An alternative to Motion Based? (Read 1783 times)

Run Tracker I found this while stumbling around the Runner's World website the other day. It allows GPS enabled phones to load the GPS tracks. It also accepts Garmin history files. It provides similar functionality to MB but does it all on one page, does not limit how many workouts you can review/edit, has a more pleasing interface (to me), and allows publishing of the GPS data to a blog. Looks cool and may be a good alternate for Garmin users until Eric releases the GPS integration to RA.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Mike: Correct me if I am wrong but didn't running ahead sell this forum functionality to runners world as well. So right now you can get all of the features of runningahead but also those of downloading your garmin? Look I'm a loyal type of guy but that sounds awesome. It would be great to download my workouts right into the calendar functionality. Is Eric close to having something like that? I really hope so because I want to stay here. I really like our close knit group. Eric, can you respond to this if you read it please?
        2011 Goals:
        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
      Sulli42

The Wireless run tracker is independent of the Running Log, it's similar to motionbased, in that it just shows your basic stats for a given run. The Running Log at Runners World still does not have any import features... yet. I've recently started using Sporttracks to analyze the data from my 305, and personally I like it better than anything else I've tried.
          Bearcat - like Rundog said - it's totally independent. It's a neat toy to play with - and it does not support automatic uploading like MB. You must get the data off the Garmin with something else, like GTC and then upload it. It's not a question of loyalty. Eric's log is still, in my opinion, the best running log on the planet. When he adds the GPS uploader, we can upgrade that to best running log in the universe. I think some of the features they have in Run Tracker or MB would just make Eric's site all the more awesome. I like SportTracks too. It does everything I want except send the data to RA and correct the elevation.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Wingz

Professional Noob

The running log on the Runner's World IS the running log from RunningAHEAD. Runner's World was going to develop or buy a running log, so Eric sold them a copy of his... but he didn't sell his ingenuity, personal service, or any of the other things that make this such a great site (like my groups, lol!). Eric's been working hard on the GPS upload stuff... and... I think I can safely say that the quality of programming Eric puts out is top-notch. That's why RW wanted to buy it in the first place! I am sure that it'll be worth the wait, and since Eric did NOT sell any features that are currently being developed (like the GPS) this site will remain top-o-the-line. Big grin In short, RunningAHEAD's the best. Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

The running log on the Runner's World IS the running log from RunningAHEAD.
              Well, it was the running log before Eric's last batch of updates. He's put a few improvements in since licensing the software...

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

eric :)

Hi guys, The short answer is yes, I'm still working on it. All the "plumbing" is done. I still need to work on the program that interacts with the Garmin, but it can already read the data and send it to the server. I had to redo the logs because new pages need to put in to handle the data from the GPS. That translates to redoing the log pages to handle the inadequacies. It's a big job so it takes time. I only licensed the training log portion of the site to RW, but that's pretty much the bulk of this site. RW has the Bones In Motion functionality long before I licensed my software to them. I'm not sure if they'll integrate that to the log. As for me, since I'm independent, I have no bias against any GPS devices where as Motion Based might. I'm putting in a lot of hours to get this thing done, and no one wants it out more than me. I just hope that it'll live up to the expectations. eric Smile
                Sulli42

I like SportTracks too. It does everything I want except send the data to RA and correct the elevation.
                  Actually, there is a plugin for Sporttracks that will correct elevation. Big grin http://sporttracks.zonefivesoftware.com/Discussion/viewtopic.php?t=2269&sid=b03c8c4c88e13c35825e7f374030d9bb
                  RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Eric: Trust me when I say this, You are doing an AWESOME job. When I say I love this site I really mean I love this site. Since I program all day I can feel your pain. It is hard to be on the other side waiting for the product. The day I can upload my Garminator up to your site and have my runs logged into your calendar features will be one of my happiest running days! Is this the only you do or is this just a hobby and you have another job? I will try to be patient, as if I have any other choice. Can you guess when you think it might be rolled out. I would be happy to be a beta tester. Michael
                      2011 Goals:
                      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)