2015 sub 20 5k (Read 379 times)

20:05 on a slightly short 5k this morning!

Dipped into some too fast times at the start and over the first two kms, but mostly I've been feeling a deep down tiredness in quads and hamstrings for the last three weeks and I haven't been able to shake it. This kicked in really hard by km 3 on this one and I just could not keep the pace sub 4:00.

I'll take a couple of days off and go back to spacing out the qualities. (Instead of the Daniel's back-to-back's).

I had also run one interval session at speeds closer to rep pace and I never quite got that feeling of speed back.

Maybe this is some good long-term conditioning but it certainly didn't leave me in good shape for a 5k.

Beautiful race though, if anyone lives around Ottawa I highly recommend the Run Ottawa Free 5ks (first Saturday of the month):

http://www.runottawa.ca/races-and-events/run-ottawa-series/free-saturday-5k-series/

SMART Approach

I have a goal 10K next weekend but since I am feeling fit after a 41:55 10K 2 weeks ago I decided to do a 5K today as temps were a cool and low 50s. Perfect.

I knocked out a 19:47 with splits of 6:30, 6:37, 6:22 and hard finish. I actually misjudged finish line and left some sprint distance on the road. I felt strong at finish. The course appeared to be a bit short according to participants. My Garmin was 3.07 another was 3.06. It was chipped timed and labeled a 5K so I am chalking it up as my first sub 20 since 2006. My weight is also up about 5-6 lbs from 2006 so I feel good about this accomplishment.

I actually feel I had 5-10 sec better in me if I would have judged finish and also if I had someone ahead of me to catch. My HR mile splits were lower than ever as was my avg HR for race. I thing this means I am fit but don't have the running speed or leg speed probably from a lack of speed work. I do very little.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kcam

Nice racing Andrew and Tchuck.  You guys are getting fit.  Keep it going.

Cyberic

Andrew, those back to backs kinda killed me too. What I'd like to know is were they beneficial?

20:05... that must be encouraging. You're pretty much there...

Tchuck, that's great! I wouldn't give the course length a second thought. Were there sharp turns? Turns under trees? Hairpin out and backs? Maybe it was the Garmins that did not measure correctly. If not, I still wouldn't care. If a course is certified, I don't second guess its validity.

kcam

19:26 at this morning's 5k road race.  Definitely on the improve.  Might start thinking of a sub-19 by the end of August but everything would have to go just right.

Cyberic

Wow Ken! That's very cool! Sub 19 is quite a challenge. I'm in marathon training right now. I don't know when, but sub 19 will be a goal of mine too, one day.

Nice work kencamet.

I noticed you do a lot of easy running, sometimes entire weeks.

kcam

I do a LOT of easy running.  My fitness level is such that I can still make significant gains by just getting fitter rather than taking the risky approach of lots of speed training.   Other factors that may or may not apply to you, or others:  I'm old (and speed is definitely risky for me), I race often.  So far this year I've done 16 races (from 800m on the track to a 9.1 mile road race).  I wasn't even running in Jan/Feb so those 16 are from March to July 1st or about once a week on average.  That makes a difference in that racing as much as I do kinda precludes doing regular speed work.  Just my way, for sure not optimal but I have fun with it.

How's everyone else doing in getting that sub-20?

That's really impressive Ken. You're 13 years older than I am and you're kicking my butt on the 5k.
                    I think I went too far in the other direction this season -- insufficient recovery.

I've since read Pfitzinger's Faster Road Racing and I'm re-working my running to also incorporate his principles, the biggest change being more recovery days after VO2 max workouts and diet changes (more carbs -- whoohoo!). Sub 20:00 min 5k this fall or sooner!

AdamBryan

New to the forum, but I'll be running a 5K on 8/22/15 as part of a 10K training plan. Current 5K PR is 20:40, hoping to get below 20. I just started running more regularly a couple years ago, so I'm getting back into shape, but my actual PR is 18:28 back in 2008. Eventually I hope to move to sub-19, then sub-18 threads. We will see.

C-R

Well done Ken!

Took my first shot today.

19:50

Let's see if we can drop this thing 51 more.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hey congrats C-R!

Cyberic

Well done Ken!

Took my first shot today.

Let's see if we can drop this thing 51 more.

Great job!

Mmmmm...beer

I do a LOT of easy running.  My fitness level is such that I can still make significant gains by just getting fitter rather than taking the risky approach of lots of speed training.   Other factors that may or may not apply to you, or others:  I'm old (and speed is definitely risky for me), I race often.  So far this year I've done 16 races (from 800m on the track to a 9.1 mile road race).  I wasn't even running in Jan/Feb so those 16 are from March to July 1st or about once a week on average.  That makes a difference in that racing as much as I do kinda precludes doing regular speed work.  Just my way, for sure not optimal but I have fun with it.

How's everyone else doing in getting that sub-20?

FWIW, I do almost all easy running, almost no speed work over the three years that I've been running, certainly not anything consistent.  I think there's a lot to be said for just increasing your endurance, especially for beginners, with lots of easy miles.  My 5k PR has gone from 25:45 to 18:54 on basically nothing but easy miles.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

kcam

Thought I'd bump this thread .... anyone doing any racing?

Ran a 19:13 Sunday.  Fast, flat, certified course.  Good racing weather.  I was a little disappointed that I didn't go a little quicker but I slowed in mile 2 before picking it up again for mile 3.  Still the fastest 5K I've run since July of last year.  I'll take it and be happy!

Training-wise I've been getting in some decent mileage and even a steady diet of workouts.  It's starting to budge the needle I think.