Need some hamstring love... (Read 817 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm slowly re-introducing my body to running and I'm already feeling soreness Cry from a decade-old hamstring injury I got playing flag football (curse you out-and-up pattern! Evil grin). It's something I could run through w/o much difficulty, but I'm worried that when I race, there may be trouble. So obviously, I need to focus on flexibility and stretching. What I'm looking for is advice on strengthening my hamstrings. What kind of exercises do you folks recommend? I most likely won't have access to a gym, so I'm looking for things I can do at home. I thank you in advance for your help in making my hammies bullet-proof! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Along for the Ride

Buy a fitness ball (make sure you get a good size for you, there are several). One - lay on your back, arms by your sides, heels on the ball. Lift your pelvis up from the floor and roll the ball towards your bottom. Don't drop the hips! Keep rolling with hips up .Do 3 Reps of 12-15. If you're getting better, do some fast ones. Or one-legged ones (rest only one heel on the ball, the other leg is held in the air next to the working one.) Two - stand up against a wall with the ball behind you in your lower back. Feet shoulderwidth apart and in fron of you. You squat down and roll the ball down the wall. make sure you can still see the toes when in squat - otherwise you can hurt your knees. The second one is easier than the first one. Good luck!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

jakesdamajorbomb

I do the second one about 3 times a week--one legged, 3 sets of 15. I think i got it from runners-world.com. I you need more advice on injury prevention, they have a pretty good section.
        "Man imposes his own limitations, don't set any" - Anthony Bailey "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre "Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him,' and I just took off." - Pre "The will to win means nothing if you haven't the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I just got an exercise ball in the mail a few days ago. I'll definitely try these exercises out. Thanks! Smile Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I just got an exercise ball in the mail a few days ago. I'll definitely try these exercises out. Thanks! Smile Cheers, Jeff
            exercise balls are da bomb. I've used one for a desk chair for over 5 years...it leads to all kinds of spontaneous stretching/exercises. Big grin word of warning. if you have littles, make sure you don't let them play with the safety pins that some off of you race bibs. Safety pins and $50 exercise balls don't mix. Sad

Jennifer mm#1231

mkelley7

I feel your pain. While my father gave me some pretty darn good athletic genes he also gave me glass hamstrings. I'm only 21 and I've strained both hamstrings in two weeks. I've been thinking about maybe yoga or something along those lines and possibly wearing a sleeve.
              shyrunner07

word of warning. if you have littles, make sure you don't let them play with the safety pins that some off of you race bibs. Safety pins and $50 exercise balls don't mix. Sad
                nor do cats and $50 exercise balls. Tongue