Seasonal allergies (Read 428 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone else deal with this? I take Allegra year-round, since there is always something that sets me off, but Spring is the worst. Finally our weather improves, but then the pollen kicks into high gear. Even the Allegra can't control my symptoms fully. What things are you allergic to? I've never been tested, but there are definitely some tree pollens that make life miserable. Soon we will have weeks of everything coated in yellow dust. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

If you take allegra year-round, you may want to ask your doc about singulair and a nasal steroid such as flonase. Especially if the allegra does not handle all your symptoms.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You know, I was actually thinking about asking to try Singulair. My mom just started it, as she has bad asthma and allergies. My asthma is not nearly as bad as hers (I was never a smoker), but I think it would be worth a try. How would Flonase comare to Nasacort AQ? I LOVED that stuff, but it was way $$, even with ins. The Allegra is much cheaper ($5/month instead of $40/month for the nasal spray) and helps my eczema (which started around my eyes when I started running...sweat seemed to set things off).

~ Sarah Kay

I typically take Reactine or sometimes Claritin. I echo the comments about nasal steroids, Flonase being my first choice. I usually take them in the early Spring, and again in the late summer/early fall. This year Spring is late in coming around these parts. Costs are irrelevant. I find it hard to function normally without them during the worst of the season. If you suffer from ragweed/hayfever, grass, tree or pollen allergies, these are likely some of your best bets. Of course, we have universal health care... maybe you can plug your dr for some samples? Those drug reps love to give them out.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I should ask my PCP if there's any way to see what nasal steroids might be cheaper than the Nasacort. If I could find one that was half the price it would be worth it just to get through June. k

~ Sarah Kay

The last time I had a issues, I was given Rhinocort. It worked well, but a side effect was I seemed to have a hard time sleeping after using it.

Vim