Massage 2 days before HM... (Read 70 times)

Good idea?  Terrible idea?

I have been dealing with posterior shin splints for the last 2-3 weeks, using a combination of relative rest, ice, stretching, strengthening, and massage.  I am now pain-free, though I still have a long way to go towards preventing a recurrence.  In any case, I have a massage scheduled for Friday, and my HM is on Sunday- I'm just not sure if I should skip the massage, and perhaps save it for the day after the race?   Any experiences that you can share would be appreciated!

A bit more info- the massages have been leaving me pretty sore.  I had my last massage last Friday, and my glutes and calf muscles are still tender to the touch this morning.  That being said, I did go out and run four miles after dropping my daughter at school, and my legs felt great once I was warmed up.  No pain or discomfort at all.  As for the HM itself- I have thrown my time goals right out the window, and have decided to just do this one for fun.  No point pushing it too hard while coming back from injury- the long term goal is to run for life!

Thanks in advance!

Back in the saddle, after three years off...

Goals- To stay healthy and uninjured...

Catwoman, I would make a point to the therapist that you have a race in two days. I'd also drink very well before and after the massage.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

+1. I wouldn't do deep tissue 2 days before a race. Swedish massage would be just fine.  I generally make sure I'm at least 5 days out from a race if I'm getting deep tissue.  It's a nice way to kick off a taper. :-)

MTA: Some places provide a "sports massage" as well which would work.

Catwoman, I would make a point to the therapist that you have a race in two days. I'd also drink very well before and after the massage.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!