the bone, it may be medial tibial stress syndrome (MTSS), most likely a result of too-much-too-soon. This can take anywhere from three weeks to four months to completely heal, during which time you should rest or cross-train. Once the symptoms are completely gone, start working your way back very slowly. If the pain is highly localized and seems to go "around" the tibia (as opposed to down the leg), it may be a stress fracture; either way the treatment is usually quite similar.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Your joints do loosen up during pregnancy; it takes a while for that to change back to normal. Listen to your body and give yourself time to heal. Your nutrient stores are depleted from being pregnant and I'm sure you are a bit sleep deprived so you probably don't recover as quick either. Post natal yoga is also really good for helping with building back up your core strength. Shiva Rea has a really good one I used after my second c/s; it includes modifications for moms with c/s. Good luck! Slow down and you'll be fine. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Jamie PT

Hi, and congrats on being a new mom! I'm a physical therapist. It sounds like you have what's called pes anserine bursitis (also called pes anserinus bursitis). There is a bursa on the inner part of your knee that covers where 3 tendons attach. Possibly because of the extra pregnancy weight it made the bursa irritable. Ice often, stretch your quads, hams and gastrocs, and cross your fingers. Let the irritation calm down...don't keep poking on it either! There is no great treatment for it. Google the term and see if it matches your pain! Jamie, PT