How long between Marathons/Training question (Read 683 times)

I just found this site! Looks like the old cool running, which I really miss. I just ran my first marathon last weekend May 4th. (Eugene, Or.) I finished, which is great, but my time was not what I wanted. (4:46) I was on track to do a 4:30 until mile 20, then I slowed considerably. I did run most of it (the walks thru the last water stops got longer and longer!) I hydrated well, and never felt like I "hit the wall". I feel I should be able to do a 4:20 to 4:30. I am 43, female, and have been running consistantly for three years. I have done 4, 1/2 marathons with 1:59 being my best time. I did three long runs of 18/20/22 in a beginners marathon program. My weekly mileage was NOT what it should have been. 16-20 miles run during the week, not counting the long run. Can I even consider running another July 29th, or is it too soon? I feel good, am not sore anymore, and only took two days off before I resumed running. (although have taken it very easy this week!) I know I need to have a better base, but what type of long runs should I do, as I am already "up there" with the long ones. Any help/advise would be much appreciated!
      Run more and you should have no problem. Feel free to check my log out if your looking for ideas (Sept, Oct and November of 07 when I did 3 marathons).

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

A Saucy Wench

a) its MUCH better than the old cool running. b) If you had not gotten the time you want because something went horribly wrong, I would say that July 29th would be feasible. But given the scenario you describe I would say you would be better off base building for a couple months and then maybe try for Portland or another fall marathon. Trying to force it in July is probably not going to be as productive as you would like. You could run it for sure, but not sure if you will get the time improvement. I think you said it pretty well yourself. It isnt the long run, it is the rest of the week. So drop your long runs down to 12-16 and work on the rest of the week until that mileage is good and up there and then start ramping up the long runs again. And start logging here and then people can chime in with lots of advice, probably conflicting! welcome! MTA: see - already conflicting advice in 2 posts.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Hawt and sexy

Just run more. You can do as many marathons as often as you want, but you can only race a few a year and do well. Do marathons as training runs if you want. Walk one. Become a Maniac. Or just build up a base and do another one in October. Whatever.

I'm touching your pants.

Just run more. You can do as many marathons as often as you want, but you can only race a few a year and do well. Do marathons as training runs if you want. Walk one. Become a Maniac. Or just build up a base and do another one in October. Whatever.
            DITTO!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

jfa

a) its MUCH better than the old cool running.
              Can't agree more with this one Cool

JakeKnight

Sure you can run another one. Just be careful. The single biggest key to improvement is consistency and remaining uninjured; the single biggest reason people don't improve is injury. Train accordingly. Mostly very easy, especially at this point. It'd be easier to give valid suggestions if we could see your log, by the way. You might find this recent thread interesting: http://runningahead.com/forums/post/3c0b58e4ea8a48739113ef677e126c39#focus

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------