Garmin 205/305? (Read 705 times)

Darla1

Wondering your thoughts about the Garmin 205. Having problems with my 201, I've had it for years. I got great advice to move up to the 205. When I went to Dick's sporting good store,they said they don't even carry the 205, only the 305. Trying to figure out the difference (besides the price tag!). The only thing I can tell is the heart rate monitor. Am I missing something? Wondering how important keeping track of heart rate is? I'm training for my first marathon, with a goal to just finish. I've ordered the 205 online, hope I did not make a mistake? Thanks for your help!
    HermosaBoy

The color and the HRM. That's about it...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I think the 205 locks on to 3 satellites and the 305 locks on to 4 so it is more stable. That being said I have lost satellite connection with the 305. Although it does pickup again fairly quickly.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I think the 205 locks on to 3 satellites and the 305 locks on to 4 so it is more stable. That being said I have lost satellite connection with the 305. Although it does pickup again fairly quickly.
          All GPS recievers use 4 satelites Wikipedia entry on how a GPS reciever figures out where it is. The 205 and 305 both have a newer receiver that gives a better estimate (through massively parallel correlation) than the older 101/201/301. The 405 I believe has a similar level of accuracy. The x05 receivers are better at low signal levels as well. Bottom line, the functionality difference between 205 and 305 that I've been able to tell is the heart rate monitor and ability to use a bike cadence sensor.
            Bottom line, the functionality difference between 205 and 305 that I've been able to tell is the heart rate monitor and ability to use a bike cadence sensor.
            Also the 305 works with the Garmin footpod; the 205 does not. The definitive list of differences:
          • HR monitoring
          • ability to interface with bike cadence sensor
          • ability to interface with footpod
          • color Otherwise, they are identical, including their GPS capabilities and software.
          • How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Darla1

Thank you all for the information. I think I'll be very happy with the 205. It should be delivered this morning. Can't wait to play with it!!