I hate the dreadmill (Read 890 times)

Village people

The mill can be total misery...I try to use it for interval/progressive workouts (speed or hill) or as a warm up/cool down for a weight/core session (2 miles on either side). Very occasionally the weather gets so bad outside that I have done long runs on the mill (15+)...and for those, I just need to get my head right before i get on the blessed thing; use it as a mindfulness meditation on misery, or some nonsense like that.

95% of my runs are in the treadmill due to parenting obligations. 

For me, running outside> treadmill> not running at all.  You do what you have to do.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

I'm not a fan of running outside alone in the dark, so I treadmill it a lot myself.  I have built-in speakers on my treadmill, so I just hook my iPod and go.  However, if it's going to be a run longer than 10-11 miles, then I try to make sure I have a movie or a TV show to watch.  Whatever helps get the miles in.

Oh roo roooo!

I find that using a tiny bit of incline (~1% for me) helps with the form issue (not because of any bullshit windresistance thing, lets not comet that).  Also, I find it helps to hit buttons every once in a while.  More incline, less incline, faster, slower.  Not a lot , just a little.  You dont run like a metronome outside.

This, in spades.  I really really loathe being on the treadmill also, but a couple years ago, my brother gifted me w/several months w/a coach, and she would throw in stationary bike, elliptical and treadmill workouts.  I did NOT hate these workouts when I did them for her, as she made them involve a lot of variation in pace and intensity.  The time passed a lot more quickly, even if the scenery remained boring...so now, whenever I find I absolutely can't run outside and have to use one of these other options, I do the same, putting in a short steep hill, a long slow hill, some easy "coasting" time, a faster flat section, etc., just like what I'd encounter outside.  I think it really helps.

The cardio area at my gym is upstairs, overlooking a huge, open gym area where they hold boot camp-type classes. There's a class every weekday morning during the time I'm running, so if I don't run with my running partner outside, I can watch that class for an hour while on the treadmill. It really helps pass the time, and as a bonus, I can see how the equipment is used.

delicate flower

I don't mind the treadmill.  While running outside is always my first option, I feel I get better workouts on the treadmill than I would in bad weather.  It's what works for me.  I've run about 500 of my 2100 miles this year on a treadmill.  Varying the inclines and speeds definitely help fight the boredom, but I can also go 15 miles at a steady pace without much of a problem.  Music and a TV also help. 

8-10 miles of speedwork on a treadmill seem to go by in a snap.            

<3

I don't mind the treadmill.  While running outside is always my first option, I feel I get better workouts on the treadmill than I would in bad weather.  It's what works for me.  I've run about 500 of my 2100 miles this year on a treadmill.  Varying the inclines and speeds definitely help fight the boredom, but I can also go 15 miles at a steady pace without much of a problem.  Music and a TV also help. 

Agreed!!

Yes! I'm always amazed by this. I don't like doing easy runs on the treadmill, but tempos and intervals are always pretty fun, and they go by very quickly. I'm actually looking forward to doing a 40 minute tempo on the treadmill later this week. 

smarterblonde

IronSnatch

While running outside is optimal, the dreadmill is a very useful tool.

As DoppleBock stated above, if it is important to you, you will find a way to get it done. I have run hours at a time on a TM. I really have to psyche myself up for it. I take a very short break every half-hour and make sure that I have either good music or a good movie to watch.

While TM running sicks, the feeling of satisfaction I get when it is over trumps the feeling of not having run at all.

It gets better - you will get used to it over time.

I last ran on a treadmill in Taiwan in 2011. I guess most people at this hotel usually hold onto the bars and walk on it but I was trying to do a 16km/h pace because the air was so polluted that I couldn't run >.75 miles outside without doubling over to cough and suck wind for about 5 minutes. Apparently there was no ground wire on the treadmill so it started acting like a Van de Graaff generator and I wasn't shorted to the frame. It sparked to me which was startling enough that I lost my balance and got shot off the back.

I say that I hate treadmills, but I guess that in reality I only hate half-assed electrical work.

jfa

Yes, a necessary evil.

In the northeast this time of year, as many know, it's dark by 4:30 pm. So, onto the treadmill I go.

Yesterday's 15 mile gym treadmill run was spent experimenting with using the ipad while running. I was so excited to be able to play online chess while running ( makes the time go by quickly). Now, if I can just figure out a way to combine sex and eating while on the treadmill, I'll really be onto something good.

Village people

Yes, a necessary evil.

In the northeast this time of year, as many know, it's dark by 4:30 pm. So, onto the treadmill I go.

Yesterday's 15 mile gym treadmill run was spent experimenting with using the ipad while running. I was so excited to be able to play online chess while running ( makes the time go by quickly). Now, if I can just figure out a way to combine sex and eating while on the treadmill, I'll really be onto something good.

I use my ipad, a lot. I can kind of play solitaire and read (large print). Mostly, I watch youtube videos, that keeps me amused for awhile. Playing with the buttons, speed or incline, can make the time go by faster. 

jfa

On easy runs, I'll break things up by combining strength training with running.

I'll run a mile, go do a couple sets of exercises. Rinse and repeat.

doctorjen

I feel sort of guilty for not hating my treadmill.  I get the sense that real runners are supposed to be like postal workers "neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night ..."  I don't like to run outside alone in the dark + cold.  I don't mind the dark when it's not cold as much, for some reason.  So in the winter I do a lot of treadmill miles.  I have my TV in front of the treadmill, and I usually pick out a TV series to work through, and a good movie for a longer run. 

The longest I've gone on the treadmill was 18 miles, with 14 at goal MP, and I will admit to getting a little goofy by the end of that!  I'd prefer every run to be outside with a friend or several, or outside alone in decent weather, but I don't mind treadmilling it.  I do have a home treadmill, though, I'd feel less positive about it if I was fighting with a gym treadmill.  Sometimes I need to be close to the phone and able to take off within minutes if I'm on call, so the treadmill has saved multiple important runs I wouldn't have been able to do outside, too.  I try to do all my long runs outside when marathon training, regardless of the weather, though, with an occasional treadmill one thrown in if I'm on call.

delicate flower

I feel sort of guilty for not hating my treadmill.  I get the sense that real runners are supposed to be like postal workers "neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night ..." 

I've thought that too but then remind myself that my race results and progress indicate I'm doing just fine.

<3

Feeling the growl again

I feel sort of guilty for not hating my treadmill.  I get the sense that real runners are supposed to be like postal workers "neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night ..."  I don't like to run outside alone in the dark + cold.  I don't mind the dark when it's not cold as much, for some reason.  So in the winter I do a lot of treadmill miles.  I have my TV in front of the treadmill, and I usually pick out a TV series to work through, and a good movie for a longer run. 

The longest I've gone on the treadmill was 18 miles, with 14 at goal MP, and I will admit to getting a little goofy by the end of that!  I'd prefer every run to be outside with a friend or several, or outside alone in decent weather, but I don't mind treadmilling it.  I do have a home treadmill, though, I'd feel less positive about it if I was fighting with a gym treadmill.  Sometimes I need to be close to the phone and able to take off within minutes if I'm on call, so the treadmill has saved multiple important runs I wouldn't have been able to do outside, too.  I try to do all my long runs outside when marathon training, regardless of the weather, though, with an occasional treadmill one thrown in if I'm on call.

I can still drop a 34min 10k on any givenSunday so I hope I am considered a real runner.

I think real runners find a way to get the running in even when it is hard or their is a convenient excuse.  Be it rain, snow, hail, or not wanting CPS called on you for leaving small children unattended while you go for a run.  I don't really feel bad for using my treadmill.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills