Almost 20 miles (Read 1454 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

I wish I can say that I did my first 20-miler, but google map insisted that it was only 19.6. Nonetheless it's still the furthest I've ever gone! I also gained some new experiences this time. I have sensitive stomach and usually avoid eating anything within 3 hours before I run, so that means for the last several weekend long runs in the morning I've never had breakfast (bad, yes, I know). This time I got up very early and ate a small granola bar and just sat around for 45 minutes before I headed out. I'm glad my stomach didn't revolt against it. I tried the GU gel for the first time at the 10 mile mark. I ate only half a pack with water as I'm weary of new stuff. About 10 minutes afterward the effect kicked in, but not the kind I was hoping for. My stomach felt weird (maybe bloated is the word?). It wasn't bad enough to really slow me down but it was a constant distraction for 20 to 30 minutes before it returned to normal again. I guess I will need to try something else next time. Along the way I almost ate a flying insect, that would have been my first also, but naturally I tried very hard to spit it out. My body told me to stop around 17 mile. Actually it was my butt (I don't know the proper anatomical term for whatever muscle is there) that was complaining the most. Then it was my lower back and my shoulders. They were really sore. My legs were tired but not sore, I'm not sure what that indicates. I was probably a little bit dehydrated at the end. I think I need to shop for a fuel belt or something. I'm hoping to get to 26.2 before the end of the year, is that reasonable or am I a little too ambitious?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congratulations!

I'm no expert, but I believe there are a variety of other things you could try during your long run for fueling -- and/or maybe you could stash a water bottle (or one with gatorade or endurox or something in it) somewhere along your route. Stuff to experiment with if you find time.

Or some people find they are comfortable carrying a water bottle in their hand (a so-called handheld).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Wing

Joggaholic

Thanks. I'm researching the water belts right now, but there are so many different varieties that it's just getting me more confused. Stashing bottles is certainly an option as well, but that means I'll have to carry the bottles for a good distance first anyway (my long run goes straight out and back) Maybe I'll post a separate thread to ask for opinions in that regard.

Thanks. I'm researching the water belts right now, but there are so many different varieties that it's just getting me more confused. Stashing bottles is certainly an option as well, but that means I'll have to carry the bottles for a good distance first anyway (my long run goes straight out and back) Maybe I'll post a separate thread to ask for opinions in that regard.

First off, I think your goal of 26.2 miles is reasonable.  Heck, if you can run 20, you can probably do 26.2. I only have GI issues when running if I eat something high in fiber before a run.  Depending on your effort level during the run, not eating before might be just fine--I do the majority of my runs (including long runs) as principally low-HR/easy, and I really feel like the only reason I take a gel on the long ones is so I'm "used to" them by the time my marathon gets here.

Do you have a marathon planned?  Do you just want to do 26.2 as a training run?

I have a hand bottle (Ironman Quickdraw, I think it's called) and I love it.  I resort to a Camelbak on long trails where no refills would be available, and I don't really like it, but deal with it.  I've never had luck with belts (and have returned FOUR of them).  Different strokes for different folks.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

Wing

Joggaholic

I'm only shooting for a 26 in training for now. I don't have enough experience/confidence in races to attempt a real one yet. I have only run two 5k races ever and I know I have trouble pacing myself in a race environment. During my last race I conveniently just "forgot" my pace and ended up racing too hard for my own good. I am at least a few 5k, 10k, and half marathon races away from trying something as serious as a real marathon Smile

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I'm only shooting for a 26 in training for now. I don't have enough experience/confidence in races to attempt a real one yet. I have only run two 5k races ever and I know I have trouble pacing myself in a race environment. During my last race I conveniently just "forgot" my pace and ended up racing too hard for my own good. I am at least a few 5k, 10k, and half marathon races away from trying something as serious as a real marathon Smile

If you are going to run 26 miles you may as well register for a race. No need to carry water. I have two 50k's and a marathon  coming up to prepare for a 50 miler so I do not have to carry food or water. Training runs. Smile (11/12*11/19*11/26) MM #3340

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Wing

Joggaholic

If you are going to run 26 miles you may as well register for a race. No need to carry water. I have two 50k's and a marathon  coming up to prepare for a 50 miler so I do not have to carry food or water. Training runs. Smile (11/12*11/19*11/26) MM #3340

Well, you've got me thinking and I looked around, and now I'm having sticker-shock!

True, although it can get expensive; and take a fair bit of time getting to/from races.

One alternative for long training runs (especially when it's hot) is to use a camelback (or similar) with some sports drink in. If you buy sports drink in powder form it's pretty cheap and you can experiment to find the concentration that suits you best.

I feel that once the wheels really come off there's little point continuing a training run. There's very little benefit to slogging out the last few miles just because you had a particular target distance planned if your legs are really suffering.

But the run gives you something to aim at next time. You should find that after a few long runs it becomes easier - but don't be too impatient - it takes time for your body to adapt. Also, there's always a tradeoff between pace and distance. Start long runs at a conservative pace. If you feel good then you can push the pace a bit at the end. It's much better to do it that way round than to start fast and then die towards the end.

Soreness in back and shoulders suggests that a bit of core work might help. Getting into doing regular situps, pushups, planks; pullups, dips, etc. You don't need to do a lot to make a difference - 5 or 10 mins a day will start to show results after a few weeks. Don't force it... ensure good form and stop before failure.

My opinion...you plan on doing 26 miles, you might as well sign up for a marathon.  Heck, it has more effect on people if you tell them you completed a marathon instead of just completing a 26 mile training run.  Just sayin'.  You pretty much did a 20 miler already seems you are on your way to being ready to tackle 26.  Continue to practice with fueling and hydrating during the long runs and look for a marathon to run towards the end of the year/early next year.

Wing

Joggaholic

Soreness in back and shoulders suggests that a bit of core work might help. Getting into doing regular situps, pushups, planks; pullups, dips, etc. You don't need to do a lot to make a difference - 5 or 10 mins a day will start to show results after a few weeks. Don't force it... ensure good form and stop before failure.

i c. Thanks for the pointers

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Well, you've got me thinking and I looked around, and now I'm having sticker-shock!

Prices vary a lot -- higher for the big races, especially Rock-n-Roll races - lower for club races, and for "FatAss runs".

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Wing

Joggaholic

I made it past 26 miles yesterday!!! I was barely doing 5k's back in July and I had never imagined that I would get this far!

Log

It is probably not necessary but I had to convince myself that I can run that distance before I go sign up for any real marathon event.

Congrats!  Pick a race and register for it.  It will help you stay motivated and consistent. 

Congrats,

Now pick a race and run it.  I'd bet you'd beat more than 60-70 % of all runners who run a marathon, including me.