Too Old to run (Read 591 times)

To Jules

Had to take a break for awhile, but trying to get back into running shape. I have a 12k in 12 days, first in like 2 years. I only hope it won't snow - yes, snow - we had a freak late snow storm that left about  2" on the ground. At least it will all melt today. Seriously, you are a real inspiration. I started at 50 as well, and can only hope to still be able to at least be hiking when I reach my 13th anniversary!

ACHood, lots of great advice here. I would add that it is easy to overdo it. Your cardiovascular endurance increases first, but it is important to go slowly to give your bones a chance to adapt to impact stress, also a good massage therapist can work wonders. Good luck!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

I started last fall right after I turned 65.  I did too much too soon and had to slow down.  But I did that, sloooowly increased my distances and I've done eight 5K races (the last 6 I've run the entire distance).

I had bursitis in my right hip about a year and a half ago which was healed and that hip started bothering a little after I started running.  I did some research and found  a couple of good exercises to do and that has got the hip soreness solved.

My right knee has suffered 2 traumas: one when I was 16 and one in my mid-fifties.  I did need a knee surgery to fix the last one.  I remembered some the PT exercises I did to get my knee working right after the knee surgery so I started doing those again and now the knee is feeling good.

This spring my left thigh started acting up with some mild muscle soreness.  I notice it the most when I first stand up after sleeping or sitting for a long period.  Once I start moving it feels fine.  There's a couple of pieces of advice posted here that I'm going to follow up on for that:  1)  get a roller and use it after I run.  2)  get a recommendation from my LRS for a PT who knows about aches and pains that runners experience and schedule an appointment.

It is a bit of a balancing act for older folks like me to run and keep everything feeling good, but it is achievable (and I am doing more now at this age than I ever imagined I could do).

Hang in there.  It's worth the effort.

Jean M.

OK,  some tough love:

You are not too old, so quit making excuses. You're a new runner, that's what causes your problems. That will be fixed by running really easy and building your mileage slowly. You will have setbacks, deal with it. It's not a reason to give up. BTW if there's pain involved then you need to back off on your effort, that means walking if necessary. It's not supposed to hurt.

BTW I'm 54 and running PR's. It took a few years to get there but you can do it.

Totally agree!!

ACHood:  awesome advice and strong support here.  Keep us posted.  I'm 53, female, and prefer trail running, still incorporate walk breaks during training and in races, and LOVE seeing 'older' runners flying by me on technical courses, but most gratifying for me is passing 30/40 yr olds, PRICELESS!!

Walk-Jogger

Totally agree!!

ACHood:  awesome advice and strong support here.  Keep us posted.  I'm 53, female, and prefer trail running, still incorporate walk breaks during training and in races, and LOVE seeing 'older' runners flying by me on technical courses, but most gratifying for me is passing 30/40 yr olds, PRICELESS!!

Speaking of priceless, I'm 58, and yesterday I ran an 8-mile hill climb, 2000' feet of elevation gain, and BEAT a relay team comprised of 4 teenagers up the hill. Six years ago at the age of 52 I was 40 lbs over weight, completely out of shape and felt old. Today at 58 I'm probably in the best shape of my life and feel younger than I did at 52. It's been a lot of hard work and a few injuries to work through to get here, but so totally worth it. The road from old and fat to fit and feeling younger starts with the first step, and there's no quitting along the way. Just do it.

Retired &  Loving It

Hoban-Jay

Too old to run !?   Tell that to Marshall Ulrich, who ran across the US....3,063 miles  (~5,000 km)  in 52 days.  The third fastest time ever...for any age...and he was 57 years old at the time.

Nobody has mentioned Ed Whitlock yet!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Whitlock

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Another one - I started at age 55 with no running experience.  It's been a great five years so far, and looking forward to many more.

PaintnRun

aka PaintingLady

I met Mike Fremont, age 91, who ran the Knoxville Half Marathon in 3:04. http://www.runnersworld.com/races/mike-fremont-91-finishes-knoxville-half-marathon-304

Too old? No, don't think so.......btw, he sure didn't LOOK 91.....didn't look even 71! Maybe he has found the fountain of youth and it is running coupled w/ a vegan diet.

Marie from Tennessee

Dumbo Double Dare!!!

Check out the age group results for the Honolulu Marathon.  Some guy in the 80-84 age group ran it in 4:00.02.

Once again, how old is too old?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Check out the age group results for the Honolulu Marathon.  Some guy in the 80-84 age group ran it in 4:00.02.

Once again, how old is too old?

I think I'll set that as a long range goal.  Check the sub-4 group in a couple of decades! Smile

Tramps

There's a whole freakin' user group here made up of people too old to run.  Bring your ID and check it out.

Gotta go.  It's 3:30; time for dinner.

Be safe. Be kind.

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

There's a whole freakin' user group here made up of people too old to run.  Bring your ID and check it out.

Gotta go.  It's 3:30; time for dinner.

Going on 7:30 ... yawn ...  night'all

Tim 

Walk-Jogger

Nobody has mentioned Ed Whitlock yet!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Whitlock

Ed Whitlock  has a facebook page - I just stumbled across it: https://www.facebook.com/EdWhitlockFanPage

Retired &  Loving It

cincyjacket

There are plenty of older women runners in my running group who started their running career late in life yet still kick ass. Don't get discouraged. You can do it. Just take it slow and be patient. I guarantee you will improve. Every run might not be great, but try and learn something from it. Analyze the conditions and the environment to try and explain your poor performance. On a similar note, when you do have a good run, try and understand why you ran so well that day. To that effect, I highly recommend you keep a running diary so you can document your progress.

Good luck and keep on running. For inspiration, there is a runner in my group who started running in her 50's and has just completed running a marathon in all 50 states!

Arimathea

Tessa

Not too old at all! I just turned 50 and my reaction was "hoo boy, a whole new age group!" But my times still aren't fast enough for me to place in many races, because there are plenty of older women who are running in their 50s and 60s and older. They routinely hand me my head on trail ultras.

To quote e.e. cummings: there's a dance in the old dame yet.

There is a daily over-40 thread in the Women's user group. You (and all other masters women) are welcome to join us! We're a group who are dealing with the challenges of being mature female runners who also juggle all the other facets of our lives: spouses, aging parents, children (some with special needs), jobs, finances, pets, other commitments. Come post, or lurk for a while and see if you'd like to join.